Athasian Shadow Dragon Prestige Class 3.5

Originally posted by cnahumck:

Here is a start at a variant AB PrC. I am still trying to figure out what to make different about it to differentiate it from the Dragon PrC. This is still a rough outline, and I am open to any suggestions. They use the Epic Spells system to become shadow dragons, just like normal dragons, only their damage resistance stacks?, and their breath weapon is cold based energy from the black. Damage reamains the same. Thanks in advance. Also, sorry in advance for any formating problems. I am not 100% sure how to create a table for the level dependant powers.

Athasian Shadow Dragons

Hit Die: d12

Requirements:
To qualify to become an athasian shadow dragon, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 24 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 12 ranks.
Feats: Great Fortitude, any 2 metamagic feats and 2 metapsionic feats.
Spells: Must be able to cast 9th-level arcane spells and manifest 6th-level psionic powers.
Special: Must be able to draw upon the Black for spell energy. Must have the Shadespeak class feature. Must have the Black-Touched Template. Must be a defiler and have cast the defiler metamorphosis I spell.

Class Skills
The athasian dragon’s class skills (and key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Literacy (none), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Athasian dragons gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells and Powers per Day: Starting at 2nd level, and at each level thereafter, an Athasian dragon gains an effective caster level and manifester level increase in an existing arcane spellcasting class and an existing manifester class, for purposes of determining level-dependant spell and power effects (including augmentation), overcoming SR/PR and dispel effects. He does not receive additional spells per day, power points, known powers or learn new spells, nor does he gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

Shadow Type: A Shadow Dragon at first level gains a number of benefits due to her connection with the Black.

For every level that she gains in the Shadow Dragon PrC, the radius of the Unnatural Aura increases 10ft.

When the Shadow Dragon would gain a breath weapon, it ignores the effect listed in the metamorposis epic spell, and instead follows this rule:
Dragon’s breath: The shadow dragon’s breath weapon is a cone of shadow stuff (as a regular athasian dragon), it does d10 dmg for every 2 HD 1/2 from abrasion, 1/2 from cold. Also, those damaged must make a fortiude save (20 + 1/2 HD) or lose 1 point of strenght per 5 HD of the Dragon.

Finally, the Shadow Dragon is constantly surrounded by whips of shadow that spring forth from her body and the shadows around her; this operates as a constant blur effect, mimicking the spell.

Shadow Dragon Magic (Su): Athasian shadow dragons can choose to power their spells with energy from the Black rather than plants. While this is not something new to the caster, the amount of energy that the character is able to channel is increased, drawing the Black “closer” to the Prime Material plane. When using the Black, the “terrain” is treated as fertile. Casting in this way is considered defiling and subject to all the rules thereof. Living creatures caught in the defiling radius of the athasian shadow dragon, when they are using shadow dragon magic take 1 point of cold damage per level of the spell being cast. (0 level spells inflict 1 point of cold damage.) All those caught within the defiling radius also have to make a fortitude save (DC Caster level + ½ Int modifier) or suffer a 2 point penalty on all attack, damage, and initiative rolls for 1 round/ spell level. Shadow Dragon magic requires a piece of masterwork obsidian of a value of least 250cp as a focus.

<br />
Class level Special Spells and powers per day <br />
1st Shadow Dragon magic,Shadow Type,Shadow Mastery,+1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level <br />
2nd Shadow Form +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
3rd Shadow Mastery, Psionic Enchantment +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
4th Shadow Form +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
5th Shadow Mastery +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
6th Shadow Form, Psionic Enchantment +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
7th Shadow Mastery +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
8th Shadow Form +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
9th Shadow Mastery, Psionic Enchantment +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />
10th Shadow Form +1 effective Arcane caster/Manifester level<br />

Shadow Mastery:

At first level, and every odd level thereafter, the Shadow Dragon Gains a new Shadow Mastery ability from the list below. These abilities are not spells or psionics, and are not effected by anti-magic/psionic effects, or dispelling/disruption effects:

Shadow Minions: The Shadow Dragon can create and control Shadow constructs. These function just like the Astral Constructs would, only they are composed of shadow stuff from the Black. A Shadow Dragon may control 2 HD of Shadow minions per character level. To create these creatures, the Shadow Dragon must cast Animate Dead and use the psionic power Astral Construct.

The Numbing Touch of Darkness: When casting a spell or manifesting a power that causes damage, the Shadow Dragon may choose to make the damage also come from the black. Damage dealt gains the cold descriptor, and causes the victim to be dazed for 1 round from the numbing cold of the black on a failed fortitude save (DC 10 + spell level + int modifier).

Delve into Darkness: The Shadow Dragons control over light increases and she may now increase or decrease the light with a thought. For each Shadow Dragon level she possesses she may increase or decrease the amount of light by 10% per round at will. This effects vision as normal.

Raze the Black: The shadow dragon can choose to raze the Black, drawing the two planes closer together and casting creatures from one plane into the other. When a shadow dragon deflies, she may choose to sacrifice 1 hit point per spell level, in exchange for every other being in the defliling radius making a Reflex save (DC Caster Level + 1/2 Int modifier) or be sucked into the Black. Each round that someone is trapped in the Black they suffer 3d10 points of damage (cold) and must make a Fortitude check (DC 25) or lose 1 point of Str, Dex, and Con from the numbing effects of the Black. Creatures native to the Black are thrust into the Prime Plane and must make a Fortitude save (DC 25) or are stunned and slowed. These effects last for 1 round per spell level, after which the two planes return to normal, barring any future use of the Raze the Black psionic enchantment.

Target Shadow: Once per day per time chosen, the Shadow dragon is able to Attack an individuals shadow, rather than the the individual themsleves. this attack bypasses damage resistance, SR, PR, and, if a physical attack or a ranged attack, uses the target’s Touch attack AC, ingnoring magical protections and natural armor, but allowing dexterity or luck bonuses.

Shadow Taint: The Shadow Dragon can taint magic and psionic weapons by touching
them. It makes a touch attack against the weapon. The touch does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If the Shadow Dragon hits, the weapon or its wielder must make a Will save. Failure means the weapon permanently loses one point of its enhancement bonus. A weapon drained to a +0 enhancement bonus loses all other magic and psionic properties.

Shadow Shift: Once per day per time taken the Shaodw Dragon can “drop” himself and all creatures within 30 feet into the Black. Everyone stays there for 1 round per level of the shadow dragon. the only way to avoid this shift is dimensional anchor or some similar type of spell or power.

Shadow Strike: May cast spells or use powers through shadows to attack and determine line of sight. Range remains the same. This power is usable once per day per time taken.

Shadow shaping: The Dragon may shape shadow stuff into solid physical objects they last of 1 hour per dragon level. He may shape up to 10 cubic feet per dragon level.

Shadow Illusions: The caster is able to use shadows to better fuel their illusion spells. The caster gains all the benifits of specialization in this school of magic, without the normal penalties.

Shades of Destruction: The shadows in an area lash out at those in the area, causing 10d6 cold damage to all in a 20ft radius. This has a range of 400 ft, and is usable 1/day/dragon level.

Shadow Forms:

At second level, and every even level thereafter, the Shadow Dragon Gains a new Shadow Forms ability from the list below. These abilities are not spells or psionics, and are not effected by anti-magic/psionic effects, or dispelling/disruption effects:

Afraid of the Dark: Using shadows to draw upon the fears of those around him, the dragon gives off an aura of fear. The Dragon’s frightful presense ability no longer needs line of sight to the dragon and it doubles the range of the abilities.

Shadow Awareness: The Dragon can hear, see and smell through any shadows in a one mile radius for one turn per dragon level. This is usable once per day per time taken.

Shadow Armor: The caster surronds themselves with an armored cloak of shadows, which acts as the spell mage armor cast at the casters level. This power is a constant effect.

Hide in the Dark: Improved invisibility 1/day per time taken.

Shadow Cloud: May assume a form that is the same as the gaseous form spell at will. It is a billowing cloud of shadow.

Shadow Duplicates: The dragon can use mimic the spell Mirror Image at will, once per day per time chosen. however, when struck, the duplicate images only disappear half the time.

Shadow Size: Understanding that a Shadow’s size is independent of the size of the thing making the shadow, a Shadow Dragon who selects this ability may spend a full round action to increase or decrease his size category by one size for every 3 levels he possesses, rounded down. All changes to abilities based on his new size category take effect immediately. Using this ability provokes an attack of opportunity. It is usable once per day per time taken.

Healed by the Light: Whenever the Shadow dragon is within some sort of light, they are regenerate damage. This damage is healed based on the amount of light present. a light spell or a torch heals 1 point per round. A daylight spell, or partial direct sunlight heals 2 points per round. Bathing directly in the light of the dark sun heals 3 points per round. This ability is constantly active if chosen. If chosen more than once, the effects stack.

Shadow Stride: The dragon’s shadow jump ability is increase ten fold (x10) every time this ability is chosen. He must start within a shadow and end within a shadow that is not his own.

Shadow Strength: Drawing upon the Black, the Shadow Dragon gains a +1 enhancement bonus to Str, Dex, and Con. The Dragons deflection bonus also increases by +1 per level. This ability lasts for 1 turn per dragon level, and is usable once per time taken.

Psionic Enchantments

At 3rd Level and every three levels after, the Shadow Dragon gains a Psionic Enchantment. For the choices available, see Epic Rules at athas.org

Epic Synergy:
The Advanced Being is able to use his spellcraft and psicraft skills together for epic spells and manifestations. The AB must have both the epic spellcasting feat, and the epic manifesting feat. When using this ability, the AB gains half of his psicraft score added as a synergy bonus to all DC checks for epic spells.

Originally posted by Sysane:

I like what your trying to do, but this mirrors the original Dragon PrC to closely IMO. If your going to do a shadow dragon variant I’d suggest making original/unique abilities in the vein of raze the black. Not that its OGC, but what if you handled this like a substitution level sort of system rather its own full blown PrC?

For starters, you could add abilities like a different type of breath weapon thats super frozen sand and deals str drain or the ability to sacrifice spell slots in order to cast an unprepared illusion spell of equal level on the fly.

Just some suggestions. Hope you find them helpful

[quote]I like what your trying to do, but this mirrors the original Dragon PrC to closely IMO. If your going to do a shadow dragon variant I’d suggest making original/unique abilities in the vein of raze the black. Not that its OGC, but what if you handled this like a substitution level sort of system rather its own full blown PrC?

For starters, you could add abilities like a different type of breath weapon thats super frozen sand and deals str drain or the ability to sacrifice spell slots in order to cast an unprepared illusion spell of equal level on the fly.

Just some suggestions. Hope you find them helpful [/quote]
yeah, at work today I thought about it, and decided that it was too similar. given that, I have changed some things. I have just edited the post so that one does not need to scroll down. thank you for the suggestions. please let me know what you think about the shadow mastery abilities, are they too powerful, ect. I also changed the rate of advancement for the spellcaster and manifester levels, to tone things down and change things some. anyway, it’s out in the universe now, like it or not. please also know that this is just a first attempt, so be brutally honest. I have similar ideas for Storm Dragons and Necromantic Dragons.

Originally posted by csk:

That’s a lot of info in one paragraph, and a lot of abilities at 1st level. Maybe spread some of these out over a few levels. Also you might want to throw some italics in there for the names of spells to help parsing the text.

Also you might want to re-format the table; it’s very hard to read in its current state.

[quote]Shadow Mastery:

At first level, and every even level thereafter, the Shadow Dragon Gains a new Shadow Mastery ability from the list below. These abilities are not spells or psionics, and are not effected by anti-magic/psionic effects, or dispelling/disruption effects:[/quote]
Along with Psionic enchantments and increases to caster/manifester levels, everything interesting seems to happen to this class at even levels. Maybe make some of the abilities gained at odd levels.

How is this like a cleric at all? How are these created, how long do they last, what level of astral construct do they mimic? How often is this ability useable? Are they summoned constructs or constructed on Athas (do they have the extraplanar subtype)?

Why an ability based on light and heat when the Black is all about darkness and cold? Why not just have them fire bolts of Black (negative) energy? I’d also suggest picking one of bolt or ball type effect, not a choice.

Maybe just use the Shadow Jump ability of a shadowdancer, since that already a nicely defined ability.

How long does this last and how often can it be used?

Also, for these Shadow Mastery abilities, after twelve levels in the class the character runs out of options. I know that’s already a lot, but altering some of these abilities so that they can be taken multiple times would help.

The dragon isn’t really “razing” anything with this so maybe a different name (like Open Black Hole ;)). Are these rules for damage from the Black consistent with rules in other material (if there are any)?

I think these ideas are pretty cool, but they need some tweaking to make them work right. And the idea of an Athasian Shadow Dragon is awesome… (as if regular Dragons weren’t bad enough.)

[quote]That’s a lot of info in one paragraph, and a lot of abilities at 1st level. Maybe spread some of these out over a few levels. Also you might want to throw some italics in there for the names of spells to help parsing the text.

Also you might want to re-format the table; it’s very hard to read in its current state.[/quote]
yeah, I am not sure how to do that, but I am working on it.

That was a typo, Shadow Mastery happens every even level.

Still havent worked all this out, but the cleric part was a bit off and has been removed. personally, I like the idea of these little, or big, shadow creatures that run around and do his bidding, espeacially since animals won’t go near him.

Choice is removed, it’s a bolt. As for the Light effect, I wanted some abilities based on light, because on athas, both light and darkness are important to the Black. I remember the Shadow Giants needed light to survive, and so I though it appropriate. I also added to the list a ability that regenerates the character when bathed in sunlight.

I thought about this, but that is already a feature included in the Shadow Wizard PrC, and wanted something slightly different. I may change it to increase that ability though, depends on people preference.

I haven’t decided how long to make things last for, or how often they can be used, but I am working things out so they aren’t overpowered. any suggestions along these lines would be helpful.

I wil be changing that.

The damaged caused is based of the effects of the greater Shadow Giant monster’s ability to create a fog bank of the Black. I called it Razing because it adversely effects both sides, and the creatures within the Black are stunned and slowed.

Thanks for the input. I really appriciate it. Once I (we, as in the boards) hammers this out, I think it is adaptable to Necromant and Ceurlean Wizards as well, with some minor tweaking. Again, the ideas a rough, but slowly comming together. Thanks again for the input.

Personally, I’d remove the Psionic Enchantment ability completely from this PrC and focus on the shadow aspect of the shadow dragon. The shadow dragon character could always take levels of the original Athasian Dragon PrC in order to gain Psionic Enchanment and those other abilities.

Again, adding that its breath weapon causes str drain and sacrificing spells slots to spontaneously cast illusions spells would fit perfectly IMO.

Actually after some thought, I really agree with you. I am changing the powers gained to be of 2 different types, external and personal. so every other level you get a Shadow Mastery power, and the opposite levels you get a Shadow Form power. Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by xlorepdarkhelm_dup:

First, I’d like to say… this is an interesting approach to the problem, and so far, I find it intriguing to say the least. I definitely can see variant transformations for the various energy sources – however only as Dragons (I just don’t see Shadow Avangions as a possibility here – the way the alternative energy sources have been layed out, the idea is someone trying to circumvent the Preserver way in order to be able to have the power of a Defiler without the massive visible destruction of the land – but by tapping into a power source without really comprehending the full effects this could do to himself or the source he’s draining – it seems sort of careless and doesn’t warrent access to becoming an Avangion IMO).

I’m personally against that idea. Why? Because Psionic Enchantments have not been slated for being “Athasian Dragon” Only. They are universal to all Advanced Beings – and may still have more added into the mix – the idea behind Advanced Beings is the blending of Psionics and Magic (or rather, using Psionics to augment/enhance Magic) – an Athasian Shadow Dragon would still fall well within that category, and thus should have the Psionic Enchantments available to it. If anything, maybe the development of these could be slower than a “normal” (that word just doesn’t sound right here) Athasian Dragon.

Where the Shadow Dragon would have differences is the Shadow Dragon Magic, rather than the regular Dragon Magic (the defiling of animals).

[quote]I’m personally against that idea. Why? Because Psionic Enchantments have not been slated for being “Athasian Dragon” Only. They are universal to all Advanced Beings – and may still have more added into the mix – the idea behind Advanced Beings is the blending of Psionics and Magic (or rather, using Psionics to augment/enhance Magic) – an Athasian Shadow Dragon would still fall well within that category, and thus should have the Psionic Enchantments available to it. If anything, maybe the development of these could be slower than a “normal” (that word just doesn’t sound right here) Athasian Dragon.

Where the Shadow Dragon would have differences is the Shadow Dragon Magic, rather than the regular Dragon Magic (the defiling of animals).[/quote]
I don’t see it as such, but if psionic enchantments had to be included I agree that a slower progression would work.

Originally posted by nytcrawlr:

Ok, I am loving this.

But it seems like that having the Black Touched template should be more of a prereq than an ability that is gained to me. Depowers this a little bit and makes more sense anyways.

[quote]Ok, I am loving this.

But it seems like that having the Black Touched template should be more of a prereq than an ability that is gained to me. Depowers this a little bit and makes more sense anyways.[/quote]
I have to agree. Gaining the black touched template shouldn’t be that hard for an epic level wizard to bestow on themselves.

yeah, you are right about the black touched template. So I will fix it. And as far as the Psionic Enchantments, I will add them, but at every 3rd level? And does everyone think the spell/psionic progression is acurate? I wanted it to be slower to ofset some of the other abilities gained, as the PrC deals more with learning how to use your power to manipulate the Black. Anyway, thanks for the input. I must agree that I can’t really see any variant energy sources go the preserver route, and they should be considered delifers.

I like pretty much all the abilities you have listed except for the following:

It doesn’t strike me as being all that shadowy or black related.

What about an ability that allows the shadow dragon to add cold descriptor to his spell’s damage type (i.e. a magic missile that does both force and cold damage) and dazes the targeted creature(s) for 1 rd due to numbing?

Originally posted by nytcrawlr:

Yeah, the Light in the Darkness ability I was scratching my head over too.

Or basically leave the ability as is, but change the light to cold and force damage with 1rd per die of damage due to numbing.

And of course, change the name of the ability.

Definately pondering what a cerulean dragon might have for abilities now.

Originally posted by csk:

I’m personally against that idea. Why? Because Psionic Enchantments have not been slated for being “Athasian Dragon” Only. They are universal to all Advanced Beings – and may still have more added into the mix – the idea behind Advanced Beings is the blending of Psionics and Magic (or rather, using Psionics to augment/enhance Magic) – an Athasian Shadow Dragon would still fall well within that category, and thus should have the Psionic Enchantments available to it. If anything, maybe the development of these could be slower than a “normal” (that word just doesn’t sound right here) Athasian Dragon.

Where the Shadow Dragon would have differences is the Shadow Dragon Magic, rather than the regular Dragon Magic (the defiling of animals).[/quote]
Has the epic bureau considered making psionic enchantments into feats, perhaps with a new type like Metamixture [Psionic Enchantment]? That way the same rules wouldn’t have to be reprinted for each advanced being, while still allowing for differences in the class based on requirements (like requires arcane spellcasting or requires defiling). And of course the [Psionic Enchantment] type for feats would have standard restrictions like [Wild] feats or [Epic] feats.

Originally posted by xlorepdarkhelm_dup:

That more or less was what I was shooting for. Collecting them all into a single unified location, part of the overall Advanced Being document, and not reprinted for each and every separate Advanced Being. I feel they are something every AB has access to by virtue of being an Advanced Being, and could provide the “universal” aspect all Advanced Beings share. By working them into a set of feats, it also opens the possibility that an Advanced Being could spend their “normal” Feat slot they received from gaining character levels towards more Psionic Enchantments, and we could easily figure out other prerequisites/restrictions for them. My goal is to use them as the way to blend Magic and Psionics together for the Advanced Beings.

ok, I guess you guys are right about the light based ability, it will be changed to something else. I liked the cold and force idea. Also, I added a psionic enchanment to the list. thanks again for all the good feedback. I kinda expect the other variant casters to be in this same vein, so if anyone wanted to take a crack at it, they should feel free. If not, i’ll try to start on one next week.

I was using the magic missile more as an example. The ability should be applied to all damaging spells the cast by the SD. Fireball could do half fire/ half cold, lightning bolt would half electricity/ half cold etc… as well as automatically dazing targeted creatures for 1 rd due to numbing cold.

It adds a bit of black/shadowy flavor to the PrC.

oh, I guess is miss understood. Thinking about it, I think that a spell could do the same thing, so I’ll drop that ability and add the one you are talking about. everything else good though?

Ok, I think the PrC is mostly done, barring some minor tweeking. So on to step two: Should the Epic Spell progression be changed at all? Should the transformation differ from that of a normal Dragon in anyway besides cosmetically (which won’t change the spells series at all)?

Good ability, but this may need to be reworded. I also down grade it from automatically stunning creatures to dazing the targets on a failed Fort save against a DC equal to the spell level cast and the SD’s Int mod.

Fixed. Any comments on a slightly different spell progression? I am on the fence. I am not talking major changes, just a few minor “tweaks.”

I stick with the spell progression of the revised athasian dragon PrC. You don’t want to slow the SD’s progression. They’re still a manifester/arcane caster just like the original AD in the end.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that there’s a difference between stunning and dazing a target. If you want to keep that numbing touch of the black stuns creatures that’s fine, but I just wanted to point that out

[quote]I stick with the spell progression of the revised athasian dragon PrC. You don’t want to slow the SD’s progression. They’re still a manifester/arcane caster just like the original AD in the end.

I just wanted to bring to your attention that there’s a difference between stunning and dazing a target. If you want to keep that numbing touch of the black stuns creatures that’s fine, but I just wanted to point that out [/quote]
sorry about that, I will fix that back to dazed then.

I’m just giving you suggestions mind you. You can do what you will. Its after all your PrC. :wink:

yeah, I know, but dazed is a better effect for what is attempted. And I really do appriciate the help in refining the PrC.

Originally posted by jaanos:

Gotta say, it’s a great start. I floated the idea of varient AB’s many times, and your take on a shadow dragon is almost exactly what i had developed on stractch paper before packing house and moving country!

My only feedback would be to name the raze-the-black abilities a bit more differently and perhaps include illusions / illusion magic a bit more often.

I’ve always thought that a Grey Dragon, or a Tyr-Storm Linked Avignon would be kinda cool. Anyway, thumbs up and get working at it!

Jaanos

This topic was automatically closed after 2 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.