Beards on Athas

Does anyone have beards on Athas?
I know we’ve discussed the beardlessness of dwarves but I just realized that none of the Brom Dark Sun art has any bearded faces.
Do men shave regularly on Athas or have Athasian humans lost their beards (along with their Dwarven counterparts)?
If the Rhulisti created these races, maybe they just never thought to put beards on them. :stuck_out_tongue:

If there is any canon on this, I don’t know about it. But you are right that the only time I’ve seen facial hair on any of the characters in any of the art it’s mainly been the rare wispy villain goatee or Dick Dastardly moustache. Never seen a full beard on anyone.

Maybe it is too hot for it…

1 Like

There’s various black and white interior art that depicts beards.

3 Likes

I’m confidant that Athasian Santa is bearded. Though I imagine he doesn’t use elves to make his gifts, since they’d just rob his workshop and flee to the wastes.

3 Likes

Also the Shadow King Nibenay was bearded when he looked more human. In fact the Nagaramakam is a copy of his face with a full beard made up of the dancing forms of his wives.

1 Like

OMG, the Athasian Santa post is hilarious!
Does he get around in a silt-skimmer pulled by 8 tiny crodlu?

2 Likes

thanks @Sysane Where do those illustrations come from?

Those two are out of the Veiled Alliance book.

2 Likes

Probably just Erdlu knowing Santa, but every year Athasians recieve a gift under their Winter Solstice Cactus. But if you’ve been naughty you need to watch out for the Krangus, a bearded( :wink: ) devil stranded on Athas that wanders the wastes every winter.

1 Like

Hahahaha!!! Winter Solstice Cactus is brilliant!
Does Krangus cart off naughty children to work in the obsidian mines?

It’s easier for an artist to do without a beard? I don’t read into it anything more

1 Like

I would assume that races which have facial hair have beards as appropriate for the bronze age cultures their city state is based off of. For example, Urik is based off of Ur, IIRC, so I’d expect the men to have Sumerian-style beards, particularly the nobles.

2 Likes