Darksun 3.5e Revision 8 = When?

@Xelu That would be me.

I am bound by the terms of the Charter, until such time as it is officially declared discontinued by WotC. As such it cannot be legally released anywhere but here, and I’m not willing to gamble on WotC lawyers remaining hands off. Thus the Council needs to release it for it to become available here.

I am unwilling to work on my additional projects of interest associated with this site (Psionics of Athas, revisions to prestige and base classes, revisions to psionics, variant epic rules, changes to culture, lifestyle, and ecosystems consistent with psionics, and other revisions to the rule set) until such time as I get access to Athas file storage and html files so that I can update things myself, or one of the Council becomes active enough to be responsive.

4th and 5th edition both are lacking in my view (though 5e does have a lot of good stuff), so I will not consider conversion to either edition at this time.

Having said that, please note that the v8 is nothing more than a spell check and grammar check, as per @flip . I was asked not to make changes to the rules. Even suggested changes.

At this point I have moved beyond waiting patiently, and started designing my own rpg systems which will allow me to release my material under my control and terms. As an individual, however, that will likely be a slow process.

2 Likes

Thank you for being clear.

It’s no longer a shame, but a lack of respect to the fans that this site cannot go beyond their own vision and seek, no, allow those who wishes to keep the flame active.

I’m sad.

2 Likes

How hard is it to anoint the regulars here as Templars to continue the work?

Me too!

1 Like

Do the terms of the charter specify how other templars/officers are anointed?

1 Like

I don’t believe so. The owner of the site could simply make people Templars.

This is what we know about the Charter. (It is pretty vague and only details terms between WotC and Athas - along with the additional Other Worlds sites.)

@raddu you mentioned in the Charter thread linked here in my post that you would get stuff posted. Does that perchance extend to getting the pdf of r8 posted by any stretch of the imagination?

@Rovewin @redking The selection of Templars and/or Council members is up to the Council, if my understanding is correct. Which would likely be an @flip and @raddu thing, as they are the only non-retired Overcouncil members left.
Here is a list of Athas staff levels and responsibilities for those who might be interested. Please be kind and respectful when contacting these folks.

Based on various conversations I have had with various Athas staff members over the past couple of years, there is not much interest on the part of some individuals (who I choose to remain nameless at this point) in anything 3.x related. Nor is there much interest in following the Charter anymore, and there are a number that feel the Charter is effectively defunct. (However, in my opinion, it’s not technically over until the lawyers on WotC/Hasbro payroll sing… so…)

Despite that, those same individuals are quick to refuse to release any 2e related material, citing binding agreements related to the formation of Athas.org… which is apparently not strictly part of the Charter, but were more verbal or informal based on what I can gather? Well, I cannot blame them for wanting to keep their promises, so I have nothing negative to say about that.

However, even if those individuals are not interested in producing more 3.x related works, I do wish to complain about the effective blocking of those who ARE interested. Including the up-conversion of 2e to 3e, or down-conversion of 4e and 5e to 3e. If being the squeaky wheel will get some 3.x grease, then I’ll volunteer to be respectfully annoying, lol.

On the positive side, @flip IS planning on updating the Athas site to make certain things easier, though due to ongoing real life stuffs, no particular ETA has been indicated to my awareness.

5 Likes

@nijineko please send me what you have to Raddu@athas.org.

3 Likes

Yes, sir, I shall send that to you.

2 Likes

I hope you don’t expect him to reformat it. That’s not going to happen.

If there is reformatting needed, I will gladly take it on as an additional request, since I updated the document.

…and email sent to @raddu .

1 Like

If Ninjineko is capable of reformatting, then I am requesting that the go-ahead be given for his small edit of DS 3.5 Core Rules. Ninjineko, with permission, can publish it right here on the forum. If it doesn’t meet the requirements of athas dot org, it need not make the main page. If it does meet the requirements, then put it up.

It is being looked at and edited further. @flip what’s your ETA on the last pass?

1 Like

You should add in the water rules.

3 Likes

I mentioned it to Flip.

5 Likes

Hey there! This thread is a little more than a year old since the release of r8 to the templarate!

When can we hope to see r8 ? Thanks!

1 Like

Ninjineko’s edit is not formatted. You can’t expect any of the absent leadership to stop what they are doing and start formatting it. The only way r8 is going to happen is if the product is delivered complete with formatting.

Well, if Nijineko wants to join our development team, we can help him format what he has and get it out the door…

3 Likes

aaah! Then it’s not formatted. Why not give it to people that could actually MOVE the project and get it out!?

It’s been a YEAR !

Give someone a Templar title who WILL do something about it or CARE about it for God sake!

4 Likes

Well, now they’ve done it. Someone’s PO’d the nicest guy on the internet. :grinning:

Yeah, we could probably reformat that within our group if necessary.

2 Likes

Precisely.

Why does it need to be specifically formatted and finalised by the Templarate? The Dead Lands books we’re finishing aren’t going to be.

We can figure out the house style by looking at what’s already been done.

1 Like