Defilement 5e Conversion?

(Roland Bernier) #23

You can easily have a warlock with a demon pact instead of a devil pact.

I found one on the internet but have to find back where.

Explanation of why demon pact could be used by Warlock

• Dark sun is closer to the elemental planes than others campain settings.
  • The warlock can reach the elemental chaos plane from the elementals planes.
  • At the bottom of the elemental chaos is the Abyss.

(Steve C) #24

For my 5th Ed conversion, I see wizards as choosing preserving or defiling each time with game benefits from long term choices. This is still pretty raw up to tweaking before I start running my DS campaign for 5E:
• Sanctity: Every Wizard has a Sanctity score from -10 to 10 but starts as 0. -10 means the wizard is a full-fledged defiler and has advantage on Intimidate skill rolls. +10 means the character is a full-fledged preserver and has advantage on Animal Handling skills. A wizard may lose Sanctity by defiling. A wizard may gain Sanctity by performing the Rite of Blood and other activities. Occasionally, situations may arise where a wizard may lose or gain sanctity outside of the reasons mentioned. Typically, a wizard may only gain or lose one Sanctity point per Long Rest. I may expand on this further for additional benefits beyond +10/-10
• Rite of Blood (this was actually mentioned in the original Wanderer’s Journal but not fleshed out): This ritual enables a wizard to partially or wholly restore an area of defilement. To do so, a Wizard takes half of their total Hit Points in damage as they literally bleed on the ground. After this, they sped ten minutes slowly drawing the energy from the plant life outside the defilement in an unharmful way. At the conclusion, a circle with a radius of the Wizards level in feet from the location of the Wizard is restored to vitality, grass sprouts from the ground (it is non magical and will die without water), and the Wizard gains a Sancity point. This rite may be redone after a Long Rest
• Power Drawing: In order to cast a spell, a wizard must draw power from the land to do so. The more lush an area is, the easier it is to draw power. A wizard may store half his/her Wizard level in spell power levels at a time.
• Defiling/Preserving Table (didn’t paste well), but basically, you draw power equal to half your Wizard level in Spell levels. The time it takes to do this varies on terrain and whether you are preserving or defiling (defiling is quicker), and finally a defiling radius should the Wizard defile based on terrain.
o Each subsequent drawing of power doubles the time as does the defilement radius expand. This is due to having to draw from further and further away. If a wizard moves to an area outside the original area, the time to draw is reset to the base
o Defiling also causes damage to Plant and Elemental creatures if in the defilement radius. A Plant or Elemental takes 1d10 damage per level of spell power drawn. Normal plants are destroyed.
o A defiler can continue to draw power from the ground as long as he wishes, expanding the radius. Additional power can be drawn for additional spells and the radius will expand accordingly. I think of this as a high that some defilers will do just because they are addicts.

(Mr Eco) #25

I need to at some point sit down and note all the ideas I have for defiling magic and the wizards of Athas. So far, I have three concepts, from a simple (core mechanic that enables you to defile) to a complex (distinct classes, with their own subclasses).