Dregoth Viginettes - short stories

Upon seeing Malys, Dregoth felt a sting of betrayal towards Takhisis. Malys’s magnitude was awe-inspiring, easily four times Dregoth’s size. Yet, he had advantages: unrestricted access to magic and his psionic abilities. In contrast, Malys was plagued by magic-draining spirits and lacked any psionic powers.

Dregoth unleashed a defiant roar and began his assault, channeling his psionic energy to mend his injuries as they occurred. [1] Their aerial battle was fierce; a whirlwind of claws, teeth, and spells. Although Malys’s colossal size provided her with an advantage, she noticed Dregoth’s tactics to fatigue her. His wounds healed swiftly as he would engage, utilize dimension door to retreat, and then attack anew. She realized the battle needed a swift conclusion.

Though worn, Dregoth remained confident. He believed he was wearing down both Malys’s physical and magical reserves. As he prepared to utilize dimension door once again, Malys, with an unexpected surge, clamped her jaws around his head. In sheer desperation, Dregoth unleashed a power he reserved for formidable dragon foes, duplicating himself. [2] While one bloodied Dregoth dangled from Malys’s jaws, the other attacked her fiercely from behind.

Confusion clouded Malys’s thoughts: How had he achieved this? Facing two adversaries now, she acted out of desperation, summoning the corrupted Dragon Orb. As the twin threats advanced, she triggered the orb’s devastating magic, eradicating both Dregoths and the orb in the process. Incensed by the costly confrontation, she resumed her path to face Mina.

For Dregoth, there was a blinding luminance, followed by a sense of vast emptiness. As he sensed his spirit racing towards his phylactery, an obstruction halted him. Takhisis’s voice then echoed, “You tried, Dregoth, but against Malys with her artifact, the outcome was almost certain. Now, with the artifact expended, my Mina is poised to confront a weakened Malys.” In silent defiance, Dregoth responded, “What of our agreement regarding Malys?” Takhisis, cold and resolute, retorted, “You were to eliminate Malys for me, and you failed. In recompense for your failure, you will serve me for eternity. I am in need of a new commander for my undead legions.” This unexpected twist of fate was a sharp reminder of past betrayals, like the one by Rajaat at the Pristine Tower.

Time seemed to blur for Dregoth, but eventually, he was summoned by Takhisis to witness her grand entrance to the world. Among other restless spirits and mortals, he observed Takhisis’s triumphant arrival, only for her to be struck down by an elf wielding a lance. In that disorienting moment, Dregoth was thrust back into his phylactery.

1: True Metabolism: A psionic power granting 10 hit points of healing per round and the ability to regrow lost limbs, though ineffective against non-hit point damage.
2: Fission. A psionic power that creates a duplicate of yourself, splitting abilities and power points, with shared consequences upon rejoining or if one dies.

2 Likes

Dregoth defeated. Ouch. Him getting rezzed briefly means his timer for a new resurrection has reset. I wonder what his next moves are going to be.

1 Like