Everything is better with dinosaurs!

(Brent Welborn) #1

Velociraptor, Oviraptor, and Protoceratops are some of the dinosaurs that were probably desert dwelling. I think it would interesting to include these on Athas, while making them more ferocious of course. However, I can’t imagine an Athasian calling them by their scientific names. What other names might an Athasian use to describe these creatures?

(Matthew T Laux) #2

The Eberron setting had alternate names for dinos, in the original campaign book(in the monster section). A velociraptor is called a Clawfoot. That sidebar(i believe it was on page 280, iirc) should get your creative juices flowing

(Brent Welborn) #3

Thanks, I think clawfoot is a good name for a velociraptor. I do not have the Eberron setting book. Would anyone who does be willing to assist me?

(Matthew T Laux) #4

If and when i get it back(let my cousin borrow it), I’ll type what names they printed

Edit:My cousin’s ears must have been burning, because she just dropped it off and left. I was right about the page number, but i forgot it had “draconic” names for dinos as well. Here you go:

Allosaurus=Bladetooth=Vharag’eth
Ankylosaurus=Hammertail=Hurak’eth
Cryptoclidus=Fintail=Paharan’ost
Deinonychus=Carver=Ka’rhavad’eth
Elasmosaurus=Great Fintail=Hapaharan’ost
Megaraptor=Great Carver=Haka’rhavad’eth
Quetzalcoatlus=Soarwing=Shovath-ien
Seismosaurus=Thunderherder=Khotasan’eth
Spinosaurus=Spineback=Shafanna’eth
Triceratops=Threehorn=Kotikaran’eth
T Rex=Swordtooth Titan=Havharag’eth

(Brent Welborn) #5