Help Needed - Buried Trade outpost name & reference

I’m trying to recall the name and reference to a trade outpost that was constructed in a canyon and later destroyed/buried by a sandstorm. A new outpost (with the same name) was later built nearby, in a more protected area.

I can’t remember what the outpost’s name is, or where I read about it and it’s driving my crazy.

Please help!

More detail? Was it in a novel or a boxed adventure? Do you remember anything about the characters or the context?

It was a short mention (basically a plot hook for the DM). Definitely not from a novel. I don’t remember what edition it’s from.

hi,

maybe altarhuk?but iam not sure.

if you mean Altaruk, no. They have similar histories though. This would be no more than a few lines of information in a single mention.

Not entirely sure what village you’re talking about… but I feel your pain… I can’t count the number of times I’ve pored through a half dozen books looking for a reference I remember vaguely… and it’s NEVER in the labeled section.

The last time this happened, I remembered a reference to the silt sea being created accidentally by a spell. This info was listed NOWHERE in any section related to it- it turned up in the 3.5 athas.org phb in a section about the champions.
I wish there was a comprehensive index somewhere

The arhas.org folks are actually working that, but as you can imagine, it’s slow going.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but the only thing that sounds somewhat familiar:

Villages of the Wastes
Segovara

The village of Segovara is situated in a rock gully, more than a day’s travel from the Silt Sea, surrounded by rocky barrens. The walls of the canyon rise to a height of over 100’, and provide shade to villagers, as well as shielding the village from the occasional silt storms that threaten the area. The gully runs southeast to northwest. It can only be entered safely down the easily sloping southeast end. Elsewhere the walls are too steep to descend safely except by a skilled climber.

The village is mainly a collection of huts, built by the three dozen villagers over the years. Those on the northwestern end are the original structures built when the village was first founded. This group of ten huts are very crude, built with thin walls and stretched leather skins used as roofs. Most of these decrepit huts had been abandoned by the time of the village’s demise and a couple of these huts have collapsed from neglect.
The newer buildings of the southern end are sturdier. Here the villagers constructed newer homes of thick mudbricks. Because of the narrowness of the ravine, the houses are built against its walls, leaving space for a small road down the middle of the gully. Some of these buildings are wider than others, sticking out into the narrow street. Because of this and the fact that the canyon is not straight, the road makes sharp twists and turns that prevent wagons or even pack animals from using the road. Even the villagers found it crowded, and the occasional visiting elves often complained of having been overcome with claustrophobia in the narrow street.

Midway down the gully, seeming to mark the boundary between the newer and older sections, are the two largest buildings in the village. On the right wall is the only multi-story building in the village, the warehouse. The warehouse is three stories high, but is not very wide and clings to the gully wall for support. Here the villagers stored their raw materials and skins to be turned into leather goods, as well as the finished goods that were waiting for a caravan to take them back to Balic. When the next caravan arrives from Balic, they will discover the warehouse almost empty.

No, that’s close, but not it. I did have to reread it three times to make sure though. We’re getting closer…

Finally found it today! I was thinking of Outpost 19, from Ivory Triangle.

Thank’s to everyone!