Introducting myself, and Ruvoka!

Can’t believe I just discovered this site. Loved Dark Sun since it first showed up on shelves. I’ve got a lot of catching up on Dark Sun website, etiquette, lore etc to do here.

Here is one I’ve got for Ruvoka. They were introduced in the second monstrous manual. They were elemental beings, that were very humanoid. There was a theory that they were ascended druids. The different kinds of Ruvoka (tied to each of the four elements) each had an unique name. They were super secret about who there were, what their agenda was, their habits, their goals…

Okay, aside from combat stats and probably not cool with defiling, we know jack all about them. If they were planning to do more with this, why no mention in the expanded 2nd box set? Or in ANYTHING else, in any edition? Where they just trying to fit it all on one page?

I am working on my own Dark Sun campaign right now. I do personally enjoy creating things within the limits set by established lore. So the first step, there ANY lore for them that I have overlooked? I didn’t even see any in the Terrors of Athas expansion material this site so generously provided.

5 Likes

Hi Andrew, to paraphrase the X-Men comics: Welcome to the Arena. Hope you survive! :wink:

When it comes to the Ruvoka, I’d assume nothing was done with them in the revised 2nd Ed Campaign Setting as TSR died before they could explore things further. That’s an assumption. Judging from the similarities with the Ukoven half-elementals of Euripis (an island in the south of the Silt Archipelago in the extreme SE of the revised setting maps) there could be some connection with those half-elementals (which I’ve always used as Genasi in 3.X).

Athas dot org does have Ruvoka in 3.X - they’re in the Legends of Athas supplement, Epic Monsters section, p.117 onwards. Long story short, they’re an acquired template that a druid can attain through use of a ritual (details given in the LoA product). As you need to be able to cast 9th level divine spells (so a 17th lvl druid in 3.X) and the template gives you a +6 level adjustment, even the weakest Ruvoka will be a CR23 monster.

Hope that helps and again, welcome to the madhouse! :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome Andronicus!

It’s been quite calm lately, but it can be very active as well.

1 Like

Welcome! I was not aware of Ruvoka :scream: :scream:

1 Like

I’ve used them a couple times in adventures. In my head cannon, I’ve got the Druids split between Wandereres and Guardians.

Wanderers travel the world, were supposed to be the teachers and communication link between Guardians and were the ones that felt the brunt of the SMs hunts.

Guardians are the Grove Masters of the world, they watch over a specific area, sometimes working with villages nearby and taking apprentices to replace them.

They each advanced a bit differently depending on if they also picked up psionic levels as they advanced. Ruvoka were druids of both types (but more often Wanderers) that felt affinity for a specific element rather than an area or even species found in the world. They tended to be more similar to Clerics but unlike most Clerics who looked to the elements often as a source of power to be bargained with, Ruvoka were more pure in their devotions similar to those clerics on the path of becoming an elemental themselves.

2 Likes

Thank you much! I am looking through the forum to see how I can contribute.

1 Like

Thank you much! I am looking through the forum to see how I can contribute. Seems the Ruvoka was a bit obscure. The answer seems to be in the Legends of Athas.

1 Like

Oh I am sure I’ll survive in the arena. I’m looking at the match card and I’m apparently to fight someone named “So-Ut the Rampager.” tosses card over shoulder Sounds like a push over.

I’ll be honest, I’m pretty disappointed by the answer. That makes them another prestige class, not the elemental faction I was envisioning. I’ll have to dwell on that. As I said, I like working within the box, taking as much lore into account. I find it aids my creativity. I am well aware I can step out of it any time I want.

The Ukoven, always struck me as a little goofy. The fact they wither when away from their island…

Thanks so much for the help!

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I’m pretty disappointed by the answer. That makes them another prestige class, not the elemental faction I was envisioning. I’ll have to dwell on that. As I said, I like working within the box, taking as much lore into account. I find it aids my creativity. I am well aware I can step out of it any time I want.

Thanks so much for the feedback. It was a tough nut for me to crack.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I like the treatment Athas dot org gave Ruvoka - being a template you can acquire gives an element of agency to an otherwise distant and vague being. However, I think the Ruvoka speak to a wider problem with Athas, namely the lack of any detail on the Athasian (Para)Elemental Planes.

Earth, Air, Fire & Water covered clerics, but the details of elemental politics or the inhabitants of those planes was never addressed. It’s not really come up in my campaign, but in my head canon, Genies are incredibly rare on Athas’ elemental planes - they aren’t the significant power blocs that they form in more standard D&D settings. Elemental Lords (and how many of them are former Athasian clerics) and Ruvoka could fill that gap.

The only decent treatment of the planes I’ve seen came from @Rajaat99 back in 2019/20 - see his excellent blog Adventures under the Dark Sun for more info.

And apologies for hijacking your thread @AndronicusVII!

2 Likes

No apologies needed! Hijack away!

I do need to emphasize that the folks at Athas.org have done awesome work. My issue was not with the quality of the work, or their vision. It’s simply unfortunate that in this case, theirs and mine clashed. That’s all.

The whole role of elementals and para elementals… that’s another kettle of fish.

2 Likes

Ahh, seems I was unclear. It’s not a prestige class at all. I use the template from Athas.org, it’s simply the fluff around them. Since they are druids who choose to be closer to an elemental plane than the Athasian Nature and I have a bit of detail around how druids got to where they are today, I simply melded the concept into the additional backstory information.

2 Likes

Thank you, that does make sense. However, the issue remains. They aren’t a race or monster that I could productively use in my original concept. By applying a template to a PC or NPC you have just that. They are an individual character first, elemental thingie second. Still, I want to reassure you, it’s still great work. It simply doesn’t line up with what I was looking for. That’s all.

1 Like

Welcome! I’m always happy to meet a fellow Athasian!

Genasi are a good way of handling them in 3.X. simply adding an elemental subtype to any aberration, animal, beast, magical beast, plant, or vermin works as well.