Losing priceless digital documents

To the templarate: So…before what happened to some of us happens to all of us, is there a place I can copy all of my data? We can all copy our data to?

All of us. Any and all projects. Online.

I’m scared my hard drives contain the last copies of some projects, like Celik, or the Dead Lands, or Brian’s art for the Forgotten North.

For the sake of my sanity, can we pool our stuff somewhere?

1 Like

Yes, we have somewhere everything is stored. Talk to Flip to get access.

2 Likes

It isn’t that hard to do. I can volunteer to provide a folder on OneDrive, accessible to everyone here.

I volunteer whatever is needed (my hard drive, onedrive, dropbox, googledrive or my own web site siltskimmer.org).

2 Likes

Does that somewhere also have a physical backup? Say DVD hardcopies taken once a year or something and stored someplace (multiple places, preferably) theoretically safe? What with the earthquakes earlier this year and months of tremors afterwards in my local region, I’m a little more sensitive to data storage and safety than before. Backup, Backup, Backups, and hardcopies too!

1 Like

It’s very strange because almost all the templarate I’ve ask in the last month can’t find any of the original documents used to create the PDFs (or anything else like pictures or maps).

I agree with Pennarin that we NEED to have several places where we can have all this material (and accessible if possible!).

1 Like

I believe I have shamefully deleted things from my hard-drive way back, thinking others had the originals or more up to date versions, only to discover the project person did not have online backups and their house and computer burned down. Years of updates lost.

If we all thrall the depths of our emails, going 15-20 years back, there ought to be gems, like a proofreading of Celik, or an advanced version of Dead Lands.

I want to upload all those iterations in case something in there is what a project person has been dreaming to find again after a major loss and setback.

1 Like

You did not ask me.
I learned of the archive in 2015. Anything I had copies of I uploaded at that time. Some of the original documents may not be there such as Trade Lords or Villages of the Wastes, but most are.

As for the unfinished projects, those that were shared with the templarate are there, but if someone started a project and neither did not share a version nor uploaded it then it would not be included.

1 Like

You are completely right about that @Band2 . I first started asking the core peoples, but then I forgot about those who kept it moving after.

Yet again, I felt that those who had documents in progress weren’t much interested in giving it to the crowd after a loss of interest or no more time to work on these things.

Releasing what’s been done, even if it is unfinished, is better than keeping it in the hope to finish it someday (which eventually become never).

1 Like

Reading Terrors of the Dead Lands I was panicked at the idea of never knowing what a Successor or birthstone was. Turns out it’s all there in the semi-finished Dead Lands I have.

The nauseating thing I’m afraid of is not losing that document - which was nearly entirely written by TSR way back - but post-TSR efforts at new canon, like Lost Cities, Celik, The Forgotten North. The new canon lore is, dare I say, even more sweeping than all the other lore combined. There’s a whole other world up north and down south, threatened to be obliterated before ever being released.

1 Like

Here are the projects that I currently have. I think these documents were updated quite a while ago so they could be out of date again. If you have updated documents please upload them here. If there are other projects please let me know and let’s get them added. Then we should release what we have in a playtest format, then gather folks who want to update them via the Arena forums, Facebook pages, etc.

You must have an Athas.org address to view these.

2 Likes

If no one minds me asking… how exactly does one manage to obtain an Athas.org address? I imagine it is something like ‘one does not simply walk into Athas?’
^-^

3 Likes

Requesting athas.org address.

1 Like

Yep. Why not? I myself would enjoy this.

1 Like

Also requesting such an address.

1 Like

Templars? Anything to say about these requests?

2 Likes

Apologies folks, I thought this was in the Templar/site admin section of the forums. We are working on getting these documents to the community.

Here’s a public sharable folder. If you have files that you’d like to make sure stay with the community they can be added to this public share:

1 Like

I think that answers the question about Athas.org emails. I’m extrapolating from the implication that one needs must be a Templar or Council member. I am further guessing that contributions and activity perhaps determine if one can join the select few?

2 Likes

How many active templars are there, exactly?

1 Like