Lunar Conjunctions Part 2

Conjunctions part 2.

Here they are. All the conjunctions of the moons that can occur during an 11 year Endlean cycle. These assume 125 and 33 synodic day periods for Guthay and Ral respectively. These can be verified by the Merchant Calendar program. They were all hand calculated, not just read off each conjunction, in the program. :slight_smile:

It starts off with the conjunction that occurs at the beginning of the Endlean cycle and then each conjunction occurs every ~44.84 days thereafter. (125*33)/(125-33)

I have listed these starting with the Free Year that corresponds to the Endlean cycle. For years other than those listed, just convert by adding 11 to the year provided in the FY column.

I have the EXACT month and day it occurs along with the exact hour and minute, the percent full the moons will be. (Phases are the same on conjunctions). I include whether it is waxing, waning; or new, crescent, half, gibbous, or full. I also have the relative position to the zenith and whether they are rising or setting. I also have if they are visible from the Tyr region side of the globe or not, (about half are not), a few of these are just below the horizon at the exact moment of conjunction, indicated with an “H”

So, suppose you are in the year of the Priest and your Draj Moon Priest is looking for the next time there is a visible conjunction where the moons are waxing gibbous and are rising in the sky. - you can say “Oh, you have to wait until Flagstaad the 15th around 2:50 PM before you can cast your raise the dead spell. Otherwise you will have to wait two years until the evening of Flagstaad the 27th which is when the next one occurs.” And he will frown at you because he wanted to cast it now. Alternatively you can just ignore this kind of stuff and hand wave it and say “Uhhh, well, in two weeks they will be in the conjunction needed for your spell.” Because after all, DM>science

3 Likes

Oh wow, that is amazing! How long did it take you to compile that?

2 Likes

I’ve been working on it off and on for several hours over the last several months. Once I got the equation for calculating when conjunctions occurs I could quickly get the month, day and hour info. But it took me quite some time to figure out the angle and to get the percent full to match what the calendar program uses.

2 Likes

Rovewin, you’re amazing.

1 Like

That’s incredible dedication Rovewin. Great stuff!

2 Likes

I guess the trade off is that I don’t actually do any gaming in Dark Sun right now. So any extra time I have or time I may otherwise be gaming is put into doing this kinda of stuff. I’ve been this way for years. I do stuff mostly for my own amusement but only recently started sharing things.

3 Likes

I’m running a DS game in about an hour so I’ve spent a couple of days prepping for that. I get the trade off - back in Spring when I didn’t have any games I was doing some stuff on my Athasian whales. Now I’m back to DMing, all my energy is going into the prep work for the adventures.

2 Likes

It is difficult to do both.

2 Likes