Missing monsters

I was recently reviewing Terrors Beyond Tyr and the Dark Sun Encounters Tables on pages 5-7 and noticed there are at least two monsters that are in the table but I cannot find the source for them.

They are: Earth Serpent and Fire Scorpion.

Page 5 states all monsters in the tables are from the original boxed set, monstrous manual, terrors of the desert and terrors beyond tyr, but I cannot seem to find the two monsters above. I have all these sources except the monster manual for which I just use the internet. But these two monsters evade even the internet it seems.

My guess would be specific versionselemental beasts, later removed and replaced with the more general monster “elemental beast”

Thank you for finding this anomaly. I guess we’ll have to design them ourselves. Good find.

There is a Fire snake in the monstrous manual, next to the salamander (elemental fire-kind). But you have to deseing them yourself

1 Like

How’s this? I’m going to post it on my blog, so feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Fire Scorpion
Climate/Terrain: Anywhere
Frequency: Uncommon
Organization: Swarm
Activity Cycle: Night
Diet:Carnivore
Intelligence: Non- (0)
Treasure: D
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 1d4
Armor Class: 4
Movement: 12
Hit Dice: 3+3
Thac0: 18
No. of Attacks: 3
Damage/Attacks: 1-6/1-6/1-2
Special Attack: Poison Sting
Special Defense: Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: S (3’ long)
Morale: Average (9)
XP Value: 420

Fire Scorpion
Fire scorpions are scorpions with a bright red carapace with dark red claws and stinger. Their stinger is comparably larger stinger compared to other scorpions of similar size. These scorpions were named fire scorpions, not just due to their bright red color, but also due to the extremely painful venom they inject into their victims. Fire scorpions are nocturnal and can be found anywhere their food sources live, but they prefer warm, dry climates.

Combat
Fire scorpions are 90% likely to attack any creature that approaches. The creature has a hard, chitinous carapace that gives it Armor Class 4. This monster attacks by grabbing prey with its two pincers, inflicting 1-6 points of damage each, while it lashes forward with its tail to sting. Thus, it can fight three opponents at once.
The sting inflicts 1-2 points of damage and the victim must save versus poison (type C, but instant). Failure also racks the victim with extreme pain, as the victim feels like fire is burning through their veins. Victims must save versus poison again, or be unable to act for 1d4 rounds due to the pain.
Note that scorpions are not immune to their own poison. If a scorpion is reduced to 1 or 2 hit points, it will go into a stinging frenzy, stinging everything in sight, gaining two attempts to hit per round with only the tail. Slain creatures are dragged to the scorpion’s burrow to be eaten.

Habitat/Society
Fire scorpions live in underground burrows or dungeons. Each lair may (20%) have 5d4 scorpion eggs. These beasts eat any living creature that is unfortunate enough to stray too close to their lair. Any treasure found comes from the bodies of human or demihuman victims that have been dragged here to be consumed. Armor is rarely found intact, since the scorpion will surely have used its pincers to cut up its prey.

Ecology
These insects contribute to the ecosystem by feeding, usually, on other insects. They themselves are prey for larger creatures. Alchemists and assassins prize the scorpion’s venom because of its potency.

1 Like

Looks good to me. The only comment I’d make is where you say “These insects contribute to the ecosystem…” Scorpions are arachnids, not insects.
Taxonomy aside, thumbs up :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction.

2 Likes

I’d like to see some humanoid scorpions and snakes (naga or something like that).

1 Like

Well Yuan-ti are present on Athas (even though I’ve never used them) so that would cover human/snake crosses. 2nd Ed Greyhawk had Manscorpions (tauric creatures - human torso and head, scorpion lower bodies) in the Bright Desert which coud be ported to Athas - the stats are in WGR3 Rary the Traitor. I can’t find a 3.X version of the Manscorpion but Monsters of Faerun had a 3.x write up on Stingers - which are similar tauric human/scorpion crosses. As for 4E/5E…haven’t a scooby I’m afraid.

1 Like

I didn’t know. Thanks!

@Rajaat99 looks great. We’re you going to do the Earth Serpent too?

@Corleth and @Kalindren manscorpion/scorpionfolk in d20srd http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/scorpionfolk.htm

Girtablilu in Pathfinder srd https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/girtablilu/

Scorpionfolk in Pathfinder srd
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/scorpionfolk/

2 Likes

Thri-kreen of Athas never stat-ed out the z’ock’n. The large snail creatures responsible for helping make thor-kreen homes of Thaythilor.

TkoA pg 82 said: “Like other tohr-kreen cities, Thaythilor was built using the amber-like secretions of z’ock’n, larger versions of the snail-like ock’n found in the Tablelands. Most buildings are constructed by gathering a mound of sand, then allowing the z’ock’n to secrete their amber over the mound.”

We have the ock’n in Terrors of the Desert but no z’ock’n.

Thank you. I want to play one. :)_

The ock’n have no attack listed in the DS MC so I’d say a 2E z’ock’n should have a shed load of HD (10-16), maybe AC4 or so (something that size will have a tougher shell) move slightly faster (maybe MV6?) and be worth virtually no xp (its a near stationary house building snail).
Could be mutated versions with a caustic or acidic slime used for demolitions though…

1 Like

Yes, I’m going to design the earth serpent too. I didn’t have time this week, because of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is an American holiday, if you’re not from the US. I’ll probably post it on Tuesday.

This one is much more powerful, due to the placement of the encounter tables between Bulette and Spirit of the Land. As always, constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged.

Earth Serpent
Climate/Terrain: Rocky Badlands, Forest, Any Underground
Frequency: Very Rare
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence: Low (5-7)
Treasure: R
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 1-2
Armor Class: 3
Movement: 18, Br 9
Hit Dice: 12
Thac0: 8
No. of Attacks: 2
Damage/Attacks: 3-30 (bite)/ 2-20 (tail lash)
Special Attack: Poison
Special Defense: Camouflage
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: H (48 - 52’ long)
Morale: Champion (16)
XP Value: 14,000

Psionic Summary
Level: 10
Dis/Sci/Dev: 4/5/15
Attack/Defense: All
Score: 16
PSPs: 133
Clairsentience: Clairvoyance, Combat Mind, Danger Sense, Hear Light,
Psychokinetic: Telekinesis, Animate Shadow, Control Body, Inertial Barrier
Psychometabolic: Complete Healing, Energy Containment, Biofeedback, Cause Decay, Chameleon Power, Heightened Senses
Telepathy: Mindlink, Contact, Ego Whip, Id Insinuation, Mind Thrust

Earth Serpent
Earth serpents are huge frilled snakes. Their bodies are covered with brown and green iron-like scales.

Combat
An Earth Serpent’s coloration serves as excellent camouflage when in the forest or rocky badlands. When an earth serpent attacks from hiding, its opponents suffer a -4 penalty to their surprise rolls. Although they can move well over open ground, earth serpents prefer to move unseen and attack from concealment. They can easily burrow through loose earth at a rate of 9, but are unable to burrow through solid rock. They have keen infravision with a range of 120 feet and can sense heat and vibration from prey as far away as 120 feet, or 30 feet through solid rock.
An earth serpent attacks by biting with its sword-like fangs and by slapping with its huge tail. The fangs carry a deadly venom. When bitten, a creature must make a successful saving throw vs. poison or immediately become paralyzed. During the next round, the victim’s blood thickens and starts to turn into a mud-like substance. The victim’s blood vessels turn dark red brown and can be easily seen through the skin. In addition, the victim suffers 1d10 points of damage each round until death occurs or the venom is neutralized. A neutralize poison spell or similar magic removes the paralysis, stops further damage, and restores the victim’s blood color, but does not cure any damage already received. A remove paralysis spell frees the victim from the paralysis but does not halt the damage or restore the victim’s blood color.
Even if the saving throw vs. poison is successful, the victim still feels sluggish and sick, suffering a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity for 4d6 rounds. Further bites extend the duration of the ability score loss but do not cause the scores to drop lower.

Habitat/Society
Earth Serpents are equally at home in the depths of the earth, in caverns, or surrounded by the earth in rocky badlands. They have no social organization, not even family ties, but a few of them might live together if mating.
Earth Serpents like gathering metallic items and gems to impress their mates and lure travelers to their doom.

Ecology
Earth Serpents hunt all manner of prey. It is not uncommon for earth serpents to move between the rocky badlands, underground caverns, and forests, they go where their prey waits.
Once every five years or so, couples of earth serpents pair up to mate. Each coupling lasts about a month. Afterward, the pregnant females go forth on their own and seek some isolated locale in which to lay their eggs. Usually, the female will lay 2d10 eggs deep underground. Six months afterward, the eggs hatch, each young being about 5 feet long. The young earth serpents have 3 Hit Dice; their tail slap does no damage and their bote only does 1hp of damage, but their venom is fully potent. The young mature in about nine years, gain 1 Hit Die per year until fully mature.
An intact skin from an adult earth serpent can fetch as much as 800 ceramic pieces on the open market. The pelt of a young earth serpent is worth about 5 ceramic pieces.
An earth serpent’s venom quickly loses its potency if it is extracted from the creature. If the poison sacs are carefully removed, however, the venom is useful as an ingredient for a Oil of Earth Elemental Invulnerability.

Also, just to let you know, I did post the Fire Scorpion on my Dark Sun Blog (Shameless plug: https://darksunadventures.blogspot.com/), but it is still open for criticism.

I am from the U.S. Utah to be precise. Not too far from you according to your blog.

Ah, okay. I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to assume.

I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks. Likewise. Mine was great!

As far as your earth serpent goes… I’ve tried to take a bit of a look at it… but without being too familiar with many 2e monsters I’d have to do a bit more looking into it.

I would say this… I know the tables in TBT list the terrain as forest and rocky badlands but I don’t think you have to limit it to those. (Unless you want to) I think you would be fine to list “any” if you thought that appropriate since some of the other monsters in the same tables have any as a terrain.