Music Under a Dark Sun

Hey all, thought I’d try something completely different and ask you all what songs, bands, and/or soundtracks you listen to for that Athasian vibe, be it in game, designing adventures, or just whenever.

To get us started I actually realized a lot of the music from 300 (no not the sequel) actually works quite well. The Temple of Doom song by the movie of the same name definitely is another I’d vouch for while discussing movie music. 1492 by Colossal Trailer Music and Tribal Sacrifice by Two Steps from Hell do the jungle vibe well. Adrian von Ziegler did some good desert music including Hual Hadi, Sleeping Sabre, and Dust and Shadows.

2 Likes

Brian Tyler’s Children of Dune soundtrack is pretty good for Dark Sun

5 Likes

The Conan soundtrack by Basil Poledouris.

5 Likes

The ones I use for my Dark Sun game are mostly from Fallout 3 and Total War: Attila. For each city-state, I try to get music representative of the culture but, so far, I’ve had quite a hard time finding music for Nibenay.

3 Likes

I also listen to Basil Poledouris’s Conan and also use the OST from 300.

2 Likes

I’ve also languished in search of good Nibenese music. Closest I’ve found is The Monk by Devesh Sodha and the Red Lotus theme from Legend of Korra. That being said if you’re alright with more Japanese music for Nibenay instead of Chinese then I’d recommend Aki by Adrian von Ziegler. Sadly it’s hard to find old style Chinese music that has a darker atmosphere to it.

While Conan and 300 have top-notch soundtracks, I find them too epic for my campaign. I usually strive for more ambient musical scores and, if possible, use traditional music of said culture. For instance, when the characters wander inside the walls of Urik, I use Sumerian music from ensemble de Organographia, or when I want to bring a mystical note when they walk the streets of Raam, I play Shanti Mantra by Pandit Jasraj.

That being said, I have tracks from Conan, for those epic moments :stuck_out_tongue: Wheel of Pain and Cantiga 166 are some of my favourites.

2 Likes

The music from the Dark Sun Games (Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager) imho are really cool for such old games. And being from an official game about Dark Sun, I find them very fitting.

Gladiator soundtrack or anything with Lisa Gerard

3 Likes

I play GWAR. My players are freaks, so it works. Always play the “Ragnarok” album when they’re in Raam, and the “We Kill Everything” album when they’re in Urik.

Some music of Voytek Pavlik is really well done for Dark Sun

4 Likes

I likes, thanks for sharing!

I don’t use music, just descriptions. Though i have tried to do it, one player said it was distracting… aw, well.

Checked out GWAR… weird, that’s all i have to say about that. Will check out more by them, see if i like others. Lol

1 Like

Heard of and have all of Organographia’s Ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Sumerian music. Really like it. Have not heard of Shanti Mantra, definitely will check it out. I love collecting music from past civilizations.

1 Like

Lol You reminded me of how i kept ‘Now We Are Free’ on hand for when a PC died. We thought it was hilarious. XD

1 Like

I recommend any album by Om; but I think that “Pilgrimage” is the best choice. I recommend listening to “Pilgrimage” & “Bhima’s theme”.

1 Like

Not for your use, but I remember in some of the literature nobles would entertain themselves to the shrieks of slaves, tortured by bards that enhanced pain with various powders, etc. Does anyone remember where that is written?

1 Like

Ah, hell nah!
And no never heard of that!

Looks a lot like something straight from Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melnibone.

I didn’t use music during the game, only as a source of inspiration. My favourite “desert song” would be Stargazer by Rainbow.

1 Like

Howdy folks. I have been playing Dark Sun in one form or another since it came out. Over the years, I have collected a bunch of music that seems to work for my games. I have always found finding ‘epic’ music (fights and he like) are not hard to find. That said …mood? …that takes a bit more digging. I have many soundtracks as well as many ‘world music’ items as well. I made a list (as there is allot) for you all to look over. You should be able to find most of these on Apple, iTunes, Amazon, RPGNOW and such download sites. Here is the link to my PDF of the list. I hope it helps give you some stuff for allot more ‘moodier’ games. Happy Gaming Wasteland Travelers! https://www.dropbox.com/s/01h4e35doqv4opd/Dark%20Sun%20Music%20List.pdf?dl=0

4 Likes