The Burnt World of Athas - 30 Days of Dark Sun 28: When was your first game session? What happened?

The 28th day of #30DaysofDarkSun is here and the question is "When was your first game session? What happened?"

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://athas.org/articles/30DaysofDarkSun-28-first-DS-game-session

It was the same For a Little Knowledge for me, and I also have trouble remembering any details from back then… but I’m pretty sure my friend Bert was playing a half-giant because he thought it would be really hardy. But, it died. I know that, because Bert kept on magically re-rolling a half-giant every time, except with better stats than the previous one, and then it would die, and the cycle would repeat. We went on into Freedom and then homebrew stuff and it kept happening. Some of it was that the half-giant was an obvious target. Some of it was really bad luck with save or die. Bert would get so mad. I bet he had 7 or 8 of them!

First one took a lot of time to happen, i bought the box set in 1994-5 but 1st session was around 2001, my group wasnt into AD&D at the start, then some of us merged with another group that was playing drangonlance and switching to forgotten realms, it took me a lot of time to have them try darksun, it didnt stick for them, even today i cant make them play anything non-forgotten realms. I still got the books the novels, im getting a new group of board game players into RPG, hoping some day to run them a full darksun campaign.

Back to the 1st session, i wasnt a fluid AD&D DM so i run a variation of Freedom, it wasnt all that special, i guess the group, knowing them better today, was never interested in leaving FR.

First session was in late 1996, I believe. The protagonist began the “Freedom” module and was captured in the village of Kled and hauled off as a slave to labor on the Ziggurat of Kalak! That campaign continues to today with all characters well beyond 20th level criss-crossing the Tablelands and dimensions beyond.