Trees of Life & Botanical Enchantments

What if the potion fruit you plant to trigger a botanical enchantment is targeted by the create tree of life spell?

Also, I assume trees of life predate sorcery, and are probably druidic boons of sorts. Yet as soon as sorcery is invented they are extra useful for practicioners of sorcery. I seem to recall reading somewhere official - an adventure, perhaps - that druids see the trees’ use by arcane practicioners as against nature. Wouldn’t druids want a tree at every corner, at every oasis? As mile markers in the desert?

Both the original box set and the revised edition have Trees of Life detailed in the magic item chapters. Both state the trees were originally created by wizards who wanted to protect nature. The trees channel and store magic from the elemental planes. The only use wizardly magic actually gets from them is the super regen and defiling radius negation. Extra spells are only for priests.

I don’t remember them predating sorcery, but druids can more easily create them (if you ignore the caster level requirements). A wizard has to wait for Wish (9th level spell in 3e), a cleric uses Miracle (9th), but a druid is actually held up by Control Weather (7th). The odd spell out for a druid is Liveoak, a 6th level spell that substitutes for Wish and Miracle.

In 2e, a wizard (both defiler and preserver) could create a tree as an 8th level spell, priests at 6th (orig and revised).

Druids typically see all wizardly magic as something against nature, most don’t even like preservers and all actively hate defilers.

In my own campaigns the only druids who have created Trees of Life are grove masters (once they get high enough level) and the one Spirit Initiate who’s trying to restore all of Athas via an ever expanding forest (supported by Trees of Life). Trees of Life tend to attract defilers so having them isn’t always a good thing. Our druids aren’t typically trying to restore Athas to the Green Age, they are trying to preserve what’s already there (maybe improving their own little patch at most) and kill anyone who would harm it. Defilers destroy nature itself, at least deserts are nature.

Clerics are trying to change the world, they may be more inclined to create them but there aren’t that many of them and they don’t tend to stick around to guard them. Wizards typically would create them for their own use only (and in 3e defilers can’t create them, only preservers).

Good points. I need to read again the description, I did not remember they originated through sorcerers’ efforts.

The official thing I was speaking of might be an old adventure, either the Chanth or Troll.

Blockquote I don’t remember them predating sorcery, but druids can more easily create them (if you ignore the caster level requirements). A wizard has to wait for Wish (9th level spell in 3e), a cleric uses Miracle (9th), but a druid is actually held up by Control Weather (7th). The odd spell out for a druid is Liveoak, a 6th level spell that substitutes for Wish and Miracle. > Blockquote

Are you referring to 5e? If so I would agree that a wish would do it.

Any thoughts on the botanical enchantments? An eternal tree of life able to continuously produce potion fruits would be awesome.

I would not allow a potion fruit tree of life. In the revised setting book, the spell description says the sapling becomes a tree of life. To me, this means it supplants whatever kind of tree the sapling originally was.

All 3e in that paragraph. I also have 2e listed. I’m not sure what those spells are in 5e.

For botanical trees, I’d keep them separate I like the idea of a grove of magic trees centered on a Tree of Life…

1 Like