What is the craziest old school dungeon you've converted to Athas?

I converted The Village of Hommlett. It actually just needed minor tweeks. It was a keep, instead of a moat house and the big bad was a magma cleric. I changed the monsters to Dark Sun monsters and toned down all the treasure.

6 Likes

You know what? It would be cool to just take a fat stack of old 1st edition D&D adventures and adapt them to Dark Sun.

Like take the B1-9 module “In search of Adventure”, and amp it up for DS use!

6 Likes

Ran the Illithid Monstrous Arcana adventure trilogy years ago for DS. Took place in the Sundered Regions.

5 Likes

The entire Desert of Desolation trilogy. Amun-Re’s pyramid became the ziggurat of a lost sorcerer-king. The genies became elementals. Martek became Teklunard, a forgotten avangion. Was lots of fun.

8 Likes

I steal bits from those modules all the time.

2 Likes

Sinister Secret of Silt Marsh anyone?

3 Likes

I was thinking about this the other day, and came up with a list of great adventures to convert to Dark Sun.

Here’s what I have so far:

Old 1st and 2nd Edition Adventure Modules Which Convert Surprisingly Well to Dark Sun:

Wizard’s Challenge - Set within the veiled alliance in a town or city, the whole adventure plays like a clandestine secret war among spies, almost taking on a John Le Carre vibe.

Dark Clouds Gather - Set in an isolated plateau above the Thri-Kreen Empire, or perhaps the Dragon’s Crown or a similar terrain feature, it works surprisingly well.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - Perfect for the Jagged Cliffs, with mainly only encounter changes.

What do you guys think? Any more?

4 Likes

the only one in your list I’m somewhat familiar with is Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, and I agree, I think it would be great for Dark Sun. Actually, looks like someone may have already adapted it: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks Dark Sun Adaptation

6 Likes

Also, has anyone thought about converting Ravenloft to Dark Sun? I’m assuming Vlad would be replaced with a Sorcerer King? (Dregoth? Kalid-Ma?)

1 Like

Concerning Ravenloft:
This has been done. One of the FB group members wrote something that got posted on DriveThruRPG to work around the legal issues. I think it was 5E content.

The Expedition to Barrier Peaks rehash I’d seen before, but if I ran it I’d probably put my own spin on it.

2 Likes

couldn’t find the Dark Sun Ravenloft adventure on DriveThru.
In my search, however, I did stumble across The Touch of Death and Dawn of the Overmind, both of which look like they might make good fuel for Dark Sun.

1 Like

I’ve run Dawn of the Overmind and rest of the Illithid Trilogy in DS, but on the other side of the silt sea in the Sundered Regions.

2 Likes

Anyone tried Tale of the Comet on Athas?

2 Likes

I’d suggest Grimtooth’s Dungeon of Doom, only swap the materials with Athas appropriate ones.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this took a lot of work to convert (starting with the street names - “Maple Way”, “Ten Alders Road”).
Or did you maybe run it as a Green Age adventure (yet another reason the sun was dimming)?

(my thoughts on this, no doubt influenced by Blue and Green Age play ideas)

I downplayed using non-DS vernacular to be sure.

It was run it in the current age. I tuned down the dimming of the sun part. For my game, it was a city of illithids that has an expansive dome of shadow that protects their lands for the sun. Instead of dimming the sun they were trying to increase the radius of the dome (The Dark Cupola) to grow immensely.

4 Likes

I recently converted Beast of Burden (Dungeon Magazine 100) to Dark Sun.
Biggest change was swapping out bugbears for gith and the big bad with a githyanki.

4 Likes

Anyone tried converting any Eberron adventures to Dark Sun?
You’d have to replace magic-steam tech with psionics or life shaped items, I imagine.
The combination of politic intrigue with swashbuckling action seems like it would make a good fit for Dark Sun style of play.

1 Like

I’m converting Ghosts of Saltmarsh to Dark Sun, in 5e. I replace the water seas with silt seas, change the town to be a fortified town, Harrow Spring, owned by a 16th level Draconic blood line Sorcerer, who wants to ascend to be a Sorcerer king, but isn’t one yet. The town is completely different than the town in the book, more of an Arabian and Bedouin feel to it. It even has a gladiator ring below the surface in an old cistern from the ancient structure that used to be here.

Placed it on the edge of the silt sea in the Saltmarshes near the Southern Kreen Lands, at the “World’s Edge” (B5 on the Atlas map) where the old dry river (wadi) spills out into the Silt Sea.

Changed the Sahuagin enemies to Thri-Kreen, and the Lizardfolk to Ssurrans. It’s working really well so far. I might publish the adventure if I ever get done with it.

Here is the PC race for Ssurrans, if anyone wants to use it.
Lizardfolk, Desert (Ssurran) (5e Race) - D&D Wiki (dandwiki.com)

2 Likes

I am currently adapting White Plume Mountain to use in my Dark Sun campaign. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

3 Likes