WotC, this site, IP, and derivative works: to what extent can we revise official content?

Hello, I’m brand new to this board but I’ve been lurking and checking over the years in to see the beautiful work that’s been done here. I’ve been a fan of the setting for a long time but during this pandemic I’ve started doing my own writing.

So far I have done, or have in progress:

• Revised 5e version of “The Age of Heroes” from the 2e Revised Boxed set
  • A document containing a selection of revised psionic powers for 5e
  • A one-shot adventure set in Urik’s Pit of Black Death, started in order to playtest the above

Yeah, I know, another update to 5e? I wasn’t satisfied with the recent UA mystic or other efforts to update the rules so I made my own, to play with my group. In any case, now that I’m into it I want to keep writing and I want to be able to share it.

So now the real question - the bottom of the front page of this site reads:

DARKSUN, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the DARK SUN logo, the WIZARDS OF THE COAST logo and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

This site is recognized by WotC as the Official Dark Sun site on the internet. Content created on the official website is considered to be derivative work (as it is based on the intellectual property owned by Wizards of the Coast). This means that fan-created add-ons (such as new net books, adventures, etc.) are jointly owned by both Wizards of the Coast and the creator; neither can do anything outside the official website without the permission of the other.

Which raises a few questions:

• Can we reuse text or illustrations from official books in fan-made revisions?
  • Must all fan-made derivative works be posted on this site to be covered by the legalese above?
  • Has any creator of fan-made content ever received a cease and desist letter, or any similar action?
  • Am I overthinking this?
4 Likes

Welcome to the Arena @derpendicular !

Those declarations are for projects that were produced by Athas.org staff and specifically for 3rd edition only. Since Wizards hasn’t been in contact with us for years I’m assuming we’re just at a fan level now and all non Athas.org projects should work off the rules of Wizards fan content policy.

For your questions specifically:

• Can we reuse text or illustrations from official books in fan-made revisions?
    No
  • Must all fan-made derivative works be posted on this site to be covered by the legalese above?
    We’re happy to host content created as fan-works, but they must comply with the WotC Fan Policy
  • Has any creator of fan-made content ever received a cease and desist letter, or any similar action?
    I’ve not heard of anything, but should content be open to the DMsGuild at some point they may take actions to protect that content.
  • Am I overthinking this?
    No, these are great questions. I have seen lots of 5e conversions that definitely don’t comply with the Fansite policy.
3 Likes

Thanks for your reply @raddu , you’ve given me some things to consider. Hopefully I’ll be able to come back and share some of my content soon :slight_smile: