A new take on the Pterrans

For better or for worse, the lizard folk in saragar are canon, as they appear on official products. But you can try and improve on what is, thats a much better option in my mind, more fun too because of the challenge.

4 Likes

I like the Saragar lizardfolk, and Mindlords as well. Definitely needs to be kept canon.

Yeah… we’re definitely not going to un-canon anything.

4 Likes

Alrighty then!

I’ve added it onto the queue of projects.

It’s up for grabs whenever someone feels the spirit so move them…

2 Likes

Crossposting a bit from Reddit here. I’d recently tracked down a copy of the Complete Humanoid Handbook and the mongrelman caught my fancy. I worked up a somewhat gonzo version of the mongrelman for use on Athas, and I actually think it’s a lot of fun…

I created a little 13-page mongrelman handbook. The reason I’m sharing it here is that it might be a little bit of a template of how a Herpetology/Lizard Folk of Athas Handbook could work… for each major lizard race you’d want some good art, some description of their society and ecology etc, how to use them as PCs, some important or usable NPCs, a location or two relevant to the race, some history/lore that also gives some hooks that a DM could use to have the mysteries of the race tie into bigger parts of the Athasian metaplot if they desired. I think if you created 10-12 pages for each of the major lizard races like this you’d really have a fun and useful little book.

6 Likes

Personally I just turn up the dsytopian dial on Saragar and have the whole society be largely based on an illusion. The Mindlords are projecting into all the residients minds to make then see and experience Sargar as a paradise when it’s actually not much better than the rest of Athas. The people live wretched lives smiling and happy because it’s imposed into their minds. It’s actually worse than the rest of Athas in many ways because they can’t even see and honestly engage with their surroundings as they really are. The last sea is there, but there is no life in it, it’s a briney waste and many of the residents of the region are actually not real or least really what they think they are, but projections of the Mind Lord who in their madness have decided to “Preserve” the last sea despite all the time and changes that have occurred.

6 Likes

NOW WE ARE TALKIN’! I really like that idea

2 Likes