Epic Athas 3.5 by redking (WIP)

well, legends of athas gave them far hand and the ability to absorb items for a reason. still, I agree it could be altered a little.

2 Likes

Giving avangions ghost limbs as a passive psionic ability wouldnā€™t be game breaking. There shouldnā€™t be an issue with rings or bracers as that goes against game balance. Perhaps these things can be absorbed within the character or some such concession.

2 Likes

I like this idea. This does bring up the oft debated question of what kind of physical appearance avangions should have, but this idea is neat regardless. Do you have any other ideas for the transformation? If Redking is going to be unavailable for some time, I could try my hand at developing some of the spells myself, though Iā€™m still trying to figure out what the final benefits and form should look like. Once I have an idea for the final benefits and typical mitigating factors, I can start breaking it into chunks, basically, working backwards.

1 Like

I hope you will. The reason why I posted the framework was in the hopes that people would take it and run with it. Youā€™ve got everything you need, you just need to craft the spells.

1 Like

I certainly plan on trying. My reluctance more stems from that I donā€™t just want to do a straight conversion or update, as legends of athas already had that mostly covered, but trying to expand, explore, or even somewhat reinvent the concept of avangions to feel more streamlined and fit better in with the world and the nature of their magic. I donā€™t necessarily intend huge changes, but as I mentioned above they were poorly thought out in 2e, and I wish to correct that as much as I can. (note that even WOTC seemed to agree on this front, the 4e version has several statistical features and fluff elements not present in 2e, whereas the draconic transformation is pretty much identical in tone to the original, if not entirely specific about the mass sacrifice bit)

With this as my stated goal, and some blocks of time available in the next few days, I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or links to places where suggestions have been made that could help me with in achieving this goal as I work on writing up the metamorphosis.

Also, in case anyone is interested, this is the pathfinder conversion I mentioned above, one of the only conversions for any edition where someone actually tried to tackle advanced beings. While their are no metamorphosis spells, just super prestige classes, some of the work is very interesting, and a major reason why iā€™m interested in seeing what can be done with the concepts of both dragons and avangions. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vv1a7v3y5BbEowUzZkQ1NBdlk/view

1 Like

My framework explicitly leaves open to possibility of advanced being prestige classes, even those appearing in Legends of Athas. So if you want to do a PrC, you can.

The good thing about this system is that you can have any kind of ā€˜avangionā€™ you like because no avangion (or dragon for that matter) is truly alike. So go ahead and produce the avangion that most accords with your vision.

1 Like

Oh, donā€™t get me wrong, the spells are critical to a proper conversion. I was more referring to some of the abilities granted to dragons and avangions in the conversion.

1 Like

Still trying to figure out proper cost reduction mechanics and flavor, but here is exhibit A:

Preserver Metamorphosis I

Transmutation (psionic enchantment)

Spellcraft DC: 60

Components: V, S, F

Casting Time: 10 minutes

Target, effect, or area: Personal

Duration: Instantaneous

Saving Throw: N/A

Spell Resistance: No

To Develop: 540,000 gp, 11 days, 21,600 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). reveal (#). Factors: Change type to aberration (+25 DC). Add advanced being subtype (+30 DC). Ageless (+10 DC). Self-sustaining (+10 DC). Spell-like abilities# (ad hoc +75 DC) Add polyglot epic feat [non-combat] (+35 DC). Improved senses [low light vision] (+10 DC). Lifesense (ad hoc +30 DC). Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 5,000,000 cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 8,000 XP (-80 DC). Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting.

This spell transforms you into the first stage of the Avangion species. Your type becomes aberration, and you lose all previous types and gain all advantages of the new type. Additionally, you gain the advanced being subtype. Once this spell is cast, you becomes ageless and self-sustaining, meaning you have no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. You no longer takes penalties to ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. You gain the ability to comprehend and speak the language of any creature you interact with, and read and write any language, as per the Polyglot [Epic] feat.

Your senses improve dramatically at this stage. You gain low-light vision, as well as lifesense out to 60ft (lifesense is identical to blindsight, but only locates living creatures within range). Finally, your attunement to life and psionic auras gives you several spell-like abilities which are always active out to the range of your lifesense: detect chaos/evil/good/law, detect thoughts, and discern lies. These abilities are treated as if under continual concentration (though they never require concentration to function), and there is no saving throw against these effects. Effects that block divination magic or psionics still work normally against this ability.

The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp. (50,000 gp) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling, and the cost is made up of the remains (ash, physical remains, artifacts, etcā€¦) of enemies of life. I.e. high-level defilers and the like. Physically you change very little, save possibly gaining slightly more noble features or your eyes may take on a gold or silver sheen.

#Note, true sight through reveal seed is DC 25, combined spell like abilities are about that strong, tripled cost for metamorphosis updated rules.

Compared to Dragon: better senses at this level, does not possess fast healing (should I change this?). spell takes longer to cast and has more exacting casting requirements.

1 Like

What Iā€™m thinking, going forward:
ā€“Avangions should have the same immunities as dragons/champions by the end.
ā€“Avangions should end up with something like a +15 or so deflection bonus to AC at least, plus some natural armor from size.
ā€“Avangions should have DR/-- like in LoA
ā€“Spell resistance and power resistance will show up, but I donā€™t think they need to end up as high as they were made by the epic bureau, but it will end up at least equal to dragons.
ā€“Grow to huge size, with LoA size mechanics
ā€“Cerebral expansion 1-5 or mental bonuses

What I plan to remove from the metamorphosis:
Avangions are magically altered creatures connected to light and water, so having an aura is a no brainer. That said, I dislike the alignment based aspects of the aura in 2e and 3e. Athas is a world without outer planes or cosmically defined morality, and several of the more angelic abilities need to be altered or removed to better reflect an avangions status as an unnatural creation of arcane and psionic power. The general concept of the aura as a protective, hindering, and restorative shell will remain, but I plan on altering how it works, taking some inspiration from 4e or other conversions (suggestions as to what it could do would be appreciated)

What I want to add that has not been present in some versions of the metamorphosis:
ā€“Psionic Ghost limbs and item absorption (thanks Killer DM), as well as not necessarily becoming completely physically incapable (channeling energy through wing attacks, perhaps?)
ā€“Some ability to restore the health of the land and water (perhaps as part of the aura?)
ā€“Some ability to restore the health of other creatures (could be hit points, could be conditions) or some similar features unusual to arcane magic, reflecting how an avangions magic should blur the line between preserving and druidic or elemental magic, per the fluff. (Redking, do you think this could be handled better as an epic or salient feat, like dragon meta magic and extended dragon meta magic?)
ā€“More cerebral/innate psionic and magical abilities. An Avangion should be as much as a mystical transformation as a physical one, whereas dragons are extremely based in the power of the body, raw brute strength and predatory hunger. (nothing major here, still working on it and could use suggestions, but enough that a mid stage avangion feels distinct from a preserver/psionicist, like how a dragon has a new set of physical powers by the middle stage)

Questions:
Are there any subtypes, besides advanced being, that avangions should gain (particularly elemental or energy subtypes)?

Can anyone think of good mitigating factors that can make up for the lack of backlash damage and living sacrifices?

And finally, does anyone else want to try to develop some of the spells with these in mind?

1 Like

Interesting. I did the calculations and youā€™ve got around the same mitigating DC as my dragon, which is good.

You could probably forego fast healing at the first rank of avangion. Avangions are known to be extremely vulnerable at this stage.

My advice is to start developing your line of 10 spells. Then, go through them and see what you want to change.

1 Like

Come up with the NUMBER for the mitigating factor first. Then weā€™ll work out the specifics of the mitigation. Thatā€™s what I did with my dragon spells.

1 Like

Preserver Metamorphosis II

Spellcraft DC: 60

To Develop: 540,000 gp, 11 days, 21,600 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). fortify (#). Factors: SR/PR at hit dice +2 (+105 DC). DR 5/-- (+75 DC). +2 deflection bonus to AC (+36 DC) Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 50,000 gp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 7,100 XP (-71 DC). Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell may only be cast after the preserver metamorphosis 1 spell has been cast, and you must be of the aberration type. This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp. (50,000 gp) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling, and the cost is made up of the remains (ash, physical remains, artifacts, etcā€¦) of enemies of life. I.e. high-level defilers and the like.

This spell transforms you into the second stage of the Avangion species. At this stage your defensive powers start to manifest, granting you a +2 deflection bonus to your armor class, as well as DR 5/-- and SR/PR equal to hit dice +2.

Physically your skin takes on a metallic glow similar to your eyes, and any hair you have turns pure white.

#Note, calculating this was a pain, and I have no idea how LoA did it. I used one fortify seed rather than multiple, but treated it as if it could hold all the base factors (DR/SR/Deflection bonus) at DC 27, then added from there. DR/-- was cost as DR/Epic. Everything was tripled in the end, of course.

Compared to Dragon: No change shape, roughly same AC, fewer hit points and no fast healing, better DR and some SR/PR.

1 Like

Preserver Metamorphosis III

Spellcraft DC: 70

To Develop: 630,000 gp, 13 days, 25,200 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). fortify (#). Factors: Increase SR/PR to hit dice +4 (+63 DC). Additional +1 deflection bonus to AC (+18 DC). Winged Flight (+60 DC). Immunity to Disease, Paralysis, Poison, and Stunning (+100 DC) Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 50,000 gp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 8,6000 XP (-86 DC) Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell may only be cast after the preserver metamorphosis II spell has been cast, and you must be of the aberration type. This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp. (50,000 gp) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling, and the cost is made up of the remains (ash, physical remains, artifacts, etcā€¦) of enemies of life. I.e. high-level defilers and the like.

This spell transforms you into the third stage of the Avangion species. At this stage your Avangion nature start to physically manifest, granting you an additional +1 deflection bonus to your armor class, as well as improving your SR/PR to be equal to your hit dice +4. Gossamer wings sprout from you back, granting you the extraordinary ability to fly at a speed of 60 ft (good). Finally, the growing changes on your body render you immune to Disease, Paralysis, Poison, and Stunning.

Any concealment of your true form is lost at this stage, as enormous gossamer wings sprout from your back and shoulders. The wings themselves are filmy and nearly transparent, though they span about 20 feet. Your eyes become bright silver and your skin glitters in the sunlight.

#Noteā€¦

Compared to Dragon: Some similar immunities. Still lacks fast healing.

1 Like

Hey, @redking any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Try to include the ability as part of the metamorphosis, rather than a epic feat or salient feat.

Thatā€™s going to be complicated, but I can try. I donā€™t have a clear idea, so Iā€™ll probably try to work it in later.

Preserver Metamorphosis IV

Spellcraft DC: 75

To Develop: 675,000 gp, 14 days, 27,000 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). fortify (#). Factors: Increase SR/PR to hit dice +6 (+63 DC). Additional +2 deflection bonus to AC (+36 DC). Increase DR to 10/-- (+75 DC). Fast healing 5 (+90 DC). Maximum hit points per hit die (+100 DC). Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 125,000 gp focus structure (-125 DC). Exacting structure requirements [1 mile vegetation personally saved, gifts from epic characters] (ad hoc -25 DC). Burn 10,400 XP (-104 DC). Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell may only be cast after the preserver metamorphosis III spell has been cast, and you must be of the aberration type. This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp. (125,000 gp.) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling in an area no less than one mile in all directions and the cost is made up of gifts from no less than three powerful good creatures (at least 20 HD). The structure is centered on a single bush or tree that you have personally saved from defiling.

This spell transforms you into the fourth stage of the Avangion species. At this stage the life giving power you hold strengthens your body and spirit, granting you an additional +2 deflection bonus to your armor class, as well as improving your SR/PR to be equal to your hit dice +6. Your life force is strengthened, granting you maximum hit points per hit die, and you now heal supernaturally quickly, gaining fast healing 5.

Your original form becomes increasingly vague. All your hair has vanished at this point and webs of filmy winglike material forms between your arms, torso, fingers and toes. Your existing wings form into multiple folds, which can be extended out to a 25-foot span.

#Noteā€¦

Compared to Dragon: Lower AC, better resistance. Now has fast healing and max HP, but still lower con score. No natural attacks.

1 Like

Preserver Metamorphosis V

Spellcraft DC: 80

To Develop: 720,000 gp, 15 days, 28,800 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). fortify (#) transport (#) transform (#). Factors: size alteration increase by one category (+95 DC). Additional +1 deflection bonus to AC (+18 DC). Add Avangion spell-like and supernatural abilities (+264 DC) Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 125,000 gp focus structure (-125 DC). Exacting structure requirements [1 mile vegetation personally saved, gifts from epic characters] (ad hoc -25 DC). Burn 11,200 XP (-112 DC). Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell may only be cast after the preserver metamorphosis IV spell has been cast, and you must be of the aberration type. This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp. (125,000 gp.) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling in an area no less than one mile in all directions and the cost is made up of gifts from no less than three powerful good creatures (at least 20 HD). The structure is centered on a single bush or tree that you have personally saved from defiling.

This spell transforms you into the fifth stage of the Avangion species. At this stage the life giving power you hold strengthens your body and spirit, granting you an additional +1 deflection bonus to your armor class (total +6). In addition, your size increases by one category, gaining all of the features therein, save Str increase which instead becomes Int at half the rate of the Str increase. (If you increase from Medium to Large for instance you would gain +4 Int, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 natural armor, and -1 on attack/AC.) More importantly, the massive physical and mental alterations you have undergone grant you a number of spell-like and supernatural abilities:

Altered State (Ex): An Avangions inner and outer nature is in tune with arcane magic in a way no mortal creature can match. They never need material or somatic components for spells up to 9th level. Furthermore they have the ability to absorb magical items that take up body slots, arm or hand slots, and feet slots into their body gaining all of the ability of the item as if the item were worn. This effect lasts until they absorb a new item into the same slot at which point the former abilities are lost. (Note that the act of absorbing the magical item destroys the item in question.) This ability is very important at this point as they are no longer able to use many magic items regularly due to the massive transformation of their body.

Spirit Presence (Su): An Avangion gains the ability to passively perceive the Ethereal plane and the Gray out to 60ft. Furthermore, they can manifest ethereal tendrils into those planes or the material plane as a standard action. These ghostly limbs have a 10 ft reach and an effective strength score of 20 for manipulating creatures and objects. These limbs are treated as force effects, and have an AC of 10 plus the Avangions deflection bonus to armor class, with hit points equal to the Avangions hit dice. An Avangion can have no more than 2 such limbs active at a time.

Telekinetic Mastery (Psi): An Avangionā€™s mind is stronger than the world around them. They gain the extraordinary ability to levitate as the psionic power which is always active. Furthermore, they are continually under the effects of a touchsight power and can use far hand at will as a psi-like ability. The manifester level for these abilities is equal to the Avangions manifester level.

At this point your original form starts to become lost in the wispy folds of your wings, which can now extend to a 30 feet span. Your jaw retracts while your eyes grow larger. Your arms and legs grown thinner to the point where you can no longer support your own weight. You now can only float or fly at all times. You can also no longer wield hand held weapons or make standard unarmed attacks, though you can still make touch attacks.

#Noteā€¦This was hellishly complicated. I started with Transport seed time stream function (haste or slow) =DC 23, used as base for movement, add ethereal movement +2 to form the baseline of the telekinetic powers. Actually granting them took Transform 21 base, epic level creature adds +12, give Avangion extraordinary and supernatural abilities based on transforming (telekinetic mastery, altered state, spirit presence) +30, total=88 x 3= +264 DC

Compared to Dragon: Fewer immunities and offensive powers, lower hp. higher int and unusual powers.

EDIT: @redking it seems that I canā€™t have more than three posts in a row, so adding stage 6 as an edit. Also, Iā€™m probably not going to be able to fit in a pseudo divine crossover mechanic as part of the metamorphosis. Is there any particular reason that you seem averse to epic/salient feats for specific advanced beings (dragons and avangions alike) or am I misreading your reluctance?

Also, Iā€™m not yet certain of what mitigating factors to use on stage 7-9. Furthermore, I doubt Iā€™m going to be able to add the 12 hit points per hit die to avangions, but Iā€™m not sure it will be needed.

Preserver Metamorphosis VI

Spellcraft DC: 80

To Develop: 720,000 gp, 15 days, 28,800 XP. Seeds: metamorphosis (DC 28). fortify (#). Factors: SR/PR to hit dice +12 (+87 DC). Additional +4 deflection bonus to AC (+72 DC). Cerebral Expansion rank 1 (+25 DC). Immunity to sleep (+25 DC). Immunity to ability drain/damage, death effects, and energy drain (+90 DC). Improved flight (+80 DC). Mitigating factors: Psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Preparation time 2 years (-24 DC). 125,000 gp focus structure (-125 DC). Exacting structure requirements [1 mile vegetation personally saved, gifts from epic characters] (ad hoc -25 DC). Burn 11,900 XP (-119 DC). Increase casting time to 10 minutes (-18 DC).

Flavor text

This spell may only be cast after the preserver metamorphosis V spell has been cast, and you must be of the aberration type. This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning that an epic power slot must be expended as part of the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp. (125,000 gp.) This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling in an area no less than one mile in all directions and the cost is made up of gifts from no less than three powerful good creatures (at least 20 HD). The structure is centered on a single bush or tree that you have personally saved from defiling.

This spell transforms you into the sixth stage of the Avangion species. At this stage your defensive power increases dramatically, granting you an additional +4 deflection bonus to your armor class (total +10), and your SR/PR increasing to be equal to your hit dice +12. Further, you gain an immunity to sleep, ability damage and drain, death effects, and energy drain. Additionally, you gain the Cerebral Expansion Rank 1 ability, granting you 43 additional PP per day. Finally, your enlarged wings improve your flight speed to 120 ft (perfect). At this stage, you become far more mobile and graceful. Your incredible shining wings now span up to 40 feet, with your central body being now nearly lost in their folds.

#Noteā€¦

Compared to Dragon: Immunities are finally catching up, AC is rising. much lower hp.

1 Like

Just write ā€˜X-Factorā€™ and we can work it out later. As for anything lacking - donā€™t worry about it. Consider your avangion metamorphosis one path or even a basic path like my dragon metamorphosis. Gentle metamorphosis, part of the psiotheurgy skill, can iron out any rough edges between metamorphoses or after.

I have updated Salient feats and epic feats. A few of the salient feats made more sense as epic feats, given that they had stringent prereqs anyway. Also, new epic feats and non-epic feats.

I am still working on refining everything.

Also - did you know there was a project to clean up and fix the prestige class appendixes here on Athas dot org? It has been abandoned, and I think it is something that we should take up.

1 Like