Gnomes in Athas

It flies in the face of a current Athas. As yes - I realize that the previous team and current team has ruled that Athas has always been savage, but the trope of a previous golden age of peace, prosperity and happiness is also a common one that you could easily apply to Athas without damaging the setting, so long as this situation is no longer extant in the current age.

2 Likes

Extant, like, say…a bunch of happy go-lucky living gnomes? :wink:

1 Like

Yes. Surviving into the current age, they would have to be resentful, suspicious and angry folk.

2 Likes

I’m warming to the idea of laughing gnomes. But not laughing because they are happy, more because they are psychotic.

3 Likes

If you want to add happy Gnomes, add happy Gnomes. Gods though? Inconceivable!

3 Likes

Well, I did it so…not so inconceivable now, is it? My Athasian gnomes are living testaments of one simple truth: Morality is a choise, and you can be a kind person in an unkind world. It is not easy, there are not millions if them thriving in the world they are way less then Halflings or Humans, to say the least. But they go on, staying faithfull to themselves and smiling to the world’s scowl. As a Gnome Saying goes “Athas is brutal and harsh but it was not always that way, and there is no need to let your heart turn sand too”

1 Like

Gnomes on Athas? son of a… someone call Gallard quick! oh none existant gods, they’re breeding!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think we’ve all been trolled

3 Likes

If you meant by me, no.

Don’t you mean gnomed?

Personally, I think having a group of people who chose happiness in the face of Athas is an interesting idea, and not necessarily out of scope for the setting.

If Athasians can be stubbornly savage, stubbornly selfish, and stubbornly destructive… then why not have a group who clings to stubbornly happy?

Could be a coping mechanism, could be delusion, could be psychosis, could be a philosophy, could be a remnant religion, or something else.

In a post apocalyptic world of weirdness, it is a possibility not beyond the pale.

1 Like

Thanks you said it better then me.

1 Like

Great, why not add Puppyfolk to the setting next and maybe a dwarven grandma knitting alliance that’s planning on taking down the SK’s one at a time using psionically empowered handknit loin cloths for an army of very polite and dutiful Rikus clones.

Frankly I feel like the people of Athas would have cleansed these Gnomes even after Gallard hung his hat up and popped a squat in Nibenay, just out of shear spite and frustration.

2 Likes

No one is forcing you to add them to your Athas, you know?

2 Likes

Like what happened to the Kender?

1 Like

Kender steal things, Gnomes make people laught, a bit different I’d say. If there is a place in the multiverse who nees a bit of joy is Athas.

2 Likes

Maybe Kender stole things from gnomes. For example, gnome lives. This is Dark Sun, after all.

2 Likes

In that case the joke was on them at the end. Gnomes can be quite ruthless if faced with treachery.

1 Like

However if you are interested in the mechanics I have the 5th ed of the race outAthasian Gnomes

2 Likes

Brilliant! I needed this

2 Likes

Alarm, Sarcasm detected, Alarm.

1 Like