Scorched One from Polyhedron #136

Well, and its unkillable, so if you don’t destroy one for the day, its back in 2 hrs max.

I/we can do that. Do you (or anyone else, really) want to pitch 1-3 class/race combos and background seeds, and see which ones spark something, or should i just use a randomized generator for those until something amazing strikes me? (before i fix it all the be Athasian)

1 Like

BTW, I just made a quick edit to add this:

Advancement: By character class; Most scorched ones that were elemental clerics in life switch to Paraelemental Sun upon reanimation.

1 Like

2 hours?

Sure. How about elf fighter 2 ranger 3. Was maimed in a fight with gith. His fellow tribesmen, some of whom were jealous of him, left him for dead without water or shelter because he could no longer run. His injury was temporary, however, but they still ran off in the middle of the night. The elf fighter/ranger woke up and no one was there. By the end of the day he was dead. At dawn the next day, he was a scorched one. And yes - he stalked and took down his betrayers, but his thirst for water and revenge can never be quenched.

EDIT: Ah, you’d probably want to have the unique scorched one to have as many HD as the standard one. In that case, make it a 5th level ranger in addition to its 2 fighter levels. That gives it an animal companion, a desert bird that he loves, unlike humanoids, who he hates. The desert bird helps him scout out targets.

Oh, doh! Off by an order of magnitude. 20 min.

Fast Healing 1 = 1 hp/round. 200 hp = 200 rounds = 20 min.

I’ll give it a few days for some suggestions to pile up, but I’ve got one:

Halfling Water Cleric - Wishes to die, swimming one last time in his beloved water; Cast out from his tribe for his heretical religious views (the tribe worships Rain), he was marked an outcast by the tribe’s high priest - his own mother - and made his way into rhe Tablelands. A caravan master hired him for a route from Tyr to Urik, but when his magiks were exhausted on the day before they reached Urik, the miserly caravan master stabbed him in the back, slashed his hamstrings, and left him for dead. Now, he searches the wastes for the caravan master; then, on the his home village for revenge.

1 Like

Nor necessarily. Different HD/CR would give others a wider array of options to use…

1 Like

Fast healing switches off when “killed” (destroyed). Once the scorched one reaches zero HP it can fall back on enduring focus.

1 Like

Right. But if you drop it to…3 hp, it doesn’t have to heal for days (or temporarily kill itself) before coming back.

1 Like

A scorched one could play dead I guess.

Or run away. Or, more likely, the PCs retreat and it follows them - attacking after they stop to rest.

1 Like

I found a scorched one conversion on the EN World Conversion Catalog. I think your version compares favourably.

Scorched One

Medium Undead (Fire)

Hit Dice: 7d12 (45 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+5 Dex, +3 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Touch +8 melee (1d8 fire plus dehydrating touch)
Full Attack: Touch +8 melee (1d8 fire plus dehydrating touch)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dehydrating touch, insatiable thirst
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and spells with the light descriptor, rejuvenation, spell resistance 7, +4 turn resistance, undead traits, vulnerability to acid and cold, vulnerability to water
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +5
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 21, Con —, Int 14, Wis 11, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +15, Diplomacy +7, Disguise +15 (+17 acting), Intimidate +7, Listen +10, Search +12, Spot +10, Survival +13 (+15 following tracks)
Feats: Ability Focus (insatiable thirst), Skill Focus (Survival), Track, Weapon Finesse [B]

Environment: Warm deserts
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 8-20 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment:

A disheveled wanderer in tattered, weather-beaten garb stumbles through the sand beneath the hot desert sun. As it draws near, it appears extremely dehydrated and emaciated, its skin burnt and cracked.

Scorched ones arise from the remains of those who have succumbed to the perils of the desert. They now draw their power from the sun, wandering the deserts seeking out and tormenting the living. They often track caravans for many days, studying the strengths and weaknesses of their prey before the best opportunity arises to strike.

Due to their link to the power of the sun, scorched ones have weaker ties to the Negative Energy Plane than other undead.

A scorched one is 5 to 6 feet tall and weighs 100 to 200 pounds.

Scorched ones speak Common, Ignan, and Infernal in a hoarse, cracked voice.

A scorched one can be created with a create undead spell cast by a 15th-level spellcaster.

COMBAT

A scorched one prefers to rely on its potent supernatural and spell-like abilities, wading into melee only as an afterthought.

Dehydrating Touch (Su): The scorched one’s touch drains moisture from the body of living creatures, dealing 1d6 points of damage. This drain is especially devastating to water elementals and plant creatures, which instead take 1d8 points of damage.

Insatiable Thirst (Su): Twice per day as a standard action, a scorched one can create an insatiable thirst in one creature within 30 feet. The victim takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage and becomes fatigued; the nonlethal damage and fatigue cannot be cured until the victim has drunk at least 2 quarts of liquid. In addition, the victim must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or be compelled to search for a liquid to drink. The victim will proceed to drink any liquid not known to be poisonous, including potions; this condition lasts for 10 minutes. This compulsion is a mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a scorched one through simple combat: The “destroyed” scorched one will reform in 24 hours. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A scorched one that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + scorched one’s HD) against DC 16. The only way to completely destroy a scorched one is total immersion in water. Beheading a scorched one (either with a vorpal weapon or decapitation once it has been reduced to 0 hit points) renders it helpless until the next sunrise.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): 2/day - light, scorching ray (2 rays, +8 ranged touch); 1/day - continual flame, fire seeds (acorn grenades only, +8 ranged touch, DC 21), searing light (+8 ranged touch). Caster level equals Hit Dice (7th for a typical scorched one). The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Vulnerability to Water (Ex): Scorched ones are particularly vulnerable to water, and contact with it (such as reaching into a pool or being splashed with a vial or bucket of water) inflicts 2d6 points of damage per strike. Complete immersion (including being caught in the rain or being subjected to a high volume of water, as from the geyser function of a decanter of endless water ) inflicts 6d6 points of damage per round.

Advanced Scorched Ones

A scorched one of 14 or more Hit Dice gains sunbeam as an additional spell-like ability, usable once per day. Caster level equals Hit Dice.

Upon reaching 14 Hit Dice, a scorched one’s damage reduction improves to 10/magic.

1999 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Originally found in Polyhedron Magazine #136
Scorched One

1 Like

Thanks.

They obviously had the same ideas as me, probably just didn’t have access to TotDL yet (they had to reuse Ghost and Vampire abilities).

1 Like