Warlock Templar

Now that we have a good templar, I am working on a warlock templar for people that like that approach. Maybe templars are warlocks, like in 4E. Maybe warlock templars and cleric style templars work alongside. Perhaps only some Sorcerer Monarchs have warlock templars, as I suggested with a salient feat from my Epic Athas work. It is your choice how you want to handle it. In the spirit of choice, here are some warlock invocations for the Dark Sun setting.

New Invocations

Whispers of the Sorcerer King

Least; 2nd

You hear whispers in your ears, revealing secrets of Athas. Select three knowledge skills. You gain a +6 bonus on those three Knowledge skill checks for 24 hours. Once the 24 hours has elapsed, a different three knowledge skills may be selected.

Sorcerer King’s Protective Screen

Least; 2nd

You bring forth the protection of your sorcerer monarch, protecting yourself from arrows as if under a protection from arrows spell. Sorcerer King’s Protective Screen lasts for 24 hours or until discharged.

Sorcerer King’s Elite Guard

Least; 2nd

You call on your sorcerer monarch to imbue you with size and strength, intimidating the enemies of your leader. You get the benefits of an enlarge person spell and bless spell (bless giving you a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects). Sorcerer King’s Elite Guard lasts for 1 minute per caster level or until discharged.

Cool Oasis

Least; 2nd

You bring forth your sorcerer monarch’s succor. You get the benefits of the cooling canopy spell (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 148) and the sustenance psionic power. Cool Oasis lasts for 24 hours or until discharged.

Utterance of War

Dark; 7th

You bring valor and fury to your allies. You invoke the effects of a crusade spell (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 149). Invoking this invocation while it is still active discharges the previous invocation.

Find the Enemy

Least; 2nd

You seek out the enemy of your leader. You can invoke the effects of the footsteps of the quarry spell (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 156). In addition, you gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate and Sense Motive checks against the named enemy.

Dark; 6th

You become an avatar of your sorcerer monarch. You can invoke the effects of the transformation spell. Additionally, you get damage reduction 10/magic. If you have spellcasting ability, that ability is lost as detailed in the transformation spell description, nor may you use spell trigger or spell completion magic items, but your invocations are unhindered.

Aura Audit

Least; 1st

You know things about the citizens and slaves of your city. You can invoke the effects of the aura reading psionic power (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 178).

Sorcerer King’s Strength

Lesser; 3rd

When you use this invocation, your strength increases exponentially. You can carry heavy loads effortlessly, and your strength increases for other purposes also. You get the benefits of the psionic lighten load power (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 184), enabling you to increase your carrying capacity as if your Strength score was increased by 10 points, and an effect similar to the bull’s strength spell, except that instead of an enhancement bonus, you are granted a +4 morale bonus to Strength. Sorcerer King’s Strength lasts for 2 hours per caster level or until discharged.

Thousand Eyes of the Sorcerer King

Lesser; 3rd

Your sorcerer monarch grants you the power to truly see. You get the benefits of the ubiquitous vision psionic power, allowing you to see in a 360-degree sphere. Thousand Eyes of the Sorcerer King lasts for 24 hours or until discharged.

Sorcerer King’s Arsenal

Least; 1st

You call echoes of weaponry used by the soldiery of your sorcerer monarch into your hands. You can invoke the effects of the call weaponry psionic power. For every 4 caster levels you have, this invocation is augmented by 4 additional power points.

Mind Shield of the Sorcerer King

Least; 2nd

As a valuable agent of your sorcerer monarch, you gain protection against psionic and magical mind affecting intrusions. As an immediate action, you can invoke the effects of the thought shield psionic power. This invocation protects against both magical and psionic mind-affecting effects. For every 4 caster levels you have, this invocation is augmented by 1 additional power point, gaining the benefits detailed in the description of the power.

Sorcerer Monarch’s Injunction

Greater; 5th

Your sorcerer monarch grants you the power shatter mind blank effects and break enchantments. When you use this invocation, you may choose to invoke the effects of the shatter mind blank psionic power or the break enchantment spell. Your manifester/caster level equals your caster level for this invocation.

Punish the Cowards

Lesser; 3rd

You do not allow your servants to betray you or your monarch out of cowardice or weakness. You can invoke the effects of the infallible servant spell (Exemplars of Evil, page 27). This invocation differs from the spell description as any capture causes the spell to take effect, regardless of the captors alignment. You may have a number of servants affected by this invocation up to your Charisma ability modifier.

Sorcerer Monarch’s Sight

Greater; 5th

Your ability to perceive is almost as good as that of your sorcerer monarch. You get the benefits of the dragonsight spell (spell compendium page 73), enhancing your visual acuity. Sorcerer King’s Sight lasts for 24 hours or until discharged.

Cosmic Cognition

Dark; 9th

Nothing can be hidden from you. You can invoke the effects of the cosmic awareness power (Dark Sun Core Rules 3.5, page 180).

1 Like

Here is my shot at the warlock templar (PDF version).

Warlock Templar (Wtp)

Hit Die

D8.

Requirements

To qualify to become a warlock templar, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment

Within one step of patron sorcerer king on moral (good/evil) axis.

Class Skills

Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Concentration, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Literacy, Profession (any), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Search, Spot, Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at Each Level

4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Warlock templar are proficient in all simple weapons. Since templar training involves some education in warfare, warlock templars receive two martial weapons proficiencies. Warlock templars are proficient in light armor but not with shields

Sigil (Sp): Every warlock templar receives a sigil that is the sign of their rank and station as a templar within their city’s templarate. The form of the sigil is unique to each city state but is always unmistakable for what it is. The sigil serves as your divine focus and allows you to use the spell-like powers arcane mark, purify food and drink, and slave scent a combined total of times equal to 3 + your Cha modifier.

Invocations : A warlock templar does not cast spells as regular templars do. Instead, he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations that require him to focus the energy that emanates from his Sorcerer Monarch. A warlock templar may use invocations at will with the following qualifications:

A warlock templar’s invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation is therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting. A warlock templar is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A warlock templar can choose to use an invocation defensively, by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. A warlock templar’s invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation’s description specifically states otherwise. A warlock templar’s caster level with his invocations is equal to his warlock templar level.

The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is 10 + equivalent spell level + the warlock templar’s Charisma modifier. Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock templar cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat, as well as from feats that emulate metamagic effects for spell-like abilities, such as Quicken Spell-Like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability.

A warlock templar can select any invocation available to warlocks and can also choose from the invocations available to dragonfire adepts, except for those which modify breath weapons (as described in Dragon Magic). Unlike a standard warlock, a warlock templar’s invocations are divine magic based but are still subject to spell failure chance, just like their arcane warlock counterparts.

Secular Aptitude (Ex): At 1st level, you gain Secular Authority as a bonus feat. In addition, you receive a competence bonus to Secular Authority checks equal to half your warlock templar level.

Mitigate Corruption (Ex): You can mitigate the legal consequences of being caught being bribed or otherwise being financially corrupt by clever dissimulation. At 1st level you may take bribes or corruptly appropriate up to 1 Cp per day without legal consequences (you must still accept the bribes or illegally appropriate funds – the money does not come automatically). For every warlock templar level you have beyond first level, this legal immunity to financial corruption increases by 1 Cp per day. This does not protect the warlock templar from the consequences of other kinds of official corruption, like treason.

Detect Magic (Sp) : Beginning at 2nd level, a warlock can use detect magic as the spell at will. His caster level equals his class level.

Imbue Templar Item (Su): A warlock templar of 3rd level can use his supernatural power to craft magical items if he has the corresponding item crafting feat. He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level) in place of a required templar spell he doesn’t know or can’t cast. Spells to be emulated must be drawn from the templar spell list staring on page 138 of the Dark Sun Core Rules and includes the spells of two spheres granted by his Sorcerer Monarch, which must be selected by the warlock templar on obtaining this ability and may not be changed. You may not emulate spells that exceed half your caster level (for example, a warlock with a caster level of 5 may not emulate a 3rd level spell. He must have 6 caster levels to do that).

If the check succeeds, the warlock templar can create magical item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or Cp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level (in any class).

The warlock templar is considered to know the spells on the templar spell list and the spells on the two spheres that it knows for the purpose of activating spell trigger items.

Magical items created by a warlock templar are considered divine.

Templarate Training: At 4th-level, a warlock templar receives a bonus feat reflecting his privileged position and the training that comes along with it. These bonus feats must be drawn from the following: Alertness, Brew Potion, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Improved Turning, Investigator, Leadership, Linguist, Kleptocrat, Magical Aptitude, Persuasive, Favorite, Improved Sigil, Dissimulated, Faithful Follower, Field Officer, Scribe Scroll, or Skill Focus. A warlock templar must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat. The warlock templar gains another bonus feat at 8th level, 12th level, 16th level, and 20th level.

Refocus Invocation: At 3rd level, select an invocation that you know and another that you do not know but is of a grade that you capable of invoking but not of a higher grade than the known invocation. You can switch between the two invocations after 8 hours rest. At 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level you can select another pair of invocations that you can switch between.

High Templar (Ex): At 14th level you are either a high templar, or merely respected or feared by other templars. Against templars and creatures with the secular authority feat, you gain a +2 to skill checks of Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff and Sense Motive. These bonuses do not apply to other templars with this ability.

Unbreakable Bond (Ex): At 20th level (or 20th warlock templar caster level, whichever comes first), the bond with the vortice from which the warlock templar draws divine magic becomes unbreakable. The vortice is always open to the warlock templar, and even the warlock templar’s Sorcerer Monarch patron cannot stop the warlock templar from receiving invocations. Even the death of the Sorcerer Monarch does not stop the warlock templar from receiving invocations. The warlock templar becomes aware of this strengthened bond, but the Sorcerer Monarch has no special way of knowing unless the Sorcerer Monarch cuts off the warlock templar from invocations and notices that the warlock templar can still invoke invocations.

wtp

I continue to edit the OP of this thread. Some of the invocations were too lame/weak and would be suboptimal choices = never chosen. I am following the best practice now for such invocations. They have a primary ability or power, and a secondary lesser power, in instances were the primary power is relatively weak.

Ok, I have to be honest. I thought you had lost your mind making a divine warlock tied to the SM’s when I read through the salient feats.

I like the new invocations, and I got the image of templars doing templar things in templar ways. Well done.

This is good. Reduces the need for warlocks to use Extra Invocation at every available feat to be useful. Also thematic. If I chose a 24-hr buff, I could invoke before bed, wake and swap, and have 16 hours left of my invocation, but only able to invoke the alternate until rest again? Or would the 24-hr buff fall off once I switched? The flexibility of this would be great for an initial, planned assault if it were the intent.

I don’t think you lose anything (or set it out of balance) by increasing the HD to d8 and/or making Fort save good advancement. This would put their basic templar training on par with the Spellcasting variant; they just interact with the vortex differently. With two martial weapons and a good number of the new invocations increasing physical prowess, they would take to the front lines a little easier. I don’t even think this would bump them a tier.

1 Like

You aren’t alone. I did too. But I know that some people like warlocks as templars.

Cheers. I’m still working on more.

Sure, why not? There are no guarantees in battle, so if the timing is wrong they might end up with the wrong invocation or face the possibility that the 24 hour invocation could be dispelled. I’ll let them take the risk.

I had been trying to crack this particular nut for years now. It just came to me suddenly how to fix it.

I could probably do that. At the moment the warlock templar is balanced pretty well against the vanilla warlock. OK, lets do this. I am going to boost the HD to d8 good fort but armor proficiency and spell failure chance remain the same. If these guys are going on the front line they are doing it in light armor.

Now they are the same. Most likely high tier 3, while the cleric style templar is probably a low tier 2. The warlock templar will have certain advantages in some situations, so its even.

EDIT: I had a goal with both the clerical templar and the warlock templar. The goal was to make sure that taking a prestige class would be an agonizing choice, rather than the only choice for a player. I feel that most players, barring extreme need for something specifically different, will stay in these base classes. What say you?

Agreed. Part of the problem with any divine Spellcasting class except Druid in 3.5 was this very thing.

I’ve already tried to work out how a templar could strike out on their own and try to revolt once reaching 20th level, or present a challenge to a SM. They can’t (until level 47, which isn’t happening). There’s no AB mechanism. There’s no room for dual advancement without sacrificing freedom. The capstone is deliciously Athasian. Sure, you can cast spells on your own now, but what are you going to do? It’s freedom of one type in exchange for greater servitude.

1 Like

Its not really possible. Imagine how invested a 20+ level templar would be in his city state? Rebelling or leaving means losing it all. All the estates, properties, businesses, and perhaps even palaces that he owns.

I suggested an AB mechanism for a templar version of Farcluun, but it was so disliked that even I changed my mind about it.

Technically you could dual class out and get the capstone, since I attached the capstone to 20th caster level.

Right. Welcome to Athas, where all options are second best at best.

Even if the Sorcerer Monarch does not realize that the 20+ level templar is now a spellcasting free agent, the SM will surely realize that this is an epic character and treat him accordingly. There is a LOT the SM can do for an epic templar to keep him loyal. Immortality, for one, and not the lame immortality of undeath, but real, honest to goodness unaging life. All it costs the SM is 252,200 Cp for a one-off casting of Dregoth’s Gift of Eternal Life (from my epic spells PDF). Its a lot of money, but any SM is one of the top 10 richest individuals in the world, not to mention that you have an epic servant forever, barring mishap.

The unbreakable bond serves two purposes. The first is to say to epic characters (epic PCs) that you aren’t going to be left high and dry for some arbitrary reason. You are epic now. You have latitude. The other was a nerf for the SMs. Whatever is not epic is perfectly under the thumb of the SMs. Whatever is epic is a potential threat, and cannot be controlled by crude force.

The epic templar doesn’t really have anywhere to go after level 20. Psychic Oblate, maybe. Or maybe the epic templar will try his hand at invocation and become a warlock as well. If he does, he might take this feat.

Same Source Turning [General]

You are a spellcasting and invoking templar both. You draw on the vortice to turn undead with both classes.

Prerequisites: Least invocations. Turn or Rebuke Undead.

Benefit: Your templar warlock levels stack with your templar levels for the purpose of turning or rebuking undead.

A dual progression spellcasting templar and invoking warlock templar prestige class. It is a combination of the eldritch disciple and eldritch theurge with the serial numbers filed off. Some inappropriate features were removed. Uses the ultimate magus dual progression.

I probably wouldn’t take this prestige class, but I do believe it is balanced. It could make for some interesting NPC builds.

Mystic Invocator (PDF version here)

Why follow the path of the Mystic Invocator, you ask? Power. Limitless, unbounded power.

-Corin Asmuth, Mystic Invocator of Raam

Mystic Invocators seek the quick acquisition of mystical power from their connection with their sorcerer monarch. This power grab comes at a cost. Mystic Invocators are less politically astute than their single classed templarate counterparts, and they lack the training their more focused fellows receive. Despite the breadth of their powers, Mystic Invocators rarely reach the highest ranks of the templarate.

Hit Die : D8.

Requirements

To qualify to become a Mystic Invocator, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks. Knowledge (local) 4 ranks.

Feat: Same Source Turning.

Invocations: Ability to use least invocations.

Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level divine spells.

Special: Ability to turn or rebuke undead.

Class Features

Class Skills

Appraise, Bluff, Craft, Concentration, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Listen, Literacy, Profession (any), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Search, Spot, Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Spells per Day/Invocations Known

At each level except 1st, 4th, and 7th, you gain new spells per day as if you had also attained a level in any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to before you added the prestige class. You gain additional invocations and access to new invocations as if you had also gained a level in any one invoking class you belonged to previously (including eldritch blast). You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of either class would have gained (templarate training, advanced learning, and so on).

At 1st, 4th, and 7th level, you gain new spells (or invocations including eldritch blast) per day and an increase in caster (or invoker) level (and spells or invocations known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in your divine spellcasting or invoking class with the lowest caster or invoker level. For example, a 4th-level templar/1st-level templar warlock who gained one level of Mystic Invocator would gain increased spellcasting ability as if he had gained a level of templar warlock (since the templar warlock invoker level is lower than his templar caster level). If your divine spellcasting and templar warlock invoking classes have equal caster or invoker levels, you can apply this benefit to any of your existing divine spellcasting or invoking classes. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of those classes would have gained.

Turn/Rebuke Undead : Your invocator levels stacks with your other class levels for the purpose of determining your ability to turn or rebuke undead.

Secular Aptitude (Ex): Your levels in this class stack for purposes of calculating the competence bonus to secular authority checks.

Mitigate Corruption (Ex): Your levels in this class stack for this class feature.

Gift of the Sorcerer Monarch (Su) : At 1st level, you gain a sacred gift of invocations from your Sorcerer Monarch patron (who is also the source of your templar spells and your warlock invocations).

Choose one of the following abilities at 1st level, and another ability every three levels thereafter (4th, 7th, and 10th level). You can spend one of your turn/rebuke undead attempts as a swift action to activate the chosen invocations.

Corrupting Blast : In place of applying an eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast, you can change it into a corrupting blast. In addition to its normal effect, the blast applies a penalty on the target’s next Will save equal to 1/2 your class level (minimum -1). If the target doesn’t attempt a Will save before the end of your next turn, the effect fades.

Fearful Glare : You can render a single living creature within 30 feet of you shaken for 1 round (Will negates; DC 10 + class level + Cha modifier). The creature’s HD can’t exceed your character level.

Healing Blast : In place of applying an eldritch essence invocation to your eldritch blast, you can change it into a healing blast. The blast heals living creatures instead of dealing damage to them (the damage healed is equal to the damage normally dealt). Against undead, the healing blast deals damage as normal; against constructs or objects, the healing blast has no effect.

Strength of Will : You gain a bonus equal to 1/2 your class level (minimum +1) on your next save to resist a mind-affecting spell or ability. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1 round); if you haven’t attempted an appropriate save in this time, the effect ends.

Wild Frenzy : You gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls with melee weapons and eldritch blasts, along with temporary hit points equal to twice your class level. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1 round).

Spellblast (Sp) : This invocation (Lesser; 4th; Eldritch Essence), learned at 3rd level, allows you to place a divine spell that affects an area upon your eldritch blast. If the eldritch blast hits its target, the spell’s area is centered on any corner of the target’s space, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. If the eldritch blast misses its target, the spell is lost with no effect.

It takes a full-round action to cast the spell and fire the eldritch blast. Only an area spell with a casting time no greater than 1 standard action can be placed upon your eldritch blast.

Only the first target of your eldritch blast is affected by the spell (for example, an eldritch chain spellblast centers the spell on the initial target, not on any of the secondary targets). If your eldritch blast doesn’t specify a target, you can’t apply this invocation to the blast.

Treat spellblast as a spell whose level is equal to the area spell placed upon the eldritch blast (minimum 4th level).

Eldritch Spellweave (Su) : Beginning at 5th level, you can apply an eldritch essence invocation you know (other than greatreach blast or spellblast) to any divine spell that affects a target or that requires a melee or ranged touch attack. The spell’s level must be at least as high as the level of the eldritch essence (for example, you can apply hellrime blast only to a spell of 4th level or higher). If the essence requires a saving throw, use the normal save DC for that essence. If an eldritch essence invocation changes the damage of the spell, it can be applied only to a spell that deals damage (you can’t add brimstone blast to dimensional anchor, for example).

Using this ability increases the spell’s casting time to 1 full-round action. A spell that has a normal casting time of 1 full round or longer takes an extra full-round action to cast.

If the spell has more than one target or allows more than one attack, you must choose one target to be affected by the invocation; all other targets take only the normal effect of the spell.

You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1).

Greatreach Blast (Sp) : This invocation (Greater; 5th; Eldritch Essence) allows you to place a divine spell with a range of touch upon your eldritch blast. If the eldritch blast hits its target, the spell takes effect on that target as if you had touched it. If the eldritch blast misses its target, the spell is lost with no effect.

It takes a full-round action to cast the spell and fire the eldritch blast. Only a touch spell with a casting time no greater than 1 standard action can be placed upon your eldritch blast.

Only the first target of your eldritch blast is affected by the spell (for example, an eldritch greatreach chain delivers the touch spell on the initial target, not on any of the secondary targets). If your eldritch blast doesn’t specify a target, you can’t apply this invocation to the blast.

Treat greatreach blast as a spell whose level is equal to the touch spell placed upon the eldritch blast (minimum 5th level).

mystic invocator

Cleric, not Templar? Just a typo, right?

1 Like

Oh, shoot. I missed that in the copy paste. Correcting now. EDIT: I forgot to include eldritch blast. Fixing in spellcasting/invocations section now.

EDIT 2: This is proof of concept. I don’t feel very happy just lifting the class features of the eldritch disciple and eldritch theurge, but it is a way to show how it could work, and I don’t really have any ideas that would blend invoking and spellcasting as well as the eldritch disciple and eldritch theurge already did.

I mean, its a well designed prestige class that does what it’s supposed to. A reskin of something good is sometimes all that’s required.

Its not supposed to be wildly inspired - its a dual-caster mash-up PrC; mystic thurge isn’t glorious, its exactly what you need.

Edit: Oh, if you need to put more bells and whistles on, maybe you could also do a Pathfinder version? That’d need more jazz, right?

1 Like

I don’t know enough about Pathfinder to understand how it balances, so I wouldn’t dare.

True. No need to reinvent the wheel. The question is whether it is fun to play. I suspect that it is at least as fun as an eldritch theurge, perhaps more so.

You’ve seen it enough to compare 3.5e & PF Sorcerers, prestige classes would be largely similar if balance - and I’m sure that if there’s a PF Warlock, there’s a PF Eldritch Theurge…

1 Like

The Sorcerer was easy because the 3.5e Sorcerer has no class features whatsoever. I know enough about 3.5e to know that if the Sorcerer debuted in 2007 instead of being carried over from 3E in 2000, there would have been some class features - which Pathfinder did in 2009 with their ‘3.75’ version of D&D.

In terms of other classes, Pathfinder is a lot more generous with feats than 3.5. That throws off all the balance considerations. The 3.5e Warlock, not being OGL, does not exist in Pathfinder.

Open call for templar invocations, by the way. Lets see 'em.

Its not easy coming up with invocations and feats for templar warlocks and balancing them against other choices, let me tell you.

Here is one that I just came up with. It competes with extra invocation for attention. Here, the warlock templar must choose whether he wants more flexibility, or another invocation that he can use all day all the time (albeit, of a lower grade than his maximum grade).

Improved Refocus Invocation [General]

You can refocus invocations more flexibly. Your refocused invocations come in threes rather than pairs.

Prerequisites: Refocus Invocation.

Benefit: Select an additional invocation of a grade that you capable of invoking but not of a higher grade than the known invocation for all the invocations that you have selected for your refocus invocation class ability. You are now able to switch between any of the triad of invocations after 8 hours rest. For example, Aldus the warlock templar knows Baleful Utterance and previously selected Beguiling Influence to pair with the former via his refocus invocation class ability. Aldus may now choose another invocation to add to the pair, making a triad. Aldus selects Dark One’s Own Luck as his third refocused invocation. He may now switch between Baleful Utterance, Beguiling Influence, and Dark One’s Own Luck with 8 hours rest.

1 Like

Another invocation. They are very slow coming because it is hard to come up with invocations that don’t tread on the turf of other classes.

Slave Breaker

Least; 1st

You can bring slaves (or any enemy) down without damaging its market value. This invocation is the equivalent of the whelm spell (Player’s Handbook II, page 128), except as follows. You invoke an occult assault on the target’s mind, dealing 1d6 points of nonlethal damage if it fails its saving throw. For every two caster levels beyond 1st, you deal an extra 1d6 points of nonlethal damage to the subject, to a maximum of 5d6 at 9th level. For every 4 caster levels you have, you may target one additional creature.

Players Handbook 2 is proving useful for ideas.

Sorcerer King’s Aegis

Lesser; 4th

A shield comes into being to block enemy magics. As the mystic aegis spell (Player’s Handbook II, page 120). You invoke sorcerer king’s aegis immediately when you are targeted by a hostile spell. You gain spell resistance equal to 12 + your caster level against that spell. Sorcerer king’s aegis can only block the first hostile spell in each round.

Can this be used as an immediate action as the spell?

I’m not as up to speed on all things warlock; are there other immediate action invocations?

1 Like

This makes a warlock really worth playing on the templar chassis. Almost like a workable Duskblade. Quicken Spell-like Ability will be a must have, and now there’s room for it.

Eldritch glaive builds and some of the newer warrior-esque invocations puts this on par with psy war. Now I want to build one with war mind for sweeping strike, eldritch glaive, and these new invocations. I’ll add it to the list. :rofl:

1 Like

Technically the spell is cast as an immediate action automatically as soon as the hostile spell hits. Warlock invitations are standard actions unless noted otherwise. This is just like the spell. The invocation happens automatically when about to be struck by the hostile spell.

Don’t forget this rule.

The creature can only select a spell-like ability duplicating a spell with a level less than or equal to half its caster level (round down) –4.

Sorcerer King’s Elite Guard and Avatar of the Sorcerer King have good synergy.

EDIT: I updated Sorcerer King’s Strength to provide a morale bonus instead of an enhancement bonus to strength so it does not become obsolete at higher levels.