The tech level of glasswork in Athas is generally less than most fantasy realms. Most of this is due to the lack of a steady supply of metal tools. Heck, there’s a ton of sand and some ways that directed sun heat might be able to make some larger, crude glass blocks - but it isn’t common for most housing. So clear windows would be nigh near unheard of. Couple this with a lack of metal locks and security suddenly needs to be approached a bit differently. While this makes thievery easier, let’s visit some of the ways people would protect their valuables.
- Bars across doors, dummy bars, wooden/bone jail cell style bars in larger windows.
- Security. Guards, trained animals/pets, etc…
- Traps. Deadfalls, murderholes, alarm style bells, magic, etc… Possibly even psionically empowered systems for the truly wealthy and elite.
- The occasional wizard rune or templar/cleric cast ward… likely paid at a higher cost than even standard listing price. Possibly even with a retainer cost for resets as they’d be more likely to become tripped.
- Straight up sneaky hiding/smuggling style tactics/burying loot or just not having it where you sleep.
- Undead. Heck, coin could even be hidden in a zombie’s stomach cavity. I know I wouldn’t look there.
- Sometimes having the item/loot stolen isn’t a big deal if you’re good at tracking it and hunting it down. A reputation is also a strong ward itself.
- Psionically hardened wooden or other material locks.
What else have you used in game?