Defiler Subclass -- Agents of the Sorcerer Kings

Does anyone remember a player kit or theme designed for Defilers who served as secret agents of the sorcerer kings. I have been looking through all the sourcebooks for it. I know I remember seeing, possibly in 2nd edition. Any help you could provide it would be appreciated on where I can find it.

1 Like

The Arcanamach. It was in Dragon Magazine 194.

2 Likes

The Arcanamach, as Sysane says. It was implemented as the Myrmelon here at Athas dot org for 3.5e.

1 Like

I can’t believe I missed that issue!

The Arcanamach from Dragon Magazine 194 more closely resembles the Royal Defiler PrC from Athas dot org - they’re the SM’s personal defiler cadres that do the grunt work of arcane magic and are allowed to practice it openly.
The Myrmeleons are the undercover operatives assigned to infiltrate the Veiled Alliance. They were introduced as a concept in DSR3 Veiled Alliance, but didn’t have any specific kit or rules IIRC, other than using a 9th level defiler masquerading as a 5th lvl preserver as an example.
In 3.X rules terms, I suppose it depends what you’re after Ziggurat: if it’s the undercover infiltrators, go with Myrmeleon. If you want a defiler who learns at the foot of a SM, can practice magic openly with their monarch’s protection, and get a big target on their backs (from almost everyone but the SM, including the SM’s templarate who don’t like the competition), then Royal Defiler is your option.
And if you want the underclass of royal sanctioned defilers, go with the Royal Animators who raise the undead in the arenas and the SM’s armies. :wink:

2 Likes