Modified template for 3.5 Advanced Being (Dragon/Avangion)

This views advanced beings as coming from same chassis. For example, Korgunard would be an Advanced Being (Avangion). Kalak would be an Advanced Being (Dragon). All have the basic Advanced Being traits, and develop separate (additional) traits depending on whether they are dragons or avangions.

Type: The creature’s type changes to Advanced Being.

HD: An Advanced Being always has maximum hit points from HD. Advanced Beings also gain an additional 12 hit points per HD.

BAB: An Advanced Being recalculates BAB to reflect the fighter BAB progression.

Skills: An Advanced Being recalculates skills to reflect the rogue skill progression (8+ INT modifier)

Advanced Being Skill Affinity (EX): An Advanced Being is not limited to maximum skill ranks of Hit Dice + 3 skills like mere mortals. Instead maximum skill ranks for Advanced Beings is Hit Dice + INT modifier. Furthermore, all skills are considered class skills for an Advanced Being.

Immortality (Ex): Advanced Beings are naturally immortal and cannot die from natural causes. Advanced Beings do not age, and they do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe. The only way for Advanced Beings to die is through special circumstances, usually by being slain in magical or physical combat.

Immunities (Ex): Advanced Beings are immune to disease, poison, stunning, sleep, paralysis, death effects, disintegration, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters its form. Immunities can voluntarily be lowered as a move action.

Regeneration (Ex): An Advanced Being has regeneration 10. Cold and sonic effects deal normal damage to an Advanced Being. If a Advanced Being loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. The Advanced Being can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Resistances (Ex): An Advanced Being has both spell resistance and power resistance 32.

Psionic Enchantment: Half of an Advanced Being’s character level (round down) is added to all the Advanced Beings spellcasting and manifesting level for purposes of determining the caster and manifester level of the Advanced Being when casting a spell or manifesting a power. Psionic Enchantment also allows for mitigating epic spell factors. *

Recuperation (Ex): An Advanced Being may rest for 2 hours, and regain a number of hit points equal to half its full hit points (up to a maximum of its full hit points) and regain the use of any class features that are limited to a certain number of uses per day (such as barbarian rage, bardic performance, spells per day, and so on). %

Studious Retention: The Advanced Being may recover previously prepared spells through normal rest without study (or through the recuperation ability). Any spell changes must be memorized, and must have the normal 8 hours of rest. (

Ability Scores: The Advanced Being gains permanent adjustments to each of its ability scores. The following series of adjustments may be applied in any order to any ability score, but only one adjustment can be applied to each ability: +20, +16, +14, +14, +12, +12. Once these adjustments are applied they cannot be changed. $

Feats: At each character level the Advanced Being gains two bonus feats that it qualifies for, in addition to whatever other feats it will receive through leveling or by way of character class. =

*Mitigating epic spell factors not described here.

% I poached this from Pathfinder Mythic. I needed a reason why every SK wasn’t desperately searching for the Psionatrix. With this power they don’t need it. I did increase the recuperation time to 2 hours (it is only 1 hour in pathfinder).

( Old timers will remember the war on the forums about the issue of whether SKs must study and prepare spells or not. Well this ability ends the debate satisfactorily for both sides.

$ Yep, that is the deity ability array.

= Yes, that is 2 bonus feats at every single level. What does that mean? It means that 100 level SK builds are no longer required to make an adequate SK.

Try your hand at making an SK with this template. Its powerful, and it finally gives the SKs the credit that they are due. Obviously you don’t give this template to the PCs unless you are ending your Dark Sun campaign on a high note. I have always thought that a great ending for a Dark Sun campaign would be the restoration of Athas, and this template can help the PCs do that too if your Dark Sun campaign is ending.

1 Like

What would the CR and the Level adjustment be for this template?

1 Like

I’ve got no idea. This was 5 years ago, and ultimately this direction did not work.

Epic Athas is my up to date work. CR is wonky at best at higher levels. As a rule of thumb for my Epic Athas work, add +1 CR for every rank of metamorphosis and +1 CR for every salient feat. This is a crude methodology because there are so many ways you could build a character but that’s the best I’ve got.

1 Like