Taxes & Bureaucracy: Templars as continuing renaissance

The usual route of PCs as fugitives needing to avoid Templars at all costs seems an obvious route to take. But as Templars represent the kind of intrusive bureaucracy and enforcement arm of government that seems like it would cause all kinds of headaches even for even for apparently law abiding citizens. I’m thinking things like (maybe roll 1d12):

1. Import taxes
  2. Export taxes
  3. Property taxes
  4. Inheritance taxes
  5. Vagrancy fines
  6. Press-gang conscription
  7. Bribes (for specific situations)
  8. Grease (pre-bribes so officials will deal more favorably with you)
  9. Random inspections for contraban (even if you’re not under suspicion)
  10. Building inspectors (mandatory, but you still have to pay them)
  11. Public works engineers (declare a building eminent domain)
  12. Royal recognition of individual property ownership

But I’m running a little light on details. Like:

• How much taxes and need for bribery is the average worker likely able to keep up with before dying of starvation?
  • Or how much can merchants handle before the price of goods is too high and they can’t do business in the city-state anymore.
  • Or can you think of any other hassles and requirements to add to the list?
5 Likes

Road taxes, district taxes, weapon permit taxes. I’m sure the bribe/ tax would be based on the characters appearance. How nice are their clothes and equipment? If they look wealthy, they’ll be charged more.
The average freeman makes 2 bits a day. So, I would think Templars would only expect a tax payment of a bit or two from commoners, but would expect much more from wealthier residents. I doubt most normal freemen could actually bribe a templar.

5 Likes

“How much taxes and need for bribery is the average worker likely able to keep up with before dying of starvation?”

Failure to pay your “taxes” was probably cause for enslavement, so that probably happen less than you’d think.

6 Likes