Verini, the Volcano Lizard Folk from Wake of the Ravager

I am not overly familiar with the generally clumsy and inchoate lore behind that ancient SSI game, Wake of the Ravager, and I generally sigh over the mind flayers, umber hulks and tarrasques that inhabit that game. I raise an eyebrow, for example, at the presence of the Sultan of the Jann, who I might observe less belongs in the Dark Sun setting. And many other curious choices besides these litter the game.

Among the novelties of Wake of the Ravager are the enigmatic verini that Hades had the memory to evoke in an older post. Has anyone ever used these curious lizard folk creatures who inhabit the slopes and interior of a volcano in the Ringing Mountains? Has anyone ever used their magical artifact Fire Ruby in the game, and developed its backstory?

The verini were not a terrible addition to the setting, and certainly better than others from the SSI games. They seemed passably well-written. I consider whether or not they might be more tastefully inserted somehow. Alas, I am no lore master of those games, and only can glean so much from YouTube videos and internet comments. If anyone knows their game lore well, I would appreciate and enjoy an exposition.

4 Likes

@AndronicusVII Reminder to look into this later.

According to the WotR manual (https://archive.org/details/Dark_Sun_Wake_of_The_Ravager_Manual/mode/1up), the Verini are ā€œjustā€ good-aligned Firenewts, so that makes me feel A LITTLE better about humanoid proliferation (how many poorly developed, extremely similar, different types of humanoids does the multiverse - much less Athas - need?)

At first blush, they do seem interesting, and would likely make a nice counter-point to ssurransā€¦

4 Likes

I canā€™t offer much about this topic, but since you mentioned the SSI gamesā€¦

3 Likes

Wow. What a find. I never heard of this. Did The Gray Isles actually come out? I will have to look! Fascinating.

2 Likes

Unfortunately The Gray Isles never came out. It appears to have been in the advanced stages of development, so perhaps one day we will get hold of a development version.

2 Likes

Terrors of Athas actually had a cut 3e statted-out entry for them, not sure why they didnā€™t include them along with the other video game creatures

3 Likes

Ha. Thatā€™s a pretty good write-up darkinterloper. I appreciate you conjuring that up. I shall endeavor to incorporate these more pacific fire newts. Good stuff.

3 Likes