3.5 Prestige Class Appendix Volume I and II - lets discuss it

Ok, I really have to find a way to get a table template on mobile that mirrors the 3.5 PrC entries.

On Psionic PrC’s, I now have one or two other ideas. I was inspired by the Mythic Exemplar in CC recently, and thought two things: 1) using the template to represent Schools of the Way in different city states, or 2) representing Schools of the Way by discipline. I don’t want to do two the same way,

For instance, a school in Draj would have the lesser +1 level of manifesting class progression (4/10?), the Fort save increase, a bonus to Str, the paragon powers around Strength (with the ones that mimic spells from the psychic warrior power list), and a reasonable warrior-esque class feature. Balic would have the greater +1 ML class progression (8/10), a Will save increase, a bonus to Int, and the paragon powers around telepathy/domination effects (maybe pulling the final one from the Mindbender PrC). I think this would give city-state flavor to sanctioned studies of the Way.

Alternately (and conveniently, as there are 6), it could just be done by Discipline. It would be like having a college major. The +1ML would be a static 8/10, and the paragon powers associated with the disciplines would have to make up for the 2 ML loss. I like this less, but could supplement with creating Affiliations for schools of the various city-states’ academies for individual flavor.

To recap miscellaneous psionic class ideas so far that I need to work on:

1. Dual Adept
  2. Untutored One
  3. Academy Exemplar
  4. Alternate End-cap Psi class
1 Like

This is actually a good idea and prefer it to your nar demonbinder idea. Allow entry at 5th level. At 15th character level they already have 9th level spells - 14th if they have bonus spells by ability score. Just replace the shadow templar specials with the arch defiler specials, and use the shadow templar progression. They end up with quite a few lower level spells when considering both arcane classes. For the caster level mechanic you probably just select one arcane class for which levels in both classes stack to determine CL.

I’m late to this particular party, but my chief gripe with both PrC appendices is that there are just way too many niche classes full stop. Take Elementalist and Element Master. Do we really need 2 separate 5 level classes that emulate the feel and abilities of 2E clerics? Redesign them both into one 5 level class, or else make a 10 level (Para/)Elemental Cleric PrC with all the abilities in. Same for Restorationist (which I like) and Earth Defender (which just feels redundant). Merge them.

Elven and Kreen PrCs…someone had a serious hard on for both these races. 7 PrCs apiece for elves and thri kreen. Get rid of the Desert Runner for starters. All elves are natural born runners and if a PC wants to max their running out there are feats and skills that do this already.

There are PrCs which just reflect a specific cultural view of things which don’t make a material difference. Magnus was a ‘Wind Singer’, ie: a cleric of elemental air. Stick him with cleric levels and a couple of redesigned elementalist/elemental master levels (as per above) and Bob’s your uncle. By my back of a fag packet calculation, you could probably reduce the contents by 1/4 to 1/3, freeing up space for some interesting PrCs that lean into other races and archetypes (dwarven PrCs for instance?).

1 Like

Very well said. Ditto psionic monk and sensei. Both have virtually the same fluff. I say bring back the different fluff regular monk and keep the sensei as an explicitly psionic martial artist.

1 Like

Just to put my money where my mouth is, here’s a rough and dirty draft of the 10 level elemental cleric PrC, the Elemental Eidolon. I’ve taken the features from both Elementalist and Element Master, fitting it so a cleric PC can take their first level in the PrC at 11th level. Happy for feedback and criticism (hopefully I tuned the stats appropriately), particularly around whether any Special abilities should be dropped or granted at a higher level.

***EDIT: Deleted. As SeruZmaj pointed out this has already been done and the 10 level class is in the Core Rules. Apologies everyone.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that the r7 version of the handbook combined those two classes already into a single 10 level prestige class.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right mate. It didn’t occur to me to go look at the Core Rules PrCs. face palm I need a holiday. Or blunt force trauma to the head.

Cheers!

1 Like

Even so, we’ve got two redundant PrCs out there and it took your post to get it identified so it was worth the effort.