5e Athasian Orcs

“Orcs are not brutes, my friend; they are a loyal partner and a people with a long memory." A balican Merchant in Orcs.

“The Siltwaves speaks the truth to those who listen to it.” Common Orc saying.

“I do not like to be so far from the Silt, but someone must represent my clan to this transations” Yearrak kroTallek, Orc Merchant in Tyr.

Orcs remember when they sailed the seas of water and lived a life of prosperity throught trade. Nowadays they try to do the same sailing the Sea of Silt. Orcs prefer to have allies and customer then enemies, but sometime, negotiation fails and a more direct approach is needed. Orcs have a deep respect for their elders, and have a rich oral culture whic dates back to the Green Age. Orcs will try and treat with everyone, even ra’amite, in spite of mutual loathing. Orcs do not practice slavery but thralldom is part of their culture. Thralls can’t be sold, injuried nor killed, without a serious reason, like betrayal. They have the right to be freed afer ten years of service, at the end of which they are part of the orc Clan, no matter their race. The bigger orc Clans have a proper commmercal net with outposts similar to the human Merchant Houses.

Athasian Orc Characters

Your orc character has an assortment of inborn abilities, part and parcel of Athasian orchish nature.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, your inelligence score increases by 1 and your Charisma score increases by 1.

Age. Orcs mature at 13, but rarely reproduce until 25. On average, they can live up to 150 years.

Alignment. Most orcs are lawfull on the ethical side, believing in tradition and clan cohesion. They tend toward neutrality on the moral side, as they are pragmatic in their dealings.

Size. Orcs are tall and heavy builded. Athasian orcs are average 6 to 7 feet in height and tend to have big bones and a strong mucular mass—a full-grown orc weighs in the neighborhood of 210 pounds. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You have a Swim speed of 30 fett you can use also with Silt. You can also treat it as a Burrow speed of 15 feet in sand and soft ground.

Orchish Resilience
You are immune to the Gray Death, and never risk suffucation in sandstorms and while swimming in silt; you have advantage to saving thows against poisons and disease.

Siltfarer Expertise.
You have advantage on Tool Checks using siltfarers tool, and you are proficient with it. You also have advantage to saving throws against being knocked prone.

Orchish Diplomacy.
You are Proficient in the Persuasion and Intimidate Skills.

Sharp Senses
You have Darkvision 60 feet, you also do not take disadvantage to Perception checks when you are in scarce visibility. You have also Blindsight 10 feet while you are swimming in silt or burrowing.

Orchish Charme
You can use the Charme Person spell. After using it once with this ability you need a long rest to use it again. Charisma is your spellcaster ability with this spell. Your DC is equal to 8+Charisma modifier +profiency.

Languages. You can speak Common and Orchish. Orchish is a guttural and hard-sounded language and an orc speaks any langueage with the same harshness.

2 Likes

Why do I feel like that first sentence is a jab at me😅

Anyways, I would think they actually seek out trade with Raam, taking as much money as possible from the subjects of Abalach-Re is to them a sort of justice. They would probably find all sorts of creative ways to mooch money away from Abalach-Re’s coffers, without openly screwing over her subjects during transactions, like overpricing goods beyond their worth, and instead find more subtle ways to do so without compromising trade.

I am tempted to suggest giving them a shape water/silt cantrip or alternatively the friends cantrip as well as charm person and suggestion as psi like abilities to show their affinity for the sea and trade

Well, it was inspired by you but more on the line " well if there is the risk of that misconception maybe it can be addressed in-universe too. " The idea of giving them some psionic power did cross my mind and yes, I will give them a charm person power.

1 Like