Advanced Beings rules for 5E - are there any homebrew

Does anyone know any homebrew source for 5E that gives some rules or mechanism for Advanced Beings?

Specifically aiming for Dragon and Avangion, but any others are nice too.

1 Like

I only played 5E at low levels, so I have no idea what an advanced being would look like in 5E. I can’t say I’ve seen any homebrew for that either.

How detailed do you want it? I’m sure there is something out there but perhaps it won’t meet the detail you want.

1 Like

It’s not that much about the detail even I guess; but more how one would go about it.

In 2E you could go wizard level 20 psionics level 20 and then you could start advancing as dragon or avangion.

In 3E this would work with prestige classes and those would have entry requirements (but I don’t know all that much about 3E only having played it once, never GM-ed it)

I guess you could say if I would know what corresponding mechanic there would be for 5E that I could look at I’m settled. But as the level cap design in 5E on level 20 does impact multiclassing, a multiclass wizard/psion would not give you what you would want I guess. In the best balanced case you would have only 10 levels of wizard and 10 levels of psion. And then wat?

1 Like

What are you going to use for psion in 5e?

Not sure yet.

Currently looking at Toucanbuzz, DMDave, Kibbletasty and the Korranberg for best fit. Oh and I am taking another look at the UA Mystic too.

Somehow I feel pro seperate class and against repackaged sorcerer.

In the end I might even just Frankenstein it myself from several sources into my own homebrew psionicist.

1 Like

3e had a lvl 20 cap until the Epic Handbook came out. Nothing keeping anyone from doing 20+, really…

But it would be a lot of work.

1 Like

A lot of work in what way?
In development of Advanced Being epic levels stuff classes?

Do you know of any 5E sourcebooks that delve into that?

I know next to nothing about 5e.

I imagine it’d be a pain to balance epic (20+) levels. The 3.0e epic levels were a $hitshow compared to the 3.5e version.

Its obviously not hard to just raise the lvlv cap to 40, but making those extra levels work with everything else and still be worthwhile sounds like work.

Yeah I fear it’s gonna be quite some headbutting to get it thought out, hence my original question.

Just saw that there’s some options for 5E like epic boons after level 20 based on experience, and ASI’s and feats extra based on experience.
Could just develop Advanced Beings stuff in a string of epic boons and ASI’s/Feats that require a certain amount of experience. That seems to be the simplest mechanical way of doing this.

1 Like

It really depends on how complicated you want to go.

Going back for reference. Advanced beings in 3.5e had more emphasis on the spellcasting side than the psionics side. In 3.5e to become a dragon for example, you had to be able to cast 9th level wizard spells and 6th level psionic powers. The prestige class for this was in Dragon Magazine #339.

I would use that as a starting point for what you want the requirements to be.

If you want something simple, use the epic boons for each stage of the metamorphosis, creating new ones for any you feel may be missing.

If you want to get complex, check out the Epic Legacy Core Rulebook by 2C Gaming for 5e epic levels rules.

And for 5e psionics, I would recommend the Codex of the Mind by Paradigm Concepts.

1 Like

A while back, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier to build an entirely new system specifically for dark sun (dark sun as its own game system, not d&d at all), than to try and make dark sun fit into 5th edition. There are a lot of obstacles and limitations. You could rebuild all the classes and races, prioritizing DS versions, but that’s just the start.

If you’re running a 5e DS game already, you could try combining Eberron’s approach to Dragonmarked Heirs being built into the races, in combination with homebrewed subclasses and spells tailored to give that Advanced Being feeling. Unless you create rules for post 20th level options, you’ll have to compromise on what can and cannot be done. Start the transformation at level 15, and have all of tier 4 as the experience. Level 20 could be a baby sorcerer king with powers/features/spells that allow you to be an Advanced Being, temporarily. Magic items and artifacts could fill some gaps.

Rereading my post gave me flashes of 4e dark sun. Not pleasant. Lol