Al Qadim - Adapting to Dark Sun part one

All righty, I discussed some of the challenges adapting Al Qadim. Of the things I’ve got, we’ll start with long hanging fruit. Things with less to offer.

A Dozen and One Adventures- This is a series of adventures in the city of Muluk. Most are fine adventures, though some of them might be a little light for Dark Sun adventures. However, the Brotherhood of Flame are major villains, and they serve as excellent models for evil defilers or flame or sun clerics.

Caravans- Nice for a series of travels. The adventure of the Empty Bottle has got some good Dark Sun potential. Heck, you’ve got to fight an undead giant riding the back of a skeleton roc! Ahz’zak and his damned crevasse fortress, make a good example of what I would think of as an Athasian genie.

Assassin Mountain- Very cool supplement focusing on the brotherhood (or rather a brotherhood) of assassins. Thing is they are way more than a bunch of thugs for hire. They are an extensive political force, with history and an impact on culture. The problem with bringing this into Dark Sun, is I can’t imagine the sorcerer monarchs tolerating this. They would have been obliterated at some point. They might be good at hiding, but not THAT good. Also, the gods the assassins serve don’t exist here.

Athas, also does have forces which have similar roles. There are elven tribes known and feared for their assassins. Some merchant houses are notorious for this kind of thing. So bringing in Assassin Mountain would have some serious redundancy. If I really wanted to do it, I would lean towards a monastery of psions and psychic warriors. That, or a weird variant located in the Kreen Empire.

Golden Voyages, City of Delights, Corsairs- These box sets rely too much on naval operations, benevolent empires, enlightened attitudes. Etc. While fun, not really Dark Sun appropriate.

Next up, Cities of Bone and Ruined Kingdoms.

3 Likes

Hey Andrew:

I’m a little confused. Is there a question from the group here? What are we discussing?

Seems to mostly be a review of the listed sources with an eye for Dark Sun adaption, with an implied invitation to comment or otherwise add to the thread topic. There are a whole series of these recently posted.

Regarding corsairs, wouldn’t ships and naval battles be able to be adopted to sand skimming and silt sailing ships to a degree?

2 Likes

Correct. I have to admit that it upsets me that people are confused. Tells me that I am not doing a good job.

I try to avoid direct silt vs sea conversions personally. Even if that’s not a concern for you, most of the stuff in corsairs and golden voyages is very clearly water. Walkin’ under water to find mermaids and sunken treasure, etc.

“I try to avoid direct silt vs sea conversions personally. Even if that’s not a concern for you, most of the stuff in corsairs and golden voyages is very clearly water. Walkin’ under water to find mermaids and sunken treasure, etc.”

Joining up with a Silt Cleric to walk under the silt to hunt a rare Silt Spawn & loot buried ruins or ships sounds fantastic, IMO.

Oh yes, I get it. There’s even one such adventure in City by the Silt Sea. It is just that I prefer to avoid one-to-one transference if possible.

Is there a Dark Sun version of Atlantis under the silt?

If there is, hopefully it’s full of Crabman…

You mean S’thag Zagath right? :wink:

Cute. But no, I seriously think the Sea of Silt should be inhabited by silt-adapted Crabmen. http://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/

I have a 5e conversion of player Ssurran that can burrow in silt and sand and can hold their breath for 15 minutes, perhaps there could be other races that could do the same.

Isn’t that just an Asibi?

Assabi is similar, yes, but different because they are on Forgotten Realms. The Ssurran that I adapted are canon to Dark Sun, but I made them closer to the Lizardfolk from Volo’s guide. If you want the homebrew for it I can link it from DnD beyond.

1 Like

Look at what you made me do! Look at it! Look at it!

3 Likes

Lol. Nice adaption! Very, ah… salty.

1 Like