• Crippled mul ex gladiator working as butcher
  • Halfling clairvoyant observing city dwellers
  • Half elf Raamite templar with insecurities
  • Dwarven kank mead brewer
  • Giant who wades through silt to trade
  • Thri-kreen cleric of water who teaches
  • Other

0 voters

I am working on a little project. In basic, a periodic comic that has an Athasian answer questions from an in universe perspective. I was thinking about different narrators, and the ones listed in the poll were we the ones I thought of. I am looking for characters who are distinctly Athasian, but have some sense of perspective.

Do you like that idea? What about the narrator options? What questions would you ask?

4 Likes

IMHO, the halfling should be the narrator, remotely viewing the others but I voted for the double leg amputee mul since he’s the one I pictured first (at least that is how I initialed imagined him on seeing the poll).

Angry bastard with a bronze cleaver.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking glorified pieces of obsidian with cloth for handles

1 Like

As a suggestion, I would think about the story you want to tell first, then use that to determine what kind of narrator would be the most interesting.

4 Likes

dwarven mead brewer. inspiring, how should i spice a mead to make it more dark-sun-ish?

2 Likes

Sure, researching mead should be a short endeavor… oh wait. That’s a DEEP rabbit hole!

3 Likes

Maybe we could try with some fresh figgs or dates? A bit of ginger and a few limes to make it lighter

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Workin’ on Athasian mead right now!

3 Likes

Im curious about your recipe, is it more of a metheglin or a melomel?. What yeast are you using?
Let me hear how it turns out.

2 Likes

Well, I knew nothing about mead when you asked the question. So I have been trying some research. I am more learned now than I was. However, I don’t know about yeasts or metheglin or melomel yet.

Here’s a question? What is the difference between a cheap mead (in preparation) and a really fine one?

3 Likes

Thought it sounded like you already had something bubbling :slight_smile:

A metheglin is a spiced mead (will often use cinnamon, hops, elderberryflower, mugwort, liquorice, chamomile), while a melomel is brewed on both honey and fruitsugars (have used elderberries, blackcurrant, applejuice and lime). A cheap mead will be brewed with a combination of honey and cheaper sugars, often brewed with little to no cooling and have not been aged for very long.
While a better mead you will use up to 500g of honey per 1L of mead, fermented at no more then 20C/68F and it will have been aged longer, personal preference is about 3 years. Using a better yeast always gives a better result, try a cider-, burgundy red wine- or a neutral yeast used for vodka distillation.

3 Likes

Arrrrg. A smart person. My brain hurts!

Seriously though, this is very helpful. I was trying to teach myself about mead from the ground up. Turned out to be quite a project, especially when trying to localize it to Athas. I might have to send rough drafts of the comic for peer review!

2 Likes

Your more then welcome. Us brewers are a strange folk, always willing to teach - better chance of getting invited to a drink of good ale or mead.

2 Likes

I am past the preamble. Time to get serious about the mead making part.

2 Likes