Athas.org's original charter: 3.x development

No worries, lots of people forget. Or was a good illustration, and I did understand your intent.

There are actually no official ways to break a bone of a living character in D&D 3rd ed. Strange but true. And only one way to behead them.

1 Like

Good 'ol vorpalā€¦ So long as it isnā€™t a giant tanarā€™ri with bat wings and a mouth in its belly that is apparently made out of the stuff.

Honestly, there is a ā€œcalled shotā€ rule somewhere that allows for amputating body parts, I think. Iā€™d rule attacks to break bones as sunder attempts against targets in medium, light, or no armor.

Book of Vile Darkness has some rules regarding ā€œcripplingā€ people, too, if I recall, so that might apply.

1 Like

Far as I can recall (and search) the are no called shot rules in 3.5.

Iā€™ll put a pin in that and go hunting for it, then. Attacking specific body parts is possible, Iā€™m sure of it. I just havenā€™t DMā€™d a 3.5 game inā€¦ yearsā€¦ and am rusty with the information. Iā€™ve been looking for a stat line on Obsidian Orbs for 2 daysā€™ worth of free time now and still canā€™t find much of anything.

You bet!

Do let me know if you find either!.

Well, the material on site has the Orbs of Kalid Ma, but those are special and not the basic ones I am looking for. Same for the Dark Lens. Iā€™m guessing theyā€™re some manner of wondrous items, and theyā€™re mentioned, but I just have had no luck in digging up anything on them.

Iā€™m about ready to go pull out the E&R box and see if theyā€™re in there.

Ah. Called Shots are an old thing that apparently have lots of different methods of application in 3.5, but WotC never released anything official for 3.5 on them. I saw a couple references to Pathfinder maybe having concrete rules. It looks like it might date back to AD&D, at a glance. That would make sense, as I recall using them back in the day, as well as the paper doll armor rule variant always hand in hand with Dark Sun.

In Dark Sun and Planescapes, the only settings Iā€™ll run in 3.5 anymore, I use an older rule variant of the ā€œPaper Doll Armorā€ to represent how PCs and NPCs often have piecemeal, ragtag gear rather than whole armor suits, and gives hits the extra step of allocating to a region of the body, with the armor on that body part (if any) getting some damage/saves vs damage. This makes accommodating called shots a little easier than in unmodified rules since the attack is going to land on a specific place anyway.

1 Like

Hi BWBS, re: obisidan orbs, thereā€™s a couple of paragraphs in the DSE1 Dragonā€™s Crown side treks at the back:
ā€œWhile the drake has no magical treasure, the obsidian dragonĀ’s orb
it recently acquired aids in the manufacture of magical items. Until the
orb is subjected to a remove curse, however, it will be difficult to transport.
Currently the orb weighs 2,000 pounds. About 4 inches in diameter (and
thus perfect for setting in a staff), the obsidian dragonĀ’s orb allows
the creation of a magical item with unlimited charges. The orb powers the
magical item by drawing the life force from all living creatures in the same
area as a 9th-level defiler spell would affect. Those within this area suffer
1d6 points of damage per level of the spell being cast by the magical item.ā€
Welcome to Ktandeoā€™s Cane! :wink:

3 Likes

Perfect! Thank you so very much.

Ah yes, the piecemeal armor rules. I recall those.

1 Like

Still looking for Flipā€¦

Weā€™re all looking for Flip! :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s up? @Nijneko and @Grummore?

Well. The subject of the thread is : ā€œ3.x developmentā€. :smiley:

Where are we at? If anything happen at all.

1 Like

Iā€™ve suggested a wiki or other format where we can semi-open source the work among ourselves.

2 Likes

I would be willing to take up responsibilities on the Council if it would help in any way, so long as we can still operate under said charter. I would need to know the details in order to make the call.

I submitted revision 8 of the main rule book to Flip, but havenā€™t received any final feedback thereon. He has been very busy based on the communications I did receive. That is primarily what Iā€™ve been waiting on, because I have a personal preference to actually see my work have an effect (go live) before I commit more resources.

I also have a preference for only working on this site, because only here are works produced considered official material, and only here is such work explicitly permitted and protected by said charter. Plus, Iā€™d like to produce stuff that is considered official, when all is said and done.

So I will start to politely pester Flip on a regular basis, startingā€¦ now. (Email sent)

3 Likes

Good to see your response, @raddu!

What additional details can I provide? =D

1 Like

Send me a personal message with a link to your revision so I can review it, if you donā€™t mind.

There is no link, I directly modified a copy of the master doc files, and turned them over to Flip. It was basically a giant spelling and grammar check, with some notes about discovered inconsistencies and oddities I noticed along the way.

1 Like

Come on! Release something! Iā€™m about to continue my campaign. You know, when you start checking youā€™re notes and such :slight_smile:

1 Like