Athasian Adventure Handbook

I’m still currently running a Dark Sun 5E Campaign inclusive “phb-friendly” started since the first D&D Next playtest, I will post the stuff I build during those 3 years here for people to use or comment.

Cool. What can we look forward to?

Well Matthew, I still need to compile my notes but I see the table of contents as a document of “missing dark sun notes” from the 5E phb and then a small DM section:
Races (adding Mul & Thri-Kreen; excluding Gnome & Half-Orc, refluffing the others)
Classes: How to make them all work
Backgrounds
Equipments
Spellcasting: Defiling Rules & Psionic Enchantment Rituals (with Advanced Being Metamorphosis spells)
Wild Talent Table
Monsters & NPCs: Easy 2E to 5E conversion, some example
Artefacts: Psychometron of Nerad, The Silencer of Bodach

Note: Everytime, my ultimate goal is to tone 5E phb to Dark Sun, but keep a maximum of 5E available to the player.

RACES

Unavailable: Elf (dark), Gnome (all), Half-Orc.

PHB
Note: you simply have to rename some subrace names.

Dwarf: Urban (hill), Slave (mountain)
Elf: City (high), Desert (wood)
Halfling: Scout (lightfoot), Hunter (stout)
Human
Half-Elf
Tiefling

Elemental Evil Player’s Companion
Aarakocra
Genasi
Goliath (aka Half-Giant)

Athasian - Will have a write-up each
Dray (aka Dragonborn): Kragmortan, Giustenal
Mul
Thri-Kreen

Elven Run
Dwarven Focus

Athasian Race: Mul

All mul are sterile, with pointy ears and no hair. They are usually bald.
Mul Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and both your Strength & Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Mul mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood around age 16, and like their human parentage, live less than a century.
Alignment. Mul tend toward lawful alignment inherited from their dwarven parentage.
Size. Mul are somewhat larger and bulkier than humans, and they range from barely 6 feet tall to well over it. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Athletic Build. You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill as mul are breed for tedious manual labor.
Mul Vitality. Add one to each Hit Die you roll to regain hit points.
Tireless. You only need to sleep 8 hours in a 72-hour period (instead of a 24-hour period) to gain the benefit of a long rest.
Incredible Toughness. While under a condition, you can automatically succeed on the next saving throw. You can only use this feature again after a short or long rest.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish.

Athasian Race: Thri-Kreen

These desert-dwelling creatures live live for the thrill of the hunt.
Thri-Kreen Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Thri-kreen mature quickly, reaching adulthood around age 3, and rarely reach up to 30 years of age.
Alignment. Thri-kreen tend toward chaotic neutral alignment.
Size. They range from barely 6 feet tall to well over it. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Multiple Arms. You can draw and sheathe a weapon (or retrieve or stow an item stored on your person) as a bonus action instead of an action.
Natural Hunter. You gain proficiency in the Survival skill and with the Gythka and Chatkcha thri-kreen weapons.
Standing Leap. Your long and high jumps are always consider to have a running start.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 fet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Sleepless. Rather than sleep, thri-kreen enter a torpid state, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Claws. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Thri-Kreen.

Optional Feat

Thri-Kreen Psionics
Prerequisite: Thri-Kreen
You have inherited the innate psionic ability of your ancestors. This ability allows you to cast an invisible mage hand at will and you gain telepathy within 60 feet. You can also cast blur and magic weapon spells twice each with this ability. The invisible (self) spell is also available but only once. You regain the ability to cast these spells when you finish a long rest.

Athasian Race: Dragonborn

Dragonborn Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2.
Age. As phb.
Alignment. Dragonborn tend toward any neutral alignment.
Size. Well over it 6 feet tall and avering 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.
Subrace. Many subraces of dragonborn exist.
Choose one of these subraces:

Pterran
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Talon. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 slashing damage on a hit.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to poison damage.

Ssurran
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Natural Trader. You gain proficiency in both the persuasion and diplomacy skills.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.

Dray, Kragmorta
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Natural Armor. You add 1 to your armor class as your scale are tougher.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.

Dray, New Giustenal
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Knack for Magic. Choose 1 cantrip from the Wizard spell list. Your Intelligence is your spellcasting ability.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to necrotic damage.

Here is my attempt at converting and creating the Athasian races to 5th edition. I hope everyone likes it :smile:
Exiled_Architect’s Athasian Races

1 Like

the file appears to be in your trash. Did you mean to do that?

Hey sorry about that. I had linked an old document by accident. The link has been updated and takes you to a Google Doc folder that has the majority of the races outlined now. They offer variant abilities for the reflavored races and an entire outline for completely new conversions. I believe the only ones that I have not finished yet are the Dray and the Maenads. They will be detailed within the following week. I hope you guys enjoy and once again my apologies. :smiley:

1 Like

Ok so the Dray and Maenad has been finished. I have not placed any of the fluff and backstory/description in with any of the races. The majority of these racial conversions have been made keeping Unearthed Arcana: Awakened Mystic in mind so they are only suggestions for anyone who wishes to use them in your campaign. Keeping with the original Dark Sun Dray, neither Kragmorta, nor Giustenal, had breath weapons so I did revamp them instead of just using the Dragonborn Template. As for the Maenads (which I know are not an official Dark Sun Race but like the idea of what some of Paizo had instituted metaplot-wise) have the Thunderous Scream (a reflavored Mind Thrust talent) and Outburst as well. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle the Outburst ability beyond what I have already written please let me know. These are simply mechanic conversions to 5e. Any feedback would be nice if you have any suggestions.