Athasian Lion by Kalthandrix

originally posted by kalthandrix

Here is my vision of an Athasian lion using the Athasian creature template I made. I think that this beast would fit in well on Athas. I took the format and original stats directly from the SRD and then applied the template (see sig for that).Let me know what you think!

ATHASIAN LION
Large Animal (Augmented Animal, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +6 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+14
Attack: Claw +9 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d6+7) and bite +4 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, improved grab, rake 1d6+3, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, naturally psionic
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +2
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +8, Hide +4*, Listen +5, Move Silently +12, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Run, Improved Natural Weapon (claw)B
Environment: Scrub plains or stony barrens
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pride (6–10)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 6–8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +2

An Athasian lion is a creature of terrible fury and majestic beauty. It has a body that ranges from 5 to 8 feet long and weighs 380 to 600 pounds. Their hide is covered with very fine scales that are about 2 to 3 inches in length and have a sulfuric-yellow coloring. The Athasian lion’s head is wreathed with a long black mane, and its tail is tipped with the same wiry hair. The large beast’s yellow eyes posses an intelligence and cunning not found in most animals
Females are slightly smaller and do not have manes, but use the same statistics.

Combat
Pounce (Ex): If an Athasian lion charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an Athasian lion must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +9 melee, damage 1d6+3.

Psi-like Abilities (Sp): The following abilities are all manifested as a 5th level manifester; 3/day each offensive precognition (+3 insight bonus), thought shield (PR 15 for 3 rounds), wild leap (ds)(+10 to jump check), and 1/day force screen (+5 shield bonus to AC).

Naturally Psionic: An Athasian lion has 1 bonus power point

Skills: Athasian lions have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, and Move Silently checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +13.

originally posted by Kamelion

It’s looking good, Kalthandrix - the template is coming together nicely (I wanted to see it in actual use before commenting). Regarding the creature’s type, the template pretty much requires it to become Magical Beast, as it gives the creature an Int bonus - no animal can have Int above 2. Other than that point, ToA does have animals (such as the Athasian Bear, the Critic or the Erdland) that possess psionic powers, so if you kept the Int at 1 or 2, you would not be required to change it to a Magical Beast if you make it psionic - it could stay as Animal (psionic). If you do keep the Int bonus, the correct designation is Magical Beast (Augmented Animal, Psionic). (Note that, at present, your stat block says “Magical Creature”, not “Beast”).

You should note the bonus feat in the stat block with a (B) after the name, and change the associated stats to match the Magical Beast type. Also, it looks like the skill points are one point short - I might be missing something there, though (it’s getting late here :wink: )

Large Magical Beast (Augmented Animal, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 5d10+15 (42hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Dex, -1 size, +6 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+16
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+7) and bite +6 melee (1d8+3)
Face/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, improved grab, rake 1d6+3, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, naturally psionic
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 19, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +8, Hide +4*, Listen +5, Move Silently +12, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Run, Improved Natural Weapon (claw)(B)
etc etc…

Keep at it - it’s looking pretty solid .