Athasian Musical Instruments

Hello All,

First ever post on these forums, though I have been following, enjoying and taking inspiration from them for several years. I use Athas in an unconventional, definitely non-canon setting (a futuristic magic / psionic / superhero setting, for which I apologise in advance…). The players are about to return to Athas, aiming in at least two cases to go disguised as Minstrels / Bards. And I realised that I had not given any thought to Athasian musical instruments… harp / lyre, drums, lute / guitar / mandolin, flute / pipes / whistle all seem reasonable and likely… but are there any examples of specifically Athasian instruments?

4 Likes

Hello and welcome!

Off the top of my head, here are some ideas for you:

Turtle(flailer in Athas) shell guitar or lyre

Cha’thrang shell ocarina

Bone harp

Slimahacc horn didjeridu (the giant red snake in the photo)

Glass or crystal flutes

4 Likes

Also, considering how many of Athas bards are assassins, maybe try and give the instrument some weapon-like function such as a flute that doubles as a blow gun

2 Likes

Thank you! The double use is obvious - but ofc I had not thought of it!

4 Likes

Of course there is always the Bobby McFerrin approach your bard could take.

1 Like

They chose minstrels as one already plays the mandolin / sings and the other plays the guitar…Mandolin I thought would be acceptable and I thought Lute for guitar. It just got me thinking and there were no posts on musical instruments on the forum… And now there are… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Did you or anyone else see the movie Zatoichi?

He met some travelling geisha musicians who had a knife hidden in their stringed instrument.

It would be fun to gather examples of hidden weapons in acoustic instruments.

2 Likes

I have a few, though most would need some athasian adjustments because they have too much metal in them, pun intended.

2 Likes

I can imagin this as a “petrified” crystal spider that can be animated on command
this already looks halfway between guitar and an axe

the bow of this violin could hide a katana like blade inside

and this is just some cool sneaky weapon

3 Likes

I was in awe of this forum before I posted my question. More so now… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No ghatam?

3 Likes

Well, looks like we better ghatam while we can. :wink:

2 Likes

Personally I like the idea of a desert giant blowing into the husk of jeral’s decapitated protothorx like a flute, using his fingers to cover the breathing holes to change notes.

2 Likes

The second player, proficient in guitar, went for a lute, which while sensible was a bit traditional. They did go though a merchant they had done business with before to get one that fires a small dart from the neck. I doubt they will ever use it, but you never know. The dart is too small to kill, being designed to ‘imitate’ an insect bite, so you need to load it up with a poison or paralytic that requires small doses to be effective…

I had always though of music on Athas as being either singular - solo minstrels - or of the martial type - horns and drums to announce the progress of Dragon Kings (and their armies). But I was tickled by the idea of a band of Giants (or indeed anything else) playing in a group / ensemble mode. Something to consider for adding a bit of background colour to the trip…