BSO Ep21 Thri-Kreen of Athas

New BSO is out! In Ep21 we talk to Tim Beach about Thri-Kreen of Athas!
https://cast.athas.org/podcasts/bso/episodes/4d7637f6-3278-41ff-ad42-42d363363b1d
EDIT: New link

5 Likes

Just finished listening! Loved it. Got my questions answered.

Thanks for doing these!

2 Likes

I appreciate that Tim Beach actually remembers what he was thinking at the time.

4 Likes

That’s a rare quality indeed. Well looking forward to listening to this now!

3 Likes

Yeah. I feel like he had the best working memory of his writing from 25 years ago.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to listen to this! Thanks for sharing!

I really liked it! And I specially loved two concepts he shared:

1. Zik-chil are a product of rhulisti nature-benders and they learned from them life-shaping techniques, which they used after on the other Kreen.

2. The Great One was some kind of “biological mutated avangion” created with zik-chil intervention.

I already thought that avangions look similar to what one can think were the original Kreen: thinner and winged. So I would theorize that avangions are some kind of “evolutionary Kreen goal”, which was unlocked by force by the zik-chil.

The avangion companion would have developed the avangion metamorphosis spell based on his friend. Or maybe it wasn’t a spell and was achieved in another way. In any case, maybe he wasn’t as malleable as the zik-chil thought and he pursued his own goals, trying to unite humans and kreens. Then, the Kreen Emperors (Haazi, or "Leaders of Change) can be a new, more cautious attempt to obtain a controllable avangion by the zik-chil.

Why? Maybe, as Tim Beach suggested, they need it to prevent a greater horror to be unleashed. However this would be a very similar plot to the Dragon/Rajaat one.

2 Likes

The new horror could be something as simple as a mess of Earth Drakes or something simple.

1 Like

Thank you for the shout out for our Dead Lands work group!

BTW may I have an invite to the Dark Sun Discord please?

3 Likes

Oh, send the Discord too, please!

1 Like

Here’s the Dark Sun discord link:

2 Likes

The podcast link seems to be broken. Any way to listen to this episode again?

1 Like

This one works: Cast

2 Likes