Crimson Legionnaire Prestige Class 3.5

Originally posted by kalthandrix:

Final Version

[quote]Crimson Legionnaire

For Tyr and Freedom!
-War cry of the Crimson Legion.

After the destruction of the original Crimson Legion that marched against Urik, Tyr has had not standing army to defend it or the city-state’s boarders. Fearing that another war would find Tyr unprotected, a group of veterans from the original Legion petitioned the Council to allow for a reformation of the Crimson Legion, under the Councils supervision, in order to protect the Free City. Since then, the Crimson Legion has gained in numbers and skill and now stands ready to defend Tyr with the lives of all those who make up their ranks.

Crimson legionnaires may come from any race; with human, half-elves, muls, and dwarves making up the larger part of its ranks. Of the thousands that made up the original Crimson Legion, only a few hundred survived its destruction, and it is those veterans, composed of barbarians, fighters, gladiators, and psychic warriors, that form most of the crimson legionnaire’s ranks. Other warriors besides veterans are accepted within the crimson legionnaires. In the intervening years since the Crimson Legion re-forming, there has been a large increase in the legionnaire ranks as Tyrians step forward to ensure their continued freedom. To become a crimson legionnaire, these warriors must prove themselves through physical trials and tests of the heart; those that are accepted are taught by the veterans the hard-learned lessons of the lost war.

In exercise patrols along the city-state’s borders, or while on protection details for the city’s pauper farms and noble estates, the Crimson Legion is ever active protecting the city’s interests, with the crimson legionnaires at its core. Fore they are the elite core of the Legion, forming the strong center in every line or the tip of the spear as they charge the enemy.

Hit Dice: d10

Requirements:
To qualify to become a crimson legionnaire, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Knowledge (warfare) 2 ranks, Survival 3 ranks
Feats: Freedom
Special: Must be a Tyrian citizen. The crimson legionnaire must have been part of the original Crimson Legion or they need to have been taught by one.

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (warfare), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis). Skill points at each level: 2+ Int modifier

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the crimson legionnaire prestige class.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A crimson legionnaire gains proficiency in all simple and martial weapons and with all armor and shields.

Service: As part of the Crimson Legion, there are certain benefits and duties to fulfill. As long as you serve, you have room and board in the cities barracks and are provided with your war kit, which consists of a set of chitin armor, heavy wood shield, obsidian-tipped short spear, and bone short sword. Food and drink are also provided in the Legions mess halls. Crimson legionnaires are paid 5 bits per day per class level.
It is required of the crimson legionnaires to take part in any guard duty, missions, maneuvers, or wars that your superiors tell you to take part in (details of service are left up to the DM).
In order to advance within this class, the crimson legionnaire must be part of Tyr’s Crimson Legion. Service in the Legion can be terminated, which does not cause the crimson legionnaire to lose any of their class features, but they cannot gain anymore level within this class unless they join the Crimson Legion again.

Freedom’s Defense (Ex): As a veteran defender of Tyr’s freedom, the crimson legionnaire can mobilize a greater surge of heroism than most. At 1st level the crimson legionnaire gains another use per day of the Freedom feat.

Bonus Feat: The training within the Crimson Legion is very good, utilizing the knowledge of its members to forge a strong cohesive unit. At 2nd and 4thlevel a crimson legionnaire gains a bonus feat that may be selected from the following as long as they meet the prerequisites: Concentrated Fire, Endurance, Diehard, Protective, Rotate Lines, Spear Wall. He must still meet the requirements for any feat selected.

Brother’s In Arms (Ex): The crimson legionnaires usually find themselves in the heart of the battle, securing their fighting line as their enemies try to penetrate their defenses. Individually they would fall to a greater force, but by working together they are much stronger. At 3rd level, a crimson legionnaire gains the Companion feat as a bonus feat.

Legion’s Bond (Ex): By 5th level the crimson legionnaire’s close bond with his fellow soldiers translates into a greater facility while fighting in groups. The crimson legionnaire can make use of the Aid Another action in melee combat as a swift action, as long as he is aiding a fellow soldier or friend of the Free City.

LevelBABFortReflexWillSpecial<br />1+1+2+0+0Service, Freedom’s Defense<br />2+2+3+0+0Bonus Feat<br />3+3+3+1+1Brother’s In Arms<br />4+4+4+1+1Bonus Feat<br />5+5+4+1+1Legion’s Bond
[/quote]

Originally posted by Sysane:

I like the concept, but a feat every level is pretty sick even for a 3 level PrC.

I’d suggest limiting it to 2 feats and maybe granting a PrC ability at the level a feat wasn’t gained.

Thats my two bits. :wink:

[quote]I like the concept, but a feat every level is pretty sick even for a 3 level PrC.

I’d suggest limiting it to 2 feats and maybe granting a PrC ability at the level a feat wasn’t gained.

Thats my two bits. ;)[/quote]
Thanks Sysane- I always enjoy your comments, unless they are mean and then I do not :smiley: (Next stop, Crazyville!!)

I thought of doing an ability, but did not want to add any magical or psionic influences in it.

As for a feat a each level- as you can see, the choice of bonus feats that can be selected are very restricted. If I went to a five level class, the feats would be gained on 1st, 3rd, and 5th- but I did not want to go that way because I see this class as a short side trip in the character progression.

Originally posted by ruhl-than_sage:

I agree with the way that you did things, though I can see Sysanes point. I think in this case because of the extremely limited feat selection and the fact the the feats on the list aren’t prerequisites for other more powerful feat that its OK to give on at each level. :smiley:

Man there are so many good PrCs being made right now, its CRAZY

Originally posted by Pennarin:

[quote]Freedom is not free, you must fight for it and earn it, or some tyrant will just come and put you in a slave pen.
-Kandler, Caption of the Crimson Legion.[/quote]
Caption?

Why not redesign the PrC a bit:

Since the Crimson Legionnaires at the core of the new army (those who actually take levels in this PrC) are from the old legion, you could have as a prerequisite a gladiator class ability.
Further, give not feats but class abilities that make Gladiator or Arena Champion or Pit Fighter class abilities work in a battlefield situation, contrarily to working mostly in a arena context with a crowd. That way, the abilities of said classes that are worthless in battlefield situations can now be useful, and it would match the PrC fluff perfectly.

If not, then you could build upons said class abilities, creating new related abilities that are specifically designed for battlefield situations.

Ok, I checked up on the Gladiator and Arena Champion: except for the latter’s Crowd Support class feature, no abilities are specifically related to arenas or crowds of non-combatants. So lets drop that.

I would imagine that such veterans of the old Legion would be capable of working together quite well and fight with the will of those that have tasted freedom…

So I suggest an ability that allows Crimson Legionnaires to work better together, such as …

• adding 2 to the Aid Another bonus when used to help a friendly soldier attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent
  • or allowing the legionnaire to Aid Another during combat as a free action, once per round (it will cost a standard action to opponents who attempt this).

And an ability related to what freedom brings to them as warriors, and that soldiers of other cities’ armies don’t have:

• if you take the Freedom feat from DS3 as a prerequisite, you can have an ability that brings to 2 the number of times per day you can use that feat’s abilities, as long as the extra use is made in the defense of Tyr.

Btw you fixed Caption with Captian…I think you meant to write Captain?

[quote]AID ANOTHER
In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you’re in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways, such as when he is affected by a spell, or to assist another character’s skill check.[/quote]

Originally posted by elonarc:

Headline of the Tyr News:
“Foul Play Uncovered!!! Crimson Legion serves sinister purpose!!!”

Originally posted by zombiegleemax:

Very nice (I’ve been waiting for this one)! I’d probably give them a good Will save though, and give them something like this instead of a bonus feat at 1st level,

or this instead of a bonus feat at 3rd level.

But not both. In any case, what can I say but

[quote]

Headline of the Tyr News:
“Foul Play Uncovered!!! Crimson Legion serves sinister purpose!!!”[/quote]
Whoops :smiley: ! I guess that is what I get for copying and pasting the basic format that I use from on PrC to another.

I like a lot of the suggestions that you guys are making, but they are really simular to the bonus feats that are offered as part of the PrC.

I will make another feat, like freedom but an improved or greater version that will allow them to use their freedom ability more.

There’s no point to creating unique feats for a PrC, feats that no one else but the member of that class will take.

If you want to create a “Greater Freedom” feat, and have it as an automatic bonus feat for the Crimson Legionnaire, well all you end up doing is making the legionnaire’s class ability nothing more than what any other guy with a feat to spare can have.
But, if you don’t create such a feat but instead craft a class ability that, basically, does the same thing as a “Greater Freedom” feat, then its all right because only the legionnaire ends up having that ability.

I have decided to keep this PrC in its present form- I believe that it is a good, strong PrC that has great potential for some good roleplaying, and at the same time it is not overpowered.

One of the important things to remember about this PrC is that the character is part of the army of Tyr- which could limit travel and several other aspects of regular “adventuring”.

It could also provide some great opportunities to add some mass combat to your game, or allow a Fighter/Crimson Legionnaire the chance to organize the defense of a village or camp.

Use it as you will, but I hope you like it.

Originally posted by jon_oracle_of_athas:

Regardless of feat reportoire, a feat at every level is too much.

What is your rational?

Comparisons for Balance:
The Ranger base class gets three feats in succession one of which even offers a choice between two different feats, and on top of that two other special abilities that are equivilent in power to feats.

The Monk base class gets a bonus feat at 1st level, a feat choosen for them (Unarmed Strike), and another special ability (flurry of blows). Then at second level they get another bonus feat plus evasion. Then another special ability at the next level. Thats a total of 5 feat equivilent abilities, plus another lesser ability.

There are only 8 feats on the list that can be chosen as bonus feats. The PrC only gives you three of them in 3 levels. If the class were setup like either of the ones mentioned above you would effectively end up with 5 of the feats but with less choice on the order they are obtained in and would be restricted to the following total possibilities:

Ranger: 6 different feat-equivilent possible, 5 aquired

Monk: 7 different feat-equivilent possible, 5 aquired+1 lesser ability

Crimson Legionnaire: 8 different feats possible, 3 aquired

Plus, like I said before, these feats don’t build up to more powerful feats. Some of the feats/feat-equivilent abilities gained by the Ranger and Monk do.

So, in conclusion I totally fail to see how this could be construed as too many abilities gained for three levels. Just because there is no exsisting PrC that uses this format does not make it imbalanced. If anything its a little underpowered in trade for a little more choice.

Please, don’t have me executed for my defiance

Even if rule-wise this were ok, it should be avoided because, well, and this is not a rule, but such a prestige class lacks in flavor: it has no class abilities, only bonus feats.

The only other class like that that I know has been published by WotC is the Sword of Righteousness in the BoED. A 3 level PrC that gives at each level a bonus exalted feat taken from a master list that has in it three pre-determined exalted feats and one exalted feat of your choice. The authors even say in clear terms that the class is only a way for combat-oriented characters to get more exalted feats (something that’s tough for them to do).

You must compare the class to a Fighter, which has the same HD, saves and skills per level. A Fighter gets a bonus feat every other level, this class gets a feat every level. There’s your rationale. Also, your class is missing a key component in its abilities - flavor. This is a very general class that could have had just about any name and describing text.

Fighters can choose from a huge list of feats that include many many feats that build up into more powerful ones, plus they can choose fighter exclusive feats. Those things have to count for something. Plus, though similar, the Fighter is probably the weakest of the base classes if a comparison were to be made.

The selection of feats allowed restricts it to a Professional Soldier style Class, and the Feat prerequisite to a Tyrian one. The special prerequisite narrows it down the rest of the way specifically.

Incidentally it’s Kalthandrix’s class. I was merely defending it as balanced, and viable from that stand point, from what I still see as unfounded attacks. I’m not going to argue about its flavor, it is pretty generic, you have a point there.

I could go on in more detail about the class comparisons if you like :smiley:

To quote Nyt: “Aroo?”

Jon and me have not made attacks. Reading Jon’s posts again I see he’s telling Sage the how and why of PrC making, something he’s had plenty of experience with.

And me, I said the class lacks in flavor due to the absence of class abilities.

Where is the attack in that I ask you?

Yes, a Fighter obviously allows for more customization, but in my experience a narrow selection of feats does not warrant a faster feat progression than a Fighter - especially when the feats are potent, such as in this case where you can take Endurance and Diehard in just two levels - then drop out of the class after two levels if you don’t want one of the other feats. This class also has the benefit of not counting against the number of classes you have for purposes of determining xp penalties - for non-Fighter Tyrian characters who want just one of the feats on the list, as opposed to taking a level of Fighter. To summarize, a narrow feat selection is not a balancing factor if the feats are feats a character would want to take anyway.

[quote]To quote Nyt: “Aroo?”

Jon and me have not made attacks. Reading Jon’s posts again I see he’s telling Sage the how and why of PrC making, something he’s had plenty of experience with.

And me, I said the class lacks in flavor due to the absence of class abilities.

Where is the attack in that I ask you?[/quote]
I wasn’t trying to imply that you or him were attacking me. I don’t think that at all. Like I said: I was defending the game balance of the PrC. I don’t think it can be questioned that he was attacking that :stuck_out_tongue: . His telling me the how and why of PrC making is not mutually exclusive with attacking the PrC’s balance.

I can see your argument there, except I think that the special requirement kind of prevents that sort of abuse. You have to actually become a part of the Crimson Legion to get the class, you can’t just pick it up on a whim. That is unless your DM doesn’t care about story. I wouldn’t join a military organization just to gain one feat, and if your characters do that sort of stuff then they’re obviously much more concerned with roll-playing then role-playing. Besides these feats wouldn’t benefit non-fighting types very much.

As for your summary, the same thing could be applied to a fixed feat selection if those were the ones you wanted, and there are plenty of class/PrC that will give you one of those every level (or the equivilent), sometimes more than one. So I don’t buy that at all, I think it is a blancing factor a very important one in fact. Maybe not just as a narrow selection, but dependant on what is available in that narrow selection.

You can’t tell me that if the list included these 8 feats instead of the ones it does that it wouldn’t be much more powerful:

Power Attack, Dodge, Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Cleave, Improved Trip

So these things matter to issues of balance I think.

So you don’t get the wrong idea, this discussion is merely academic for me. I really have no vested interest in whether it gets changed or not. In fact at this point I would rather see the class changed. Despite the fact that I don’t see any issues of imbalance in the class, I do agree that It lacks flavor. And I think the more important problem with allowing a PrC that has this setup is setting a bad precident. Though this one in particular seems perfectly balanced to me, I don’t think that others with this format would be likely to be balanced. In general it does seem like something to be avoided.

Kalthandrix, can we talk using instant messaging? Next time you see me online please try and contact me. Thanks.

You must assume that power gaming will happen and joining an army isn’t that hard - they’re always looking for volunteers.

[quote]You can’t tell me that if the list included these 8 feats instead of the ones it does that it wouldn’t be much more powerful:
Power Attack, Dodge, Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Cleave, Improved Trip[/quote]
How does this contradict what I said? That feat selection makes the class more broken, yes. Doesn’t mean the existing feat selection isn’t broken already.

All of the material I made will be reposted after it has been revised.

Guess I woke up on the wrong side of yesterday and was in a pissy mood- Sorry.

Revised the orginal Crimson Legionnaire to make it a 5 lvl PrC to spead out the bonus feat progression and added some special features to give the PrC more flavor- Thanks Meth, Nytcrawler, and Pennarin for the feedback.

I would really like any feedback from the board- I promise not to flipout this time. :smiley:

Made a few additional changes- namely removing two feats from the bonus feat list and changing the aquisition of the bonus feats to 2nd and 4th level. There is a new ability called hold the line that basically gives the CL the campanion feat for free- I thought that this would flow with the other abilities that they get.

I’m sorry, did I say something wrong. I don’t think you need to apolgize for anything, all you said was —. I guess I got a little caught up in trying to win a pointless argument with Jon.

It looks good , Though there us already a feat called Hold the Line in the Complete Warrior.

Glad to see you’re open for feedback again!

I have some more feedback, and this time I’ll to explain myself better, something I’m not good at…

For the introductory paragraphs:
The CL is described as a veteran of war, great fluff. In fact, so good an idea I feel it should be implemented in the rules.
There are numerous such references in the latest books, I’m thinking of Complete Arcane and the Suel Arcanamach: that PrC need to learn from some ancient source of knowledge, either an arcane volume, or from someone who read the volume.

In the same way, the core of the CL can trully be veterans form the Tyr-Urik war. The newest CLs need not be, they only need to learn from those veterans. As such, the class abilities can now be those of long-time veterans, even if the character is not a veteran but a newbie.

The following can be added to the Special section:
Special:
Must have Tyrian citizenship. Must be a veteran of the first Crimson Legion, or be taught by one.

With that, the introductory paragraphs’ exposition can be modified to better reflect this. Again, this is the kind of stuff found in the introductory paragraphs of recent PrCs:

Crimson legionnaires come from all races, with human, half-elves, muls, and dwarves making up the larger part. The few hundreds of warriors that survived the destruction of the old Crimson Legion form most of the new Legion’s ranks, mostly composed of barbarians, fighters, gladiators, and psychic warriors. Other warriors besides veterans are accepted within the crimson legionnaires’ ranks, proving themselves through physical trials and tests of the heart; those that are accepted are taught by the veterans the hard-learned lessons of a lost war. Ever since the new legion’s creation, there has been a large increase in the legionnaire ranks as Tyrians step forward to insure their continued freedom.

Now, on another note, I think the first paragraph might need some work done on it, make it clearer and more detailed. Here is one possible way of doing it, I’m sure others can do the same or better:

After the destruction of the old Crimson Legion in its march against Urik, survivors slowly marched back to Tyr. Ever since that defeat these veterans have worried at the lack of a standing Tyrian army to protect the city-state’s borders, until a group of them came together and petitioned the Council to allow for the reformation of the Legion, under the Council’s supervision, as a force to protect the Free City. Over the intervening years the new Crimson Legion has gained in numbers and skill and now stands ready to protect Tyr with the lives of its soldiers. The crimson legionnaires are the elite core of this new Legion, composed of the veterans of the old Legion, making up the strong center in every line of defense or leading the charge towards the enemy.

For the class features:

No need to mention the types of armor gained. If its not mentionned its that you gain them all. Did you wanted to include shields as well?

I’d write this for the equipment proficiencies:
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Crimson legionnaires gain proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, and with all armors and shields.

For the bonus feats, I suggest using the Appendix I’s way of writing down stuff, mainly to put the “must meet the prerequisites” after the list has been written. Also, you may, optionally, mention the source of the feats before writting the PrC. So way up, in the first lines of your post, you can say DS3 and PHB and mention which feats come from there, that way it doesn’t appear in the PrC per say.

Source of feats in this PrC:
DS3 - Concentrated Fire, Protective, Rotate Lines, Spear Wall, Teamwork
PHB - Endurance, Diehard

That way the bonus feat ability looks like this:
Bonus Feat: At 2nd level the crimson legionnaire gains a bonus feat from the following list: Concentrated Fire, Endurance, Diehard, Protective, Rotate Lines, Spear Wall, Teamwork. He must qualify for any feat requirements.

General comments on the class:
Kalthandrix, the idea behind this PrC was so good it sparked my interest, in case you wondered why I delved in it. Other PrCs I don’t even comment on, they are uninteresting to me. Your 2 PrCs were very interesting.
The “comments” I sent you via email were ideas for you about presentation, new abilities, etc., ways I thought could improve the PrC.

This PrC is good enough to be used as part of the official setting, IMHO, and should be included in Appendix II. Last word to Jon! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]I’m sorry, did I say something wrong. I don’t think you need to apolgize for anything, all you said was —. I guess I got a little caught up in trying to win a pointless argument with Jon.

It looks good , Though there us already a feat called Hold the Line in the Complete Warrior.[/quote]
The — was originally something VERY different, but you cannot delete posts, so I modified it.

No one was to blame for me going off- I take all the responsibility for my actions.

Pennarin- I will read over everything again and will most likely make a lot of the edits you suggest.

Thanks all.

to off set the possible power gaming issue on a feat like this why not add a time requirement say a minimum of 1 or 2 years of service in the army before this type PrC can be taken this will prevent a “dipping” issue. Flavor wise not many people would want to wait on someone for a year just so they can get a new class just for a feat or two and game wise a campain or plot unfolds even if the players deside to take a vacation, a dm worth his slit isn’t going to want to have to put plots or ideas on hold for a game year just so some power gaming fool can get a couple of feats

In fact i see this more as an NPC PrC sorry Kalthandrix i like it but unless i was doing a try only game i probly wouldn’t use it because as Ruhl-Than Sage said they would be tied to the army, not to many “defensive army” personal go on missions away from home they would more likely send a psion or wizard with a coulpe of fighters or gladiators but probly not the elite forces of the army.

1. They are just a fighter… as they say a rose by any other name ( only used that one cause toamto tomato is just looks silly typed)
  2. A good general knows where his elite are best used usually not away on missions unless used to guard an extreamly important place or cargo and if IIRC the freedom feat only works when you are defending your home

just my

I Second that the version that is now posted is IMHO perfect and should be added as offical at the extream very minimun it would be excellent for generating some great npc for notable poeple in the Tryan army.

Originally posted by Sysane:

Nice job!

Here… have a chicken.

[quote]In fact i see this more as an NPC PrC sorry Kalthandrix i like it but unless i was doing a try only game i probly wouldn’t use it because as Ruhl-Than Sage said they would be tied to the army, not to many “defensive army” personal go on missions away from home they would more likely send a psion or wizard with a coulpe of fighters or gladiators but probly not the elite forces of the army.

1. They are just a fighter… as they say a rose by any other name ( only used that one cause toamto tomato is just looks silly typed)
  2. A good general knows where his elite are best used usually not away on missions unless used to guard an extreamly important place or cargo and if IIRC the freedom feat only works when you are defending your home

just my [/quote]
Special forces (ie Marine Corp Snipers, Force Recon, and Navy Seals) get sent out on special missions all of the time, to gain intel or infiltrate an enemy area. I agree that in most cases this PrC would mostly be for interesting NPC’s, but that would not preclude a PC from taking it.

Thanks all for the comments- as to whether it makes it to Appendix II, well that is Jons say.

I like it a lot better now. E-mail me the final write-up. I’ll add it to appendix 2.

[quote]I agree that in most cases this PrC would mostly be for interesting NPC’s, but that would not preclude a PC from taking it.

Yes Dark Lord! I am but your servant.

He has tasted of the power, it won’t be long now… :evillaugh

Nice naming!

This topic was automatically closed after 2 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.