Defender of the Free Prestige Class 3.5

Originally posted by kalthandrix:

Okay it is here, the Defender of the Free.

I was kind of running out of creative juices when writing the fluff text so I know it will need some revision. Also, in the requirements I have it listed that the feat requirement is iron will endurance. I did this for several reasons, 1) I though that they were both well suited for the class and could not decide on just one and 2) I did not want the feat requirement too high for a 3-lvl PrC and 3) because I said so darn it :smiley: .

Read it over and post your joy and admiration for my genius on this thread :smiley:

Oh yes, will some one PLEASE tell me how to get the papyrus font for my posts on the message board. [Disclaimer- this lack of knowledge in no way infringes upon my title of genius :smiley: ]

[quote]Defender of the Free

[i]I would rather die today, a freeman, then years from now as someone’s property!

• Bartras, leader of the Free[/i]

The Defenders of the Free are the first line of defense the Hidden Village, the secret home of the slave tribe known as the Free. Those that make up the Defenders of the Free swear a vow before the whole tribe within the Free Arena, to defend the village and it’s people with every breath and drop of blood in their bodies.

Constantly roaming the area surrounding the Hidden Village, the Defenders of the Free protect the village from discovery by slavers, wandering terrors of the desart, and agents of the sorcerer-kings. They are under orders to engage only small groups of invaders and to return to the Hidden Village to sound the alarm if the threat is too much for them to handle.

Any member of the Free may become a member of this class, though the majority of the Defenders of the Free come from the ranger and rogue classes.

Hit Dice: d8

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Defender of the Free, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Skills: Hide 5 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Survival 2 ranks
Feats: Endurance or Iron Will
Special: Must be an ex-slave that is accepted as a member of the Free.

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis). Skill points at each level: 4+ Int modifier

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Defenders of the Free prestige class.

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: A Defender of the Free gains light and medium armor proficiency along with their choice of two martial weapons.

Strength of the Free: All those who were once slaves know how precious freedom is. A Defender of the Free takes on a special duty when entering this class, for they are the first line of defense for the men, women, and children that reside in the Hidden Village. This duty is the driving force behind their constant vigilance, and as such, grants them greater reserves of strength and determination when fulfilling their duty. At 1st level, a Defender of the Free receives a +1 moral bonus to all checks when actively working to defend the Hidden Village against a known thread. This bonus applies to skill checks, attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. The bonus to damage rolls is not multiplied when the Defender of the Free confirms a critical attack.
For example, Dirk, a ranger/ defender of the free, is out on a routine patrol of the surrounding area. While out, he travels light and so forages for his food. The survival check made to do this does not gain the +1 bonus. On Dirks return trip, he stumbles a crossed a small group of gith scouts heading toward the Hidden Village. In the night while the slavers are sleeping, Dirk sneaks into their camp and slits all of their throats. When doing this, he gains the +1 bonus to his hide, move silently, and attack and damage rolls, because he is actively engages in an action that protects the Hidden Village from discovery by the gith.

Home Terrain: The Defenders of the Free constantly roam the rugged land surrounding the Hidden Village, constantly vigilant against any incursions into their homeland. Their intimate knowledge of the land and terrain within two days travel of the Hidden Village grants the Defenders of the Free a +2 insight bonus to all Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks made within that area.

Slaver’s Bane: At this level, a Defender of the Free has built up a fanatical hatred of those that would enslave others. When fighting against a slaver or slave keeper, the anger they keep bottled inside fuels their fury, allowing the Defender of the Free to swing harder and cut deeper. At 3rd level, a Defender of the Free adds a +1d6 to their melee damage rolls and increases the threat range of their weapon by one when fighting against slavers or slave keepers. The +1d6 is not multiplied when a critical hit is confirmed.

LevelBABFortReflexWillSpecial<br />1+1+2+0+2Strength of the Free<br />2+2+3+0+3Home Terrain<br />3+3+3+1+3Slaver’s Bane
[/quote]

Originally posted by brun01:

Not fair! You can’t play with my expectations like these!!!

:smiley: I promise to post it tonight.

Originally posted by zombiegleemax:

:hoppingma :headexplo

Alrighty then- the PrC is posted :smiley:

Originally posted by methvezem:

Why, since you ask so humbly, use the Papyrus font, as simple as that!:stuck_out_tongue:

It does not show up in the [Font] drop down box!

And BTW, I am humble, good-looking, dashing, brave, and good in bed if you don’t mind my saying so:D

OK, I’m happy now :smiley:

Just type in :font=papyrus:, replacing the :s with [] of course.

TMI

Originally posted by methvezem:

Double

Niiiiice! Love the Slaver’s Bane

So aside from my mad skillz of intimacy :stuck_out_tongue: , do you folks have anything you think needs correcting on the PrC?

Not a thing. Not many prcs are perfect right off the bat, but I think this one is

Originally posted by brun01:

Excelent!!!

Now my Arcane Shadows conversion just needs the epic rules.

Very good job on this one, Kalthandrix! :smiley:

Originally posted by Pennarin:

Nice!

There are language and PrC convention issues here and there, but nothing that mares the class. Good work!

[quote]Nice!

There are language and PrC convention issues here and there, but nothing that mares the class. Good work![/quote]
If you want too, I would appreciate any suggestions you have on fixing some of the writing. I know there are a few areas that need work!

Originally posted by jon_oracle_of_athas:

You forgot ‘modest’. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I am not one to really blow my own horn :stuck_out_tongue: , but if you say so then I must be.

Damn I am good! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 2 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.