Defiler Metamorphosis I and II

Cool. I like these ones much better.

1 Like

Where would you take the metamorphosis from here?

Can you clarify the question here?

I was wondering how you would progress the metamorphosis. I will start increasing immunities, size, add frightful presence, etc.

I’m not sure. I’d probably just work towards a solid baseline, like you’re doing.and then go back to the spells and modify if there’s anything critical that got missed. There’s room in these spells for more mitigating factors, increased casting time, more xp costs, preparation time, etc. as long as the foundation is good, it can be tweaked from there

1 Like

Legends of Athas says that certain metamorphoses cause animalistic rampage, but I suspect that Borys’ rampage was caused by not having a living sacrifice.

1 Like

Rise and Fall made that claim. Regardless of whether or not it’s cannon the rampage state needs a shakeup badly. Just look at the old forums arguing about how in world Dregoth managed to go up 8 stages in less than a century.

1 Like

5 levels as a DM controlled NPC is unacceptable. Rampage should always be a risk for dragons still in the process of metamorphosis, but as long as they are draining energy, they should not rampage.

1 Like

Not mention how is a raging, animalistic creature devoid of reason supposed to cast the last 5 metamorphosis spells?
That was always the flaw with 2E. 3E is better in that you have a chance to rage and its a finite duration rather than lasting through to the final stage.

2 Likes

Defiler Metamorphosis V

Transmutation (psionic enchantment)

Spellcraft DC: 77 DC
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target, effect or area: Personal
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: No

To develop: 693,000 Cp, 14 days, 27,720 XP. Seed: metamorphosis (28 DC). Factors: size alteration increase by one size category (+95 DC). Frightful presence (+70 DC). Natural Armor bonus +4 (+120 DC). Breath weapon (+60 DC). Immunity to ability drain/ability damage (+30 DC). Mitigating factors: psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Sacrifice 2000 HD of living creatures (-100 DC). 12,500,000 Cp focus structure (-125 DC). 40d6 backlash damage (-40 DC). Burn 4000 XP (-40 DC).

This spell may only be cast after the defiler metamorphosis IV spell has been cast, and you must be of dragon type. Additionally, this spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three defiler metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp (125,000 gp). This may be a new structure, but is likely this focus structure is the same structure that you used as a focus for Defiler Metamorphosis IV , as each focus structure may be used up to three times before its mystical power is spent.

This spell transforms you into the fifth stage of the Athasian dragon species. Your size increases by 1 category, gaining all the inherent features thereof. If your size increases from Large to Huge for instance would gain +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +3 Natural Armor, and -1 on attack/AC. In additional to the Natural Armor increase from your size, your skin and scales become denser, giving you an additional +4 Natural Armor bonus. You are now terrible to behold. You have the frightful presence ability. You now have a deadly breath weapon. You choose what kind of energy damage or other kind of damage your breath weapon does (see Legends of Athas for details). Finally, you develop immunity to ability drain and ability damage effects.

You are now as tall as a giant when standing upright. Now well over double original height in length from snout to growing tail, your weight continues to increase, and your dragon’s jaws protrude remarkably. The changes made at this point risks a period of uncontrolled savagery known as its animalistic rampage. Any plants and animals become a source of hatred for you, rivaling that of an undead creature’s hatred for the living, and are laid waste in your unending wrath. This savage need for destruction comes from the incredible pain that wracks your body during this stage of the metamorphosis. No longer your original race, but not quite a full dragon yet, your need to end the process nearly drives you mad.

To stave off animalistic rampage, you must drain the life of at least 200 HD of living beings each year to feed your metamorphosis. Furthermore, being reduced to less than 50% of your points immediately causes you to go into animalistic rage until you drain 2000 HD of creatures.

Example: A human defiler now stands over 16 feet when standing upright, and over 20 feet long including the tail, as well as weighing over 4000 pounds.

2 Likes

There were some issues in III and IV, which have been fixed.

Defiler Metamorphosis VI

Spellcraft DC: 77 DC

To develop: 693,000 Cp, 14 days, 27,720 XP. Seed: metamorphosis (28 DC). Factors: additional 12 hitpoints per character level (+200). SR/PR at HD +11 (+135 DC). Movement mode: burrow speed (+20 DC). Mitigating factors: psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Sacrifice 2000 HD of living creatures (-100 DC). 12,500,000 Cp focus structure (-125 DC). 40d6 backlash damage (-40 DC). Burn 2000XP (-20 DC).

Your metamorphosis ritual continues, granting you even greater strength and resilience. You can now feel the awesomeness of your presence as your hatred grows even stronger.

This spell may only be cast after the defiler metamorphosis V spell has been cast, and you must be of dragon type. Additionally, this spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three defiler metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp (125,000 gp). This may be a new structure, but is likely this focus structure is the same structure that you used as a focus for Defiler Metamorphosis V, as each focus structure may be used up to three times before its mystical power is spent.

This spell transforms you into the sixth stage of the Athasian dragon species. You grow larger and denser, consequently becoming extremely hard to kill. For every character level you possess, you gain an additional 12 bonus hitpoints. You also now have the ability to burrow into the ground. Additionally, you become resistant to magic and psionics, gaining SR/PR at HD +11.

Example: A human defiler at this point would be around 25 feet long, as well as weighing 10,000 pounds

1 Like

I like both of these. One question though: what do you think the natural armor bonus of a fully metamorphosed dragon should be? LoA had it at +30 after size increase.

1 Like

Great Wyrm Red Dragons apparently have +39 natural AC, which I assume is Natural Armor.

I’m honest not sure what it should be. Dragons can easily use epic spells to buff their AC.

Yes, they could use spells to boost it, and probably will, but they should have a decent amount of natural protection. It helps make the spells worthwhile to research and cast.

1 Like

What number do you think is decent?

Not sure. 30 is fine? it puts them in the dragon ballpark while still allowing their spells room to work. The danger is of course that there are ways to boost AC to the point of being impossible to hit, but there’s not really a way to avoid that while still having them feel like a dragon. Thoughts?

1 Like

I checked out the epic monsters in the SRD. They have high Natural Armor bonuses. I’ll aim for the same Natural Armor bonus of a red dragon great wyrm (+39). Or maybe the gold dragon great wyrm (+40).

1 Like

Defiler Metamorphosis VII

Spellcraft DC: 82 DC

To develop: 738,000 Cp, 14 days, 29,520 XP. Seed: metamorphosis (28 DC). Factors: Natural Armor bonus +4 (+120 DC). Movement mode: winged flight (+60 DC). Wing attack (+30 DC) Improve flight maneuverability by 1 category (+80 DC). Immunity to polymorphing/petrification/any other attack that alters its form (+75). Immunity to death effects (+30 DC). Immunity to disintegration (+30 DC). Mitigating factors: psionic enchantment via expenditure of epic power slot (-19 DC). Change range to personal (-2 DC). Sacrifice 2000 HD of living creatures (-100 DC). 80d6 backlash damage (-80DC). Cosmic confluence of Messenger comet passing Athas (-120 DC ad hoc). Burn 3000XP (-30 DC).

Reptilian wings burst from your back as you begin to look like a true dragon.

This spell may only be cast after the defiler metamorphosis VI spell has been cast, and you must be of dragon type. Additionally, this spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting.

At this, the seventh stage of your metamorphosis, a focus structure is detrimental your continuing metamorphosis, and you are so powerful you have no need of a focus structure anyway. Instead of a focus structure, you take strength from the mystic significance of The Messenger comet passing Athas, an event that occurs only every 45 years. Your scales continue to grow in density, giving you an additional +4 bonus to Natural Armor. Wings sprout from your, giving the ability to fly, the speed of which depends on your size. Medium to Huge – 150 ft. Gargantuan – 200 ft. Colossal 250 ft. Your winged flight is magically assisted, giving you a maneuverability of average. In addition to using your wings to fly, you can use wing attacks. Lastly, you develop a number of new immunities: immunity to polymorphing/petrification/any other attack that alters you form, immunity to death effects, and immunity to disintegration.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is not a legal number. According to my table in the Epic Level Handbook, backlash damage is capped at the spell developers hit dice times 2. Maybe some EXP cost, gold sacrifice, or preparation or casting time modifiers to make up the difference? or Ad Hoc mitigating factors of course.

Immunity to death effects is in here twice

Nice description.
I still love this transformation, it might need tweaking. Once I see the full arc of the metamorphosis, I’ll be happy to offer feedback as to edits to it as a whole. looking strong overall