Fey on Athas? Are there any?

Yea I did get some ideas from other monsters there, The supplement seems to be directed at allowing the turning of player characters into undead versions of themselves, and the excessive stat blocks are just really annoying, but this was designed for an earlier system of DnD. I am familiar more with the very old stuff and the new stuff, so some of that stuff in the middle editions is new to me.

Its a pretty standard 3.5e book of monster templates (3.5e’s my jam). Not necessarily for PCs.

Many of the undead are also in 2e’a Terrors Beyond Tyr. There’s less info, but also less stat blocks.

1 Like

DMs Revenge is spot on.

I got started with 3.5 and moved backwards to 2e, while dabbling in 3.5 to this day, so I definitely know your pain of large statblocks for everything. If you’re doing 5e I would just read over the monsters and make a note of what important abilities the monsters have and translate them as well as you can. It’s worked fine for me (and as far as I know 5e is almost as easy to homebrew as the old stuff), hell I have a small folder of various 3e and Pathfinder monsters I ported into AD&D. It’s easier than you’d think and my players have yet to realize what’s homebrewed and what’s not.

1 Like

The only real problem I have porting over to 5e is the lack of ability stats, they only give intelligence for those blocks, but a ton of other unnecessary stats that really have no bearing on anything. I just end up rolling the stats out and adjusting to fit what I think the mob would have.

Oh, wait, you mean 2e → 5e got it.

Most monsters made it to 3e, you could probably steal the 3e Ability scores if it’s faster (but its probably not)…

I stand corrected I missed that Terrors has decent ability stats for the mobs, I was looking at earlier 2e materials for some of the mobs I was interested in and it only gave int. My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, yeah. 3e never missed a chance to enumerate some stats.

You mean Terrors of Athas? Both sets of monster manuals for both 2 & 3e are all called Terrors “X”. Lol.

I’m trying to reconcile the nature of Fey and the Feywild by making it more a wierd psionic thing than magical, the Eladrin would be the Elven equivalent of Elan or the Maenar (from Paizo’s 3E Dark Sun, where Andropinis found them as survivors of some ruined civilization who were hiding out in the Black, possibly from Eberron, and brought them to Balic in exchange for their help escaping), being psionically ‘evolved’ beings with crystalline skin ect I’d have the pixies look more like tiny Rhulisti partway evolved into Avangions, with the wierd insectoid wings and psionically levitating instead of flying. Rather than a nature-magic realm the Feywild is a psychic ‘pocket dimension’ created by the Elves and Pixies using Athas’ forests as a living psionic medium, sort of like Imaskar in Forgotten Realms with its hyperdimensional cities. When Wyan and Albeorn defiled the Green Age forests it devastated the psychic Fey world and drove most inside it insane or left them as undead monstrosities.

You can do what you like with your game, but to me psionic fey IN the Feywild, would seem very out of place. It is a completely separate place from Athas.

Perhaps fey that have adapted to living ON Athas outside the Feywild could develop psionics, that seems reasonable given their lack of connection to their home plane.

Mmm I tend to be a purist in the sense I like Athas’ 'psychic dominant/no extraplanar travel," same with Pixies and Elves being the only ‘Fey’ and both being just mutant Halflings, as it was the reason Rajaat wanted them dead, it hates the ‘abominations’ derived from the Rhulisti while ignoring beings like the Thri-Kreen as ‘animals.’

On the topic of the idea of expanding the Feywild mechanically (The Land Within the Winds) in my campaign I created a homebrew spell on DnD beyond for 5e and will be putting it on Dnd Wiki soon.

This spell would not be subject to defiling given that it is only accessible to Druids and Arch-Fey Warlocks. If you guys want to use it you are welcome to.

Feywildcraft - Spells - Homebrew - D&D Beyond (dndbeyond.com)

If you’re interested in Athasian Feywild stuff I recommend hunting down the 'Island of Death" 4e adventure from Dragon magazine which features an island in the Silt Sea that was once a refuge for the Fey. I found it through a full collection of all Dark Sun 4e Dragon magazine articles titled ‘Eye on Athas’ over on the Dark Sun reddit, should still be up.

3 Likes

Seconded.

I wasn’t a big fan of that adventure personally (4e & Feywild), but it would be a GREAT source if you’re leaning that way. Good stuff.

The Feywild is only going to be a tiny part of my campaign, assuming the players even go there, they have the option of avoiding it all together, but they tend to explore every nook and cranny of my campaign, so it is highly likely that they will at least discover it.

I believe they are fey in 4th edition. Belgoi that is.

1 Like

In the 4e Creature Catalog all instances of the word “fey” associated with a creature type include only the following:

Belgoi
Eladrin
Elf
Sand Bride

2 Likes

Many are degenerate or undead fey though. Fey has always been an overlooked designation by TSR and WoTC… only now that they put out a Fey adventure will they start to add more too it, I assume.

1 Like

Fey was never an overlooked type by TSR, types were invented by WotC for 3e.

But otherwise, 100% yes. Published adventurers never involve Fey except as helpless sidenotes (quest giver, in need of rescue, etc)

Currently there are a ton of Feywild supplements on DMs Guild. One I saw gives Ravenloft/Shadowfell Fey, which I found very interesting if you wanted to pit the Grey vs the Feywild on Athas. I don’t own it yet, so don’t know if it is really worth it, but plan on getting it anyways. Some of the content even talks about a Sorcerer-Fiend and Shadow Realms, so it fits with what I plan on doing with it.

The Shadow Fey: a Guide to the Fey of Ravenloft - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild (dmsguild.com)

1 Like

Athas, the new Ravenloft…

1 Like