Fey on Athas? Are there any?

Well, seeing as they were a completely cleansed race, any fey left on Athas should be monstrous or undead.

1 Like

Was the Fey treated as a whole race? There are so many different kinds of Fey…

2 Likes

Pyreen are a fey race, according to LEGENDS OF ATHAS 3.5. Haven’t seen any Athasian leprechauns though.

Which is exactly how the L.E.P. Recon forces want you to think.

1 Like

You are correct in saying they should be different races. What they have in common is they all lived in the same now decimated terrain, and they were all killed by the Cleansing Armies.

Of the Sylvan races, we have been handling Pixies, Gnomes, “Brownies” (our forest gnomes) and a variety of Treant within our Dead Lands series of sourcebooks. There might be more, but they would be beyond the scope of our writing. We will also be discussing centaurs, but we’re not going to group them as a sylvan race per se.

As per the Athasian tradition of subverting Tolkien archetypes and the expectations for these races from other D&D settings, none of them are quite what you would expect. But that’s what makes them compelling.

1 Like

For my campaign, the champions in some cases handled multiple races when they were rare or closely related. Like Daskinor wiped out goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears while Wyan (I think) finished all the fey folk for example.

2 Likes

If I was to stick to the PP/Revised history this is exactly how I would do it too. Makes the most sense.

Seems reasonable. I imagine a cosmopolitan city would be Cleansed only once, probably by whichever Champion made the most sense. No reason to leave 10% of the non-human population behind to escape when your boss’s pitch is “Kill all non-humans.”

An interesting idea is that of lesser champions being tasked with sub-races who were appointed by a true Champions.

While Daskinor’s primary focus was goblins which were Athas’ predominant goblinoid races, he could have had magnates who focused on the less abundant goblinoids likes hobgoblins and bugbears.

1 Like

:thinking: Lesser “Champions” (implying some type of powers/template) or just powerful generals - like Hamanu was before Myron died?

Something like that, a bit more than a templar, more like a champion of the Champion. Maybe even imbued with a bit more power to accomplish their genocidal tasks. Dregoth’s buddy Mon Adderath comes to mind.

Would make for a cool BBEG for a PC’s to tackle thats not necessarily a SK but that has ties to the Cleansing Wars.

I’ve probably missed extensive discussions on this, but you had Merek the Wrong - a defiler warlord mentioned in DSE1 Dragons Crown. He laid siege to Akarakle on the Road of Fire and was confident enough to taunt Hamanu about controlling the Road’s obsidian deposits. I always figured he wasn’t a Champion, but rather a 2nd tier defiler warlord. Maybe one tasked with taking out Akarakle and the remaining Wind Mages towards the end of the Cleansing Wars.

In my campaign Ive adapted a sort of anti paladin class called the champion. Its granted by the Sorcerer Kings and each may only have one at a time. Each representing an investment of time and arcane might to empower such a being.

3 Likes

Depending on intent and particulars, i could behind something like that. Splitting up a Cleansing Army too much seems like a bad idea, but i do seem to recall segments of the Armies peeling off to Cleanse smaller segments or run down refugees, etc.

A Templar/Anti-paladin sounds like a fun way to do such a character.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly - Feywild havent location in Cosmology of Great Wheel or other DND models of multiversum. This can mean, that possible should be connection inter Feywild and Athas.

But IMO - this connection shouldn’t be “normal”. Any normal connection should be also opened doors to contacts with gods and normal magic, so one of main foundations will be broken. So any form of demiplane in Feywild should have own strange structure. Barren and discouraging, perhaps assimilating travelers into its structure, much like Grey.

Few of the original Fey have survived and have to mutated, so they can live here and have interactions with Athas. But for them, the path to the main Feywild is almost impossible. Maybe too long they lived here and Feywild repeling they? Maybe they are victims of some curse eg. by collaboration with Rajaat?

Separate point to consider - do this fey races were effects of “genetic engineering of ancient halflings” or “migrants from Feywild”? For me - the better concept would be “genetic engineering of ancient halflings”.

But way is open :slight_smile: