Monarch's Chosen (revised as a template)

I loved the flavor of the Monarch’s Chosen from the Dark Sun Prestige Class Appendix 2, but I didn’t like that there was a prestige class. I thought that it works better as a template.

All of the Sorcerer Kings have variations on this spell. Here is a relatively powerful version.

Monarch’s Chosen
Transmutation

Spellcraft DC: 150
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Willing target only
Spell Resistance: None if willing
To Develop: Compel (+19DC), Factor: Stricter compulsion (+10DC), Fortify (one ability score) (+27DC), Factor: Grant inherent bonous to ability scores by 5 each (+116DC), Metamophosis (+28DC), Factor: Ageless (+10DC), Change type to dragon (+50DC), Fast healing 5 (+90DC). Mitigating factors: Sorcerer King’s Focus structure (-50DC), Increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18DC), Willing target only (ad hoc -5DC) Sorcerer King’s psionic enchantment mastery (contribute one epic psionic power slot) (ad hoc -25DC), Backlast 30D6 (-30DC), Burn 7200 points of experience (-72DC)

Willing recipients of this spell apply the Monarch’s Chosen template.

Monarch’s Chosen template

A monarch’s chosen is an immortal servant of a Sorcerer King or Queen, imbued with a small portion of the sovereign’s power.

Creating a Monarch’s Chosen

Monarch’s Chosen is an acquired template that can be added to any willing living, non-mindless creature.

Size and Type
The creature’s size does not change. It’s type changes to Dragon.

Enslaved (Sp): The creature is under the strict control of its master. The creature may attempt disobey suicidal orders or orders that go against its nature, and receives a saving throw (will) with a penalty of -10 to resist taking that particular action, but if it succeeds, it still remains the master’s thrall despite its minor mutiny. Once the creature makes a successful saving throw to resist a specific order, it makes all future saving throws to resist taking that specific action without a penalty. Protection from evil or a similar spell can prevent the master from exercising control, but it does not end the enslavement or dispell it.

Immortality (Ex): The creature is now immortal and cannot die from natural causes. The creature does not age, and does not need to eat, sleep, or breath. The creature no longer takes penalties to ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that the creature has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the creature longer dies of old age.

Fast Healing (Ex): The creature heals 5 points of damage each round. If the creature loses a limb or body part, the creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Close to Ascension (EX): The creature is already ageless (+10DC), and a Dragon (+50DC). If the creature ever casts Defiler Metamorphosis I it receives a special mitigating factor of -60DC towards casting the spell.

Saves
Same as the character.

Abilities
Apply a +5 inherent bonus to each ability score. If the creature already has inherent bonuses, the inherent bonus does not exceed five.

Skills
Same as the character.

Feats
Same as the character.

1 Like

I can think of a Dark Sun NPC that probably was subject to this spell - Farcluun. Farcluun and Abalach-Re have an undisclosed history, and I think that this could be it.

In this narrative Farcluun was a servant of Abalach-Re for centuries after having undergone the Monarch’s Chosen transformation. Over time Farcluun gained in power, and was secretly able to break the compulsion that forced him to serve the Sorcerer Queen. Farcluun bided his time while mastering magic and psionics, and was ultimately able to discover the secrets of Defiler Metamorphosis I. Farcluun drained Abalach-Re’s personal gardens in casting the spell, and then fled. Since then Abalach-Re and Farcluun have been enemies.

1 Like