In response to questions about my current project, I am starting this thread to answer and discuss, as appropriate.
As I have alluded to, it is a learning project.
The material is in pretty bad shape. As might be expected of material produced by WotC, the SRD files are riddled with spelling errors, grammar errors, missing words, and incorrect words. The layout structure and usage of headings and tables is questionable. Thus it is a good target for repair.
Next, the material is legally open source, thus is freely editable and can be republished as is, or changed at whim. This makes it a good target which can be freely usable for practice without legal worries or repercussions.
Third, it is a complete if abbreviated game, which allows one to analyze the structure and mechanics individually and overall as one works on the material.
Fourth, I like pdf and hardcopy, I prefer to look stuff up in a book before I will go online to try and hunt it down.
Plus, the other available pdf products I have reviewed from DriveThruRPG are not done in a fashion that I would want to use… and none that I checked seem to be print on demand. They have tables and paragraphs split across pages, the layout is not ideal in many cases, they are missing sections of the SRD (many ignore the psionics and / or epic sections), and more.
Part of the challenge I have set myself is to exceed the quality of what offerings are already available. It is also nice in that this means I have a readymade baseline to compare and compete against! I can make changes, compare the results and pick which I feel are improvements! Such luxury!
Fifth, I wanted to learn in general how to edit and layout books, publish pdf, and publish print on demand. The SRD is large enough and complex enough to be a challenge for all three, yet small enough to not be entirely overwhelming.
Furthermore, I wanted to learn all of that and actually publish something, but I didn’t want to mess up something I cared about like my own novels or game material while I learned, so I picked the SRD as a project where I could make mistakes freely and still be able to legally publish it.
Finally, it’s already there and available to whomever, which saves me a lot of time. It’s a static target, and very unlikely to change in the future. Perfect for practice.
That is most of my logic for picking the SRD as the target of my project.