Poll: Name for the mountains surrounding Altaruk

As far as I have been able to ascertain, there is no cannonical name for the mountain range that Altaruk is in the middle of. As part of the Amazing Athasian Atlas project or Triple A, I’ve been pouring over a lot of details like this and trying to find names for things that should be named as part of the map making process. So given the relative importance of the mountain range in the campaign setting we’ve decided to run an official poll to name the mountains.

Please vote/please share.

• Bigfork Mountains
  • Siltguard Mountains
  • Greymere Mountains
  • Forgotten Mountains
  • Other, please comment below

0 voters

1 Like

Siltshield Mountains or The Pillars of Arun or Dustwall Mountains

3 Likes

Dustwall is pretty damn cool, thanks for the suggestion. What’s the idea behind pillars of Arun? Is Arun a reference to something?

2 Likes

Something different, Altaruk is situated in the rocky badlands between two smaller sets of mountains. Perhaps there is a story of enormous giant called Arun, who pushed the mountains apart to allow his people to travel freely. Thus, this is why the giants always attack Altaruk, its smack dab in the middle of the Pillars of Arun, blocking there way.

3 Likes

I like Siltshield, Siltguard, or Dustwall. They all sound good to me.

3 Likes

Dustspear mountains. Greypeak mountains.

1 Like

Spinewyrm Mountains! This is what Matthew A. Mendoza calls these in their supplement for Altaruk so I also call it that. That document is really a labour of love and I think the name fits the shape.

4 Likes

Although most of the other names sound a lot cooler. I had to go with Bigfork or rather, Big Fork.

Based on the following statement in both the original and rev boxed sets about Altaruk

“This major trade village is located at the head of Big Fork of the Forked Tongue Estuary.”

It was the only option that had any reference , that I could tell, to any already existing naming convention and seemed a natural fit to call those Big Fork Mountains.

6 Likes

Where can we find this Altaruk supplement? I didn’t know it existed.

2 Likes

It can be found in the public uploads folder under setting > Altaruk.

The book transforms Altaruk into more of a trading town than a village*, it has a lighthearted feel (for Dark Sun) and some good quests which I found have made it a good starting area depending on your taste.

4 Likes

I have to vote for spinewyrm mountains, only because I’m a sucker for dragons

1 Like

Big Fork is the name of the Silt Estuary, Im gonna assume Little Fork is the one south of Balic where Sirens Song lies.

1 Like

Agreed. Big Fork is the name of larger fork (northern part) of the Estuary of the Forked Tongue. While the smaller fork (southern) doesn’t appear to have a name that I can find. (But I think Little Fork is probably as good as name for it as any)

I am suggesting the mountains being named after the fork per @Ruhl-Thaun_Sage ’s suggestion, since the “head” of that fork of the estuary and starts in those mountains.

And maybe the mountains at the Little Fork are likewise named similarly

5 Likes

I like this, It would also tie into the Giant’s Rib Mountains which range north and east of Kalidnay. Maybe Arun was the titular giant of the ‘rib’?

2 Likes

Why not have a different name, depending on who’s naming it; The town of Altaruk will have one name: Elves will have another they call it: the Dwarves, yet another name and even the giants: you can also have Halflings name it; how or why they know or even have a name for it can be a mystery.

1 Like

Hard to write on a map…

1 Like

I agree from a realistic standpoint having different names for places in different cultures work well. For the purposes of creating a map the is used in conjunction with lore based roleplaying material, it’s far more preferable to just have a single name for things. Otherwise it get confusing and difficult to remember and reference.

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re right; I’d had an *, and have multiple-names in the notes at the bottom.

1 Like