Tarek Teamfighter Prestige Class 3.5

Originally posted by bengeldorn:

Here is another racial prestige class I developed. I hope, you’ll like it!

TAREK TEAMFIGHTER

Tarek Teamfighters are tarek warriors that are at best when fighting with other tarek teamfighters. They developed unique techniques and tactics to combine their forces and expertises to their best. The tareks’ tactics have been copied by some arena gladiators, but those have never developed their skills arranging their attacks with each other in fight as tarek teamfighters do.

Tarek temafighters are usually attracted by fighters, barbarians, rangers and gladiators. Tarek Teamfighters with rouge levels are a deadly thread to any opponent, and even bards reap the benefits of this prestige class. Druids usually are not attracted by the tarek teamfighter prestige class, because they prefer to live as hermits. There was never been heard of any wizards to become tarek teamfighters, but this is basically due to the fact, that there has never been heard of any tarek wizards.

Tarek teamfighters train their techniques during raids with their tribe or just for fun within their tribe. Tarek teamfighters are very welcomed in arenas, due to their impressive techniques and their impact they have even against superior foes.

Hit Die: d12

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a tarek teamfighter a character must fulfill all of the following criteriea.
Race: Tarek.
Base Attack: +5
Skills: Sense Motive 4 ranks
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Teamwork

CLASS SKILLS
The tarek teamfighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

TABLE 1–1: THE TAREK TEAMFIGHTER
LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial<br />1st+1+2+0+0Aid another +1, team tactic<br />2nd+2+3+0+0Improved teamwork<br />3rd+3+3+1+1Aid another +2, coordinate<br />4th+4+4+1+1Team damage +1d6, team tactic<br />5th+5+4+1+1Aid another +3<br />6th+6+5+2+2<br />7th+7+5+2+2Aid another +4, team tactic<br />8th+8+6+2+2Team damage +2d6<br />9th+9+6+3+3Aid another +5<br />10th+10+7+3+3Multiple aid, team tactic
CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the tarek teamfighter prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Tarek teamfighters gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor.
Aid Another (Ex): When using the aid another action in melee combat to help another to attack an opponent or defend from an opponent, a tarek teamfighter increase the granted bonus to the attack roll or to the AC by +1. That bonus increases to +2 at 3rd, +3 at 5th, +4 at 7th, and +5 at 9th level.
Team Tactic (Ex): Tarek teamfighters develop new techniques to combine their attacks. At 1st level and every 3 levels thereafter (4th, 7th and 10th level) can choose one of the following team tactics. To use a team tactic in combat two or more tarek teamfighters must have the same team tactic, and all of them have to act on the same initiative count, unless noted otherwise.

• [i]Trip and Hit: [/i]To use this tactic, two tarek teamfighters (later referred as Tarek A and Tarek B) must flank the same target. Both tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. When doing so, the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one action that follows by the steps as followed:
    • Tarek A aids Tarek B to trip the target.
    • Tarek B makes a trip attempt against the target, without provoking an attack of opportunity from that target. If Tarek B’s trip attempt succeeds continue with step 3. If the trip attempt fails, the tactic fails, but Tarek A can still use a standard action.
    • Tarek B aids Tarek A for the next attack.
    • Tarek A attacks the target, but gains double the bonus usually granted by Tarek B for his next attack roll.
  • [i]Pin and Stike: [/i]To use this tactic, two tarek teamfighters (later referred as Tarek A and Tarek B) must flank the same target. Both tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. When doing so, the tarek teamfighters’ turn mix into one action that follows by the steps as followed:
    • Tarek A aids Tarek B to grapple the target.
    • Tarek B makes a grapple attempt against the target, without provoking an attack of opportunity from that target. If Tarek B has established a hold, continue with step 3. If the grapple attempt fails, the tactic fails, but Tarek A can still use a standard action.
    • Tarek B makes an attempt to pin the target (still getting the bonus from Tarek A’s aid another action). If Tarek B succeeds to pin the target, and can aid another as a swift or free action continue with step 4. If Tarek B succeeds to pin the target, but cannot aid another as a swift or free action continue with step 5. If the attempt to pin the target fails, the tactic fails, but Tarek A can still use a standard action.
    • Tarek B aids Tarek A for the next attack.
    • Tarek A attacks the target without risking hitting Tarek B for attacking into a grapple.
  • [i]Volley Strike: [/i]To use this tactic, two or more tarek teamfighters (later referred as Tarek A and Tarek B), must each treaten the same target. All tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. When doing so, the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one action that follows by the steps as followed:
    • Tarek A aids Tarek B to attack the target.
    • Tarek B attacks the target with an additional +1 bonus to all his attack and damage rolls.
    • Tarek B aids Tarek A to attack the target.
    • Tarek A attacks the target with an additional +1 bonus to his attack and damage rolls.

Volley Strike with more than two tarek teamfigthers: Repeat Step 1 to Step 2 for each additional tarek teamfighter. Each tarek teamfighter uses the aid another action on a different tarek teamfighter, and the last one aiding aids Tarek A.
    For example, Volley Strike with 4 tarek teamfighter: Tarek A helps Tarek B. Tarek B attacks the target. Tarek B helps Tarek C. Tarek C attacks the target. Tarek C help Tarek D. Tarek D attacks the target. Tarek D helps Tarek A. Tarek A attacks the target. Each tarek teamfighter would gain an additional +1 bonus on his attack and damage rolls.
    Volley Strike with a member, who can aid others more than once in round: If a tarek teamfighter can use the aid another action more than once in a round, he can aid other tarek teamfighters as well, providing each an additional +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls. In addition he can choose to aid other tarek teamfighter at any time during their action.
    For example, Volley Strike with 3 tarek teamfighter, and Tarek A and Tarek C able to aid another more than once in a round: Tarek A aids Tarek B and Tarek C to attack the target. Tarek C aids Tarek A and Tarek B to attack the target. Tarek B attacks the target with a +2 bonus on his attack and damage rolls. Tarek B aids Tarek C. Tarek C attacks the target with a +2 bonus on his attack and damage rolls. Tarek A attacks the target with a +2 bonus on his attack and damage rolls.

• [i]Horde Attack:[/i] To use this tactic, at least one tarek teamfighter (later referred as Tarek A) must threaten the target and be next to another tarek teamfighter. The other tarek teamfighters must either be next to Tarek A or to another tarek teamfighter who is next to Tarek A. Unlike common team tactics, the tarek team members don’t have to act on the same initiative count, but all participating tarek teamfighters must have the Rotate Lines feat (see page 48 of DS3), and they all have to declare using this tactic before making any other actions in this round. When doing so, each tarek teamfighters can swap his position with other tarek teamfighters one additional time per round.
  • [i]Mass bull rush: [/i]To use this tactic, two or more tarek teamfighters have to be next to another (the max. number of participating tarek teamfighter’s is limited by the target’s space occupied, see Table 1–2: Mass Bull Rush and participating Tarek Teamfighters). All tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. When doing so, the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one action. One of the tarek teamfighters makes a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge (see Charge). Each other participating tarek teamfighter grants a bonus to this attack equal to the bonus granted by his the aid another action. In addition for each two participating tarek teamfighters, the tarek teamfighters can bull rush one size category larger than Large (for example 6 tarek teamfighters could bull rush a gargantuan target). If the tarek teamfighters mass bull rush a target as part of a charge, all tarek teamfighter must charge the target and each provides an additional +2 bonus to the bull rush attempt.

TABLE 1–2: MASS BULL RUSH AND PARTICIPATING TAREK TEAMFIGHTERS
    Space occupied by Max. Number <br />the mass bullof participating <br />rushed creaturetarek teamfighters<br />---------------------------------------<br />0 ft.1<br />2 ½ ft.2<br />5 ft.3<br />Each additional 5 ft.+1<br />of space occupied

• [i]Bait and Predator:[/i] To use this tactic, the target must be between one tarek teamfighter and at least one other tarek teamfighter, and the target must be able to see at least one of them. Unlike common team tactics, the tarek team members don’t have to act on the same initiative count, but the one, who must be seen by the target (and is later referred as Tarek A), must before the target and the other tarek teamfighters (later referred as Tarek B). The tactic goes as followed:
    • Tarek A tries to get the attention of the target with a successful bluff check opposed to the target’s character level. If Tarek A’s bluff succeeds, the target’s attention is focused on him and the target suffers a -4 penalty on all Spot and Listen checks.
    • Tarek B moves silently towards the target.
    • Tarek B attacks the target, while the target is caught flat-footed (and thus denied its Dexterity Bonus to AC).

This tactic even works, when the target is already engaged in a combat, but then the target gains a +4 bonus on its character level check.

Improved Teamwork (Ex): A 2nd level tarek teamfighter can aid another as a swift action.
Coordinate (Ps): At 3rd level a tarek teamfighter doesn’t need to say anything to another tarek teamfighter to coordinate their team tactic. During a combat, a tarek teamfighter can at will use mass missive as a free action, that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, to coordinate his team tactic with other tarek teamfighters. The other tarek teamfighters do not need have this ability to coordinate their tactics.
Team Damage (Ex): At 4th, whenever a tarek teamfighter flanks an opponent, he can deal extra damage. At 4th level the extra damage is 1d6, and it increases every four tarek teamfighter levels thereafter (2d6 at 8th level). This extra damage applies only to one damage roll during a tarek teamfighter’s turn.
Multiple Aid (Ex): At 10th level a tarek teamfighter can aid another as free action. He can aid another, even when it’s not his turn. A tarek teamfighter can use the aid another action for a number of additional times per round equal to his Dexterity bonus. Each additional use of aid another must be on a different target. (You cannot for example aid one target on its attack and its defense.)

Designer Notes: I wanted to have at least 6 team tactics to choose from, but if anyone has additional ideas, I’d be happy to see them. In addition it would be nice to know what people think of the team tactics.
I’m not quite happy with name of the PrC, any ideas are welcomed.
The skill selection was kind of random. Sense Motiv is the only one I have to insist on, because their coordination is for most parts based on this skill.

Originally posted by Pennarin:

I’m sure its a fun read but can anyone who’s better than me in combat mechanics look over the tactics to see if the language can be simplified? It would help greatly with the readability of the class.
I know how difficult it is to word abilities related to team tactics, to simplify them to the extreme, I went there with the Matched-Pair PrC, and the attempt was only partly successful.
Best of lucks Bengeldorn.

Originally posted by mystictheurge:

You might look at the Nightsong Infiltrator (or maybe the Enforcer, I don’t recall) from Complete Adventurer, they had a bunch of team based abilities. It might help with streamlining these.

Unfortunatelly, none of these classes’ abilities comes mechanically close to what my itention was with the team tactic.

Besides, what actually isn’t good with the way the team tactics are presented? Is it that i used “Tarek A” and “Tarek B”, is it that some tactics have certain “steps”, or is it anything else? I’ve writen those mechanics, that’s proberly why I don’t see the problem.

Originally posted by Pennarin:

If never saw anything with steps like those found in Trip and Hit. The Tactical feats in Complete Warrior offer several such tactics without having steps. They are easy to follow and rather compact. That’s about it.

This is the way, I’d write them if I’m not going to use steps (although grapple uses steps too) and not referring to Tarek A or Tarek B:

Volley Strike: To use this tactic, two or more tarek teamfighters must each threaten the same target. All tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. While doing so, the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one turn, in which they can take any action at any time on that turn. A tarek teamfighter, who is target of another tarek teamfighter’s aid another to attack action, attacks the threatened target he gains for each tarek teamfighter that aids him a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Pin and Strike: To use this tactic, two tarek teamfighters must flank and threaten the same target. Both tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. While doing so the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one turn, in which they can take any action at any time on that turn. If one tarek teamfighter aids another tarek teamfighter to grapple the target, the tarek teamfighter, who attempts to grapple the target, doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity from that target. In addition, the grappling tarek teamfighter may attempt to pin the target as a free action. The tarek teamfighter, who doesn’t grapple with the target, may attack the target without risking hitting the grappling tarek teamfighter. The grappling tarek teamfighter, who can aid another as a swift or free action, may aid the non-grappling tarek teamfighter to attack the target.

Trip and Hit: To use this tactic, two tarek teamfighters must flank and threaten the same target. Both tarek teamfighters have to declare using this tactic before making any actions in that round. While doing so the tarek teamfighters’ turns mix into one turn, in which they can take any action at any time on that turn. If one tarek teamfighter aids another tarek teamfighte to trip the target, the tarek teamfighter, who attempts the to trip the target, doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity from that target. If the target is being tripped by this attempt, and the tarek teamfighter, who made the trip, aids the other tarek teamfighter to hit the target, the bonus of the aid another action is doubled for the next attack roll.

Bait and Preditor: To use this tactic, the target must be between one tarek teamfighter and at least one other tarek teamfighter, the target must be able to see at least one of them, and the target must be within 30 feet of the tarek teamfighter it is able to see. Unlike common team tactics, the tarek teamfighters don’t have to act on the same initiative count, but the one, who must be seen by the target, must act before the target and the other tarek teamfighters, who participate with this tactic. The tarek teamfighter who acts first, tries to distract the target with successful Bluff check opposed to the target’s character level. If the tarek teamfighter wins this check, the target receives a -4 penalty on Spot and Listen checks for a number of round equal to the tarek teamfighter’s class level (or until it is attacked by any other creature). The other tarek teamfighters, who are on the targets side of the target, can move silenty towards that target. The target is caught flat-footed against these tareks, when they attack the target. This team tactic even can be used, when the target is already engaged in a combat, but the target gains a +4 bonus on its character level chek.

What do you think? Is this better?
Note: Some tactics may now vary from the original step order, but I guess it is ok that way.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.