Tari History Timeline

I typically thread necromancy this, but its been locked. Tari have been a long underrated DS race and made a more robust history for them.

———

originally posted by Sysane

Well this is what I’ve come up with thus far. This is far from complete. Let me know what your thoughts are good or bad:

Tari Time Line:

● The first tari emerge from the Pristine Tower alongside the other Rebirth races to find their place in the new world.

● After roaming the Tyr region for several decades the tari settle to the lands south of the future site of Kalidnay.

-13, 954
● Not long after settling in the southern portion of the Tyr region the tari find and domesticate the now extinct beasts called rel-vorn. They appear to look similar to the modern-day nightmare beast but are half their size with none of that creature’s innate powers and aggression. The tari begin to use the rel-vorn as riding and pack animals to help shape their civilization.

● The tari contract a rare and mysterious disease. An epidemic soon arises and many tari are wiped out due to plague.

● After many years of research, tari scholars find the cure for disease saving their race from extinction. However, the cure only prevents the tari from suffering its debilitating effects. They are forever carriers of this disease which is passed along to future generations. Through their research, the tari unlock the arts of herbal medicine and healing.

● The maze city of Ythri is founded and becomes known as the hub of medical knowledge and one of the greatest exporters of herbal curatives and vaccines of the Green Age.

-13, 926
● Even though not adept as some of the Rebirth races, the tari learn the basics of the Will and the Unseen Way.

● A dark time in Ythri’s history. Several tari psions experiment and create medicines that heighten their already formidable mental powers for short periods of time against the High Physician’s wishes… Soon civil war erupts within the walls of the tari city as drug-addled tari psions and followers seek to usurp control of Ythri. So begins the Mind Blight Conflict.

● After 12 years of internal strife, the Mind Blight Conflict is brought to an end with the capture and execution of the tari psions responsible.

● Dozens of tari flock to Rajaat to learn the never-before-seen magic along with the other races of Athas.

● Nearby wemics begin to encroach on the tari lands by raiding Ythri trade caravans. The tari’s ruler the High Physician personally seeks out the wemics to negotiate… In return for ceasing all hostility, he vowed that the tari would aid the wemics in their greatest hour of need. Moved by the lone tari’s decree the wemics stop all aggressions.

● Kalium’s, an aspiring wizard, child becomes ill and he seeks the tari of Ythri to help cure his beloved son. The greatest of the tari’s medical scholars stave off the illness briefly but the boy relapses and soon sub comes to the ravages of disease. Kalium, devastated by the loss of his child, swears vengeance against the tari people for their failure. Kaium redoubles his efforts in studying magic.

● Kalium is charged with eradicating one of the Rebirth races and becomes the Warbringer’s 15th Champion. He is knighted Kalid- Ma the Tari Killer.

● Kalid-Ma gleefully begins marching his forces across Athas slowly making his way toward Ythri. Along the way slaying any and all tari settlements that happen upon his path before attempting to crush their capital.

● One of several tribes of wemics reaches the gates of Ythri having their lands razed by the Wemic Annihilator, Tectuktitlay, looking for sanctuary. The tari welcome the wounded wemics honoring their ancestors’ pledge made centuries before.

● Fearing the approaching Kalid-Ma the tari plan to flee their city. The wemics offer to bide the gentle tari time as repayment for their kindness. Tari and wemic psions and artisans forge the blade Del-gen in hopes of having a weapon to fend off the Tari Killers forces and to ultimately slay the Champion himself.

● Kalid-Ma reaches the gates of Ythri and lays siege on the tari city. Many tari have been slain on his journey and those that haven’t flee to their capital city for protection. Tari and wemic fight side by side to fend off the armies of the Tari Killer. In the meantime, scores of tari flee through the sewers to the expanding wastes of Athas. The chief of the wemic tribe wielding Del-gen wades through the forces of Kalid-Ma cutting a bloody swath to reach the Tari Killer himself. The wemic chief lands a single mighty blow against the 15th Champion only to be dispatched by his mastery of the Way and magic. Ythri is soon left in ruins and the remaining tari scatter to the far reaches of the Tyr region.

Beyond the fall of Ythri
● Kalid-Ma continues to hunt down the remaining tari till the 164th King’s Age. Eradicating every known civilized tari settlement. Though successful in evading the Tari Killer and extinction, the tari become nothing more than vagrants over the following centuries. Losing any and all knowledge of their past and once great civilization. Once Kalid-Ma and the other Champions betray Rajaat and imprison him within the Black, the Tari Killer ceases his war and turns his attention to other matters. Satisfied that he has taken his rightful vengeance against the tari…

6 Likes

Great stuff! I’m interested Brian, where do you see the ruins of Ythri as being on the map? South of Kalidnay on the original CS Boxed Set map? Or closer to Celik? Or somewhere else completely?

2 Likes

It seems like the person who wrote the ‘Tari of the Ythri Snarl’ interpreted Celik as Ythri, or at least the Tari living there believe so.
I think anywhere south of Celik is probably fair game, I personally stuck it in the strip of un-tainted land between the jagged cliffs and Dead Lands, and am thinking about merging it with the settlement ‘Zethri’

1 Like

Hi Bryan, awesome! I love me some Tari and some timelines.
I am going to suggest / prod / question, mostly by comparing with the Athas dot org timeline/events page.

-14,026 was the year the Rebirth races appeared first. Why are the Tari later?

Have you thought about a source for this disease? Is it psionic in origin? Is it an after effect of the rhulisti doing something?

That is an awesome amount of time passing without anything happening really.
No interactions of note with the Kreen? These migrate between -10.387 and -8.604 into the Tyr region.

Also, the timeline mentions -4.976 as the first year that Rajaat starts teaching preserver/defiling magic.

From -4.275 the Preserver Jihad begins. How do the Tari stand in that? Given their history so far I would expect some problematic defilers, but an overal lean towards preservation culturally, right?

I have seen several (online) sources be very unclear about the sex of Kalid-Ma. I personally like it better when it would be a sorcerer-queen. But whatever floats one’s boat here I guess.

Btw, where is the city of Ythri located?

And do you envision the Tari having a chance to uncover the knowledge of the past and their civilization? If so, how?

Where did the blade Del-Gen go?

Somehow I feel as if @Sysane has Ythri somewhere up north or east. Not sure why I do think so.

There is an explanation too, because if their capital would be very close to the Dead Lands, Kalid-Ma wouldn’t have taken so long to do his job. The champions went to Navaros (City of a 1,000 Dead) first and laid siege to that, before all going their seperate ways and going after their appointed targets.

Also, what is this settlement ‘Zethri’ that you mention?

I based this on an old pdf of the DS timeline that was released prior to the Revised Setting Box. I don’t think I realized the discrepancy in the dates, but will definitely adjust to -14,026.

Not psionic, but a chance encounter with remnant rhulisti life-shaping tech that had negative consequences.

There were definitely kreen interactions, but nothing especially noteworthy or impacting.

In my mind, tari weren’t naturally inclined with arcane magic, but would have no love of defiling due to their herbal based society.

I like to think that Kalid-Ma was gender fluid, especially in later years, but gravitated more to male characteristics.

Definitely south of the Tyr region as the 2e tari monster entry indicates. Other than that, I haven’t a specific location in mind.

Yes. I had an adventure planned for it. It was going to tie into the Del-Gen, which leads into…

Kalid-Ma took the blade as well as the cerebral parasites from the ruins of Ythri and locked them away in what be Kalidnay.

One of the PCs I DM’d for, a half-elf bard/fighter wields it after uncovering it during the Merchant House of Amketch adventure. Anytime they encounter tari, the blade (which is sentient) forces the character to aide them whenever possible.

3 Likes

Zethri might have its origins in the ‘Athas Southlands’ fan map back from the Silt Skimmer website days, it is mentioned in some of the notes for Lost Cities of the Trembling Plains as the center of southern Tanysh culture on Athas, after they swept as far south as Celik and Kalidnay many Tanysh groups broke off into various tribes, kingdoms, ect, the most influential was based around the ‘ancient city of Zethri’ the undead nomadic humans found in the Dead Lnads might be descendants/members of these groups.

I was playing with the notion Ythri was actually destroyed long before Kalid-Ma by the Tanysh, and became a sort of ‘Atlantis’ myth to the Tari, and the human city of Zethri was founded atop its ashes. Zethri is long dead too now, and Ythri just persists as a sort of idealized paradise among the Tari.

1 Like

I prefer a nonbinary Kalid-Ma too, given the power of the Sorcerer Kings and commonplace nature of body-altering psionics, lifeshaping technology ect one would imagine the Green Age and Blue Age would be pretty accustomed to a non-binary cultural concept of sex/gender, though the Rhulisti could make for some interesting cultural clashes between the deeply traditional ‘the halfling form is sacred’ Nature Masters and anything-goes Nature Benders. Given Daskinor is a Psychic Nomad who has body-hopped since the Blue Age ended who knows what kind of memories are floating around ‘his’ head.

1 Like

What is your source for this?

Lost Cities of the Trembling Plains and Prison State of Eldaarich in the BWOA public release, however much is TSR unpublished content vs later fan additions I have no idea. Per the info in those Daskinor is a mind-hopper, and has been around since humans had just mutated into existence at the end of the Blue Age, being various historical figures who usually ended in disaster across the Green Age, the body of ‘Daskinor’ was the one they were currently inhabiting when becoming a Dragon, which stuck them in that one body and might have played a factor in why Daskinor is an utter lunatic.

2 Likes

That is this map, right: http://www.siltskimmer.org/_maps/athas_southlands.jpg

1 Like

its zethir, right, I’m an idiot.

I would really like to know if those supplements incorporated any TSR content. I thought that the only unpublished information was in the Dregoth Ascending and Dead Lands supplements.

Canon accepted.

I’ll find a way to get ythri onto the southern continent map we’ve been fiddling with in the Dead Lands project.

Is this map southwest of the dead lands, or somewhere else?

Looking at it again with the globe map at the bottom of the Athasian Cartographer’s site in hand it makes sense to be part of areas C7/C8. Southeast in C7, northeast in C8.

It kind of makes sense too, in that we have the Tari woods up north from that section then in the border area of C6/C7 next to the Dragon’s Back Mountains.

1 Like

I hope there is more to it than that because its sounds horrible tbh

Afaik it’s fanon so feel no shame in making it whatever the heck you want XD

1 Like

dont mean to offend anyone, i just prefer to keep the champions green age based. there are enough reasons for daskinor insanity without looking for them in an age he wasn’t a part of

1 Like

Right. I’ve added this geography to our next version of the Southern Continent map.

1 Like