The personality of the sorcerer kings/ dragon kings

Well, this is an Athasian board, so it could have died and been reanimated to serve again and again Rasser :wink:

It is a good thread!

3 Likes

In mine she refounded the city, people were grabbed from outside the tablelands, an alternate plane via her unstable gate, and some displaced folks. It was a secret at first but within a couple years the secret was out. Hamanu nearly went to war with her again but stopped just short of the city when Urik (and every other citystate) was attacked by Gensai armies from across the see in retaliation for Dregoth’s god spell. By the time the cities were safe he didn’t have the means to directly attack her any longer. As trade is starting to open back up, the remaining SMs are having a difficult time keeping things under control.

The Age of Chaos I’ve got my groups in right now have hit the Tablelands pretty hard, a high level timeline is below in case it sparks any ideas.

Free Year Event
FY 1 Kalak’s Death
FY 2 Tyr Defends against Urik
FY 3 Sun Wizard, Rkhard born
FY 4 Psionictix, Avangion killed
FY 5 Black Waters cured
FY 6 Gith Invasion halted
FY 7 Messenger doesn’t appear, ForestMaker
FY 8 Selbia’s spirit recovered
FY 9 Dark Lens found, Selbia and Ceilbia released
FY 10 Abalach-Re killed, Dregoth sends templars above ground, Dragon killed, Rajaat reimprisoned, Androponis sent to black, Tek killed, Tithian bound to Cerulean storm, Great Earthquake
FY 11 Yaramuke refounded in secret, Wraith Borys begins to gather his people
FY 12 God spell, Dregoth lives again, Elemental Spheres fail (Arenek, Egendo)
FY 13 Elemental Realignment, Dregoth moves to the surface and reclaims Guinstental, Tithian’s return, Genasi Invasion, Yaramuke discovered, Druid council reformed
FY 14 Sacha begins dragon transformation, Avangion council formed, Nanda takes control of Raam
FY 15 Astral Invasion (Githyanki boats), Sadira takes the throne in Tyr
FY 16 Abalach-Re returns to Raam in secret
FY 17 Tec’s throne takes over Atzetuk
FY 18 Return of Kaladnay
3 Likes

Who is Arenek? Or is it misspelled

1 Like

Kalidnay? Oof. Was it made a Ravenloft domain in your continuity, or just met some other disaster?

All my notes have it spelled that way. I don’t remember where the name originally came from but there used to be a theory that Kalak was not in fact a Champion. A bit of backstory can be found here:

Student of Rajaat.

It was trapped in the Grey, you can see what my plan was here, I haven’t completed the adventure yet, at this point it’s taking between 2 and 4 years earth years to 1 on Athas but we’re still early in the year:

3 Likes

That’s probably for the best. Tearing it out of RL would make RL collapse, and possibly let some really nasty things into DS. Athas is ruined enough as it is, it doesn’t need to get any worse :wink:

1 Like

I know it probably doesn’t matter that much to an established campaign, but the 4e reboot actually fixed Kalidnay’s lore by shifting it to the Gray instead of Ravenloft, and tweaking the events a little to work everything together. I’m not opposed to Ravenloft per say, but I much prefer to keep it out of Athas in my own games (besides, if the Gray can shut out gods and divine magic, I see no reason Ravenloft’s mists could make it through)

3 Likes

Trying to catch up with this thread a little:

Man, all this stuff on Sielba and Yaramuke is great. It seems odd to me that at no point in multiple editions of Dark Sun have we gotten any useful official lore on either.

I like this. I’ve always thought that Dark Sun has always had the problem that there are almost no important woman around. Obviously not unique to Dark Sun, but it is rather severly notable in such a small world.

Agree with this. If the SM’s couldn’t keep their domains capable of supporting their own spell casting, and that of their pet defilers, without minimal to no long term harm, they would have been cast down or rendered their cities barren long ago.

I agree. I suppose I stand corrected on a number of counts.

2 Likes

The only thing that we can be 100% certain about is that Sielba was a peerless conjurer.

What does “success” mean in this context? Calling an elemental from the elemental planes, a creature from the Black or Gray should be a trivial matter for any Sorcerer Monarch. Rather, this artifact tier summoning chamber is designed to facilitate calling creatures from the Great Wheel (the standard D&D cosmology).

Of course, any caster that can call creatures could make the same attempt using their ordinary magics. Without the such an artifact to facilitate callings from beyond the Gray, there is a stiff Spellcraft DC to determine success.

Spellcraft DC Task
100 If you succeed in this spellcraft check when casting a spell that calls a creature, you can breach The Gray to reach the dimension containing the planes of the Great Wheel to conjure forth the creature.
2 Likes

I had rather thought the opposite : Lalali-Puy and Abalach-Re? not to mention the all female Templerate of Nibenay, the Villichi and the Maenads.

5 Likes

We can make a new thread to discuss this, but let me clarify that the quality of the writing and thought put into any characters, male or female, matters more than the sheer number or supposed importance, though both matter. The differences in between how men and women are portrayed, written about, and interact with the world are stark in every d&d setting (and most fantasy settings), Dark Sun included. Several of the examples you just listed are more than a little problematic, to put it mildly.

4 Likes

If you are refering to “Inenek.”
Thats the name of the beastly Champion, set forth to eradicate the feathered ones by master Rajaat.
The one whom now is known as The Oba of Gulg.

1 Like