Titans on Athas

As creature only in 4ed we have “Beast Titan”.

But in book “Psionic Artifacts of Athas” (for AD&D) we have “Hurling Titan”.

So I think… could the titans have existed in the past and died out if the word was preserved? Similar like with mule - anybody know, that this is term for crossbreed beings, but nobody know how and what so thisi is use as offensive term.

Or maybe titans live on Athas?

I feel like if titans on Athas existed, they were either serving as an elite caste in the giant realms, or were mutant members of the various giant subraces growen to even larger proportions than their normal kin (if you go 4e where titans weren’t a saparate subrace of giant kind).
In any case they were probably Dregoth first targets in the CW, as they were the most serious threats of their kind.

2 Likes

Maybe I was inaccurate.

As “titan” I mean “god-like giants in 1ed or 2ed or from dragon-magazine no. 357”. IDK how this beings work in later editions :wink:

1 Like

In that case I would make them the rulers of their kind, maybe even unique beings not unlike the giant equivlent of the SK(though nowhere near as powerful of course), and no more than a few of them in existance, maybe like the seven fathers of the dwarves in the works of Tolkien

1 Like

In 1e/2e/3e, Titans are greek-style Outsiders and are therefore just as inappropriate as Angels for the setting.

Also, i salute and despise you for inadvertently forcing me to suggest that the 4e version of something is MORE appropriate to DS than an earlier edition’s version. :saluting_face: :rage: :wink:

Well played, sir.

3 Likes

@ouroboros - I had similar point of view. For far regions this should be good alternative as main leaders, for DM in worldbuilding. With own separate concepts of power, goals, methods of tyranny etc.

@The_DMs_Revenge also correct point of few :wink: main I seek interpretations or concepts, so also this I can use.

3 Likes

The Dragonlance Ogre Titans might fit with a refluff.

1 Like

Are they called Ogre Titans, or something else? I am trying to track them down to see if I agree with you.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=dragonlance.3e.titans&oq=dragonlance.3e.titans&aqs=chrome..69i57.11625j0j7&client=ms-android-att-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

2 Likes

I like the idea that giantkind kings in the green age had to undergo a secret ritual that turned them into titans, the very last shred of life shaping craft left in their race from their halfling ancestors. Dregoth probably made sure it was lost forever lest any titan would rise again, even if he didn’t finish cleansing the giants

1 Like

Thank you. I was looking through 2e sources and didn’t even consider 3e.

2 Likes

I think it is funny that the forum suggests this thread to me when I was just thinking about this the other day.

I can’t speak for other tables, but at mine, Titans do exist, just not the way you’d expect.

They’re the Agafari Treants. Athasian Treants are usually other tree types, Bramble, Fanna or Saedra.

Agafari Treants have a longer life cycle and take more time to reach maturity (which is why Nibenay engages in the logging, to keep them from propagating).

Titans on Athas… I suppose it really depends on what iteration of Titans you are using.

3e/3.5 Titans were Outsiders of the Chaotic variety. Could they be found on Athas’s material plane? Maybe. But at this point they are probably a showpiece in a Sorcerer Monarch’s vault, or bound somewhere for study and left long ago. They are strong and dangerous. If they are around, they could easily put up a threat for a region, or be a quest objective to turn against an enemy.

4e Titans were the forebears of Giants, and there were a lot of elementally themed Giants and Titans in 4e. Their cosmology lined up more with the Primordial Chaos of the elements than Order. Their history for Athas was more like: “The gods lost the dawn war, and eventually the Primordials too disappeared”. If you use the same idea of these Titans being from other planes, but instead being from the Elemental Planes, then you could work them in.

These guys become more gentry and nobility of their elemental planes, placing them as another encounter among efreet, genie, and your various other giants. That being said, the Athasian setting isn’t kind to mortals, and the elements are not kind. So even if one brings in these creatures as such, they could still be as alien to mortals of Athas as the elements themselves. Keeping in mind though, a Primal Elemental still is over 10 CR higher than a Titan, but it’s not as smart or as wise. So these guys could be elemental monarchs, the generals of the Unseen War.

Combining this with the first notion, if someone did encounter them on Athas proper, they are likely a prisoner, or positioning for a new assault in the Unseen War. Could be a fun developement.

1 Like