Valley of Sting

Valley of Sting

Master- Black mastyrial (hive mind CR 6), Girtabilliu druid,

Denizens – Black mastyrial, Athasian chimera, chekryan, azrathid, scorpion swarm, giant ant lion, plants, incorporeal undead (slain victims), construct guardians

Complications- luring ghosts, hostile plants, druid traps,

Treasures- Druid’s personal effects, chimera venom, items of previous expeditions

No, not THAT Sting.

Remember, gods cannot exist on Athas, and that means no Sting. Though now I am imagining a valley dedicated to Sting. Might have break out my Book of Metal.

This is inspired by Pathfinder gazetteer guides. They have a section where they have detailed adventure sites complete with elaborate history, treasures, enemies etc. Pure imagination fodder.

The concept is a rocky canyon with an ancient shrine that attracts scorpions. It can be psionic, elemental or some kind of arcane. An ant lion lurks outside this cornucopia. Basically every kind of scorpion you can imagine is there. A girtabilliu druid has taken it upon herself to guard the shrine and surrounding canyon.

Things are changing rapidly. A mastyrial hive mind has organized, and is using the canyon as a base to hunt from. As local caravans and tribes are coming under threat and are about to retaliate. The chekryan is a psionic scorpion with plans of its own. The shrine has guardian statues from the original builders, and there are undead from other explorers.

3 Likes

What’s a Girtabilliu? And is the athasian chimera is a certain combination of dune reaper, gaj an cilops?

1 Like

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Girtablilu_(Scorpionfolk)_(5e_Creature)

2 Likes

Athasian chimera are just regular chimera, but with a goat, kirre & drake head. They’re in Faces of the Dead Lands (as raaigs).

2 Likes

Tbf, those were just the Green Age athasian equivalent of “classic dnd” ones we made up, it’s not impossible some far weirder abomination got spawned by say the Pristine Tower.

I should have double checked there wasn’t some wierd analogue to goats amid the domestic animals we could have cribbed, like how we made athasian “horses” wierd horned things vaguely linked to Sygra.

1 Like

My Google-fu revealed no goat analogues. Damn now I’m sad I missed the opportunity to create an athasian goat creature for you to use for the chimera

I believe Veiled Alliance mentions goats.

3 Likes

Sorry, I couldn’t resist:

1 Like

It does as do the main campaign setting books. 2e and 2e rev. But VoDaF has the most mentions of goats. Plus there are goatheaded giants.

3 Likes

I advocate Gulabi goats as the athasian goats :smirk:

4 Likes

Aprig?

And the art used to generate them is majestic! :wink:

Of course we mustn’t forget this thread

" Aprigs are domesticated animals used in the Dark Sun setting for food and raw materials. They resemble pigs, but have six legs and hard shells that protect them from the elements and from predators."

Unfortunately no…:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Curses! waves fists at sky

2 Likes