Viable creatures for Dark Sun from other settings (3.5e)

Here are some creatures from the Dragonlance setting that I think are acceptable for Dark Sun campaigns.

First: elemental minions. Creatures that can be called from the elemental planes. Dark Sun is really lacking creatures like this.

The remnant. Undead spellcasters.

Sligs. A kind of lizard folk.

1 Like

Cool.

Dark Sun HAS Sligs. Are they just from 3e? Edit: No, Sligs are in 2e’s Terrors Beyond Tyr. They are different creatures though. Maybe just call them Ghagglers, per the aquatic version.

The elementals seem similar to the ones from the 3e Dungeon/Dragon mags.

The Remnant is like a Incorporeal version of the Ashen from TotDL.

2 Likes

Well, I think they “are officially” in Athas. When I ran Dragon’s Crown I found a relevant encounter with Fire Minions… pg 19 The Road of Fire.

3 Likes

Sarkrith. Magic hating monstrous humanoids from Fiend Folio.

1 Like

Hmmm. The team that worked on Terrors of Athas would have seen the Sarkrith, and they’re not on the “List of Acceptable Monsters” from that book - I’d assume for a reason. IDK that they fit into established DS.

But, I could see them somewhere away from the Tablelands - maybe used in an ‘invasion’ plot. They’d definitely slot in well given some blank space in the setting.

If anyone does use them, please remember that the Fiend Folio is 3.0e, so you’ll also need to consult the 3.0e–>3.5e Update Booklet.

1 Like

Switch their hatred of magic to psionics. Could see them going up against the Order. Also change that they live under ground to silt fairing raiders.

Makes them unique and fit into DS more. Or at the very least, the DS version of the Yuuzhan Vong from Star Wars (which was the vibe I got from them).

4 Likes

Sure, maybe.

I think other monsters from that list quietly slot into the setting. It’d be weird that no one ever heard of/from these guys and they step on the Dray’s toes, conceptually.

But, yes. They could definitely fit with a little effort.

1 Like

Yeah. See the dray comparison now that you say it. Even more reason to switch them up.

3 Likes

Elemental creatures are pretty easy to slot into Dark Sun as a rule. Excited to see this version of the slig. Matches more with the one from Shattered Lands.

The other lizard race does strike me as redundant with the likes of silt runners and dray around. Thanks for sharing!

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere but Kobold Press has the Southlands Bestiary for Pathfinder (3.5 compatible) which is all desert themed monsters. Many of these could be dropped in fairly easily.

Here is the list

Accursed Defiler
Amphipteres
Angatra
Anubian
Arbeyach, Prince of Swarms (Arch-Devil)
Spawn of Arbeyach
Arbeyach’s Herald, Ia’Affrat the Insatiable
Arboreal Grappler
Asanbosam
Bastet Temple Cat
Beetle, Bellyborer
Behtu
Blemmyes
Bolt of Ekwane
Bouda
Buraq
Cactid
Clockwork, Imy-Ut Ushabti
Clockwork, Shabti
Clockwork, Ushabti
Dau
Demon, Kishi
Demon Lord, Camazotz
Demon Lord, Mechuiti
Demon, Apau Perape
Devil, Crystalline
Devil, Salt
Dingonek
Dipsa
Dinosaur, Dire Spinosaurus
Dragon, Flame
Drakon
Drought Swallows
Dune Mimic
Edimmu
Elemental, Fire Dancer Swarm
Elemental Loci
Emela-Ntouka
‘Esfwr
Gbahali
Genie, Al-Aeshma
Golem, Smaragdine
Gray Thirster
Gremlin, Azza
Harpy, Owl
Idolic Deity
Jaculus
J’ba Fofi
Lemurfolk (Kaguani)
Lemurfolk Characters
Manabane Scarab Swarm
Mbielu
Mirager
Mngwa
Mummy, Venomous
Nandi Bear
Ngoubou
Nguma-Monene
Nkosi
Nkosi Characters
Nymph, Marsh
Oozasis
Ostinato
Possessed Pillar
Prismatic Beetle Swarm
Pygmy Trumpet Elephant
Ravenala
Rotting Wind
Sand Hag
Sand Silhouette
Sandwyrm
Sarcophagus Slime
Sathaq Worm
Scorpion, Night
Scorpion, Stygian Fat-Tailed
Scorpion, Swarm
Serpopard
Skin Bat
Skitterhaunt
Snake, Swamp Adder
Snake, Zanskaran Viper
Sphinx, Gypsosphinx
Spider, Sand
Subek
Tendril Puppet
Titan, Degenerate
Titan, Southlands
Titanoboa
Tosculi
Tosculi Hive Queen
Tosculi Warrior
Tosculi Drone
Tosculi Characters
Tusked Skyfish
Tzipori
Vesiculosa
Vine Lord
Wakane
Wandering Acacia
White Ape
Xhkarsh
Zimwi

3 Likes

I made those lists (they were originally posted on the WotC forums before ToA was released). The reason no DL monsters are included is simple - I didn’t have the book at the time and the lists weren’t updated when we compiled them for ToA :smiley:

2 Likes

I…what? The Sarkrith is in the Fiend Folio, which I assumed someone paged through in order to make that list. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Sorry - misquoted you. I was referring to the DL monsters :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries, but that makes more sense. :smile:

1 Like

Iirc, someone said one of the official design goals of the setting was to limit the inclusion of materials from other settings to keep the uniqueness of the different settings. I can’t remember who said it or where, but it was a discussion long ago regarding ravenloft and alquadim content in darksun. Makes sense from a business prospective.

I’d include anything that feels right, to me, and have fun giving it that dark sun twist. There’s a lot of material out there that I’d never use and my players would never experience otherwise. For example, You wouldn’t encounter a camel (I like the reptile/insect mounts) in my game, but you could come across a unique inactive tinkercraft steed that looks similar to a camel. If you can fix it, you could use it.

3 Likes